IGNORED

Anyone Upgrading Their Shimano Brakes?

AustinBike

Looks like we will be spending a month in Santa Fe if everything works out and I am trying to figure out which bike to bring. My hardtail has crappy SRAM brakes and I need to pick up some Shimanos so that I can ride some real trails.

If anyone is doing an upgrade and wants to sell me their old Shimano, let me know. Otherwise I'll just put in an order online, looks like SLX's are about $225 from the UK.

I was having endless trouble with my older SLX brakes, so I moved to TRP Slate 4 brakes. they're terrific so far. the pads are the same shape as some of Shimano's 4-piston brakes, so replacement pads are easy to find. you can bleed them with the Shimano bleed funnel too. not sure if the price is similar, but if you can find a deal on TRP brakes, I'd give them a try.

SRAM brakes suck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I was having endless trouble with my older SLX brakes, so I moved to TRP Slate 4 brakes. they're terrific so far. the pads are the same shape as some of Shimano's 4-piston brakes, so replacement pads are easy to find. you can bleed them with the Shimano bleed funnel too. not sure if the price is similar, but if you can find a deal on TRP brakes, I'd give them a try.

SRAM brakes suck.

The reason I stick with Shimano is because I can bleed them easily and all of my bikes have XT or XTR on them. I'm like Southwest with 737's. Except for that one hard tail.

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I've ordered a bike and I'm either going to replace the XT brakes with my XTR, or get rid of the XTR brakes.  The problem is I don't know when my bike is coming.   Hopefully soon.

Based on all this rain you better go check your garage, it may be there already.

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

The reason I stick with Shimano is because I can bleed them easily and all of my bikes have XT or XTR on them. I'm like Southwest with 737's. Except for that one hard tail.

TRP use the same bleed process. when I got mine, I flushed them out and replaced the oil with Shimano oil because I have a huge bottle of Shimano fluid. one year later, no problems.

23 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

my Slate 4 levers fit a Shimano bleed cup just fine. I had Hylex brakes on my gravel bike at one point and the fitting was different.

There's an adaptor for drop bar levers bleed cup.  Interestingly my new gravel bike included the adaptor.