IGNORED

Everesting

TAF

To further expand on my comments...  I think if you ask any other person what they think about some of the stuff we do, they would also say it doesn't sound like fun.  I mean, riding 360, Courtyard and City Park on a MTB is no fun at all.  One lap of LGT = fun.  more than 1, maybe fun maybe not?  Tour das Hugel is incredibly fun, but I tell my non-riding friends and they think I'm nuts just for the fact that I ride on roads with cars let alone doing the hardest hills in town in a 100+ mile ride.

For me hill repeats is for training.  I would have never set out to do 20 2/3 repeats of Big View except for the fact I was training for Leadville with a coach, and my assignment was to do 12k feet total (same as Leadville) to get used to it.  I don't have unlimited time (far from it in fact) so my goal was to find the fastest way to do them.  Well, it's nothing like the real thing at all physically, but mentally it sure does prepare you.  

For me doing these painful and repetitive things (24hr races, repeats) helps me learn something new about myself.  Watching that YouTube video from Vegan Cyclist about Death Valley was interesting because I totally know what he was going through--not because I've done anything like it--but because I can still remember my first try at a 24hr race and going through those same things.   Some of the commenters making fun of his whining obviously had never done something like that.  I guarantee you J Bishop knew exactly what Vegan dude was going through.

Repeats are not actually fun.  They don't sound like fun when I get started on them, but there's something about getting into a rhythm and being in the zone while doing them.  I think maybe for me some of this stuff is like meditation.  I don't particularly think of meditation as fun either, but it does feel good when you do it.  For that matter, every race I do, usually from the time the alarm sounds through halfway through it I ask myself, "Why TF do you sign up for this stuff?" then I finish and feel really good, or don't finish and learn something new.  🤷‍♂️

Since I did repeats, I talked to another buddy that was also coached by the same coach and he was not up to doing repeats but basically did bigger loops.  Since then I found a neighborhood loop that gives me pretty good elevation gain vs time/distance and it's less monotonous...but I still want to try Everesting just to see what it's like...maybe on my street I'll do 290 repeats.   I think first I'd like to see if I can do 12k feet in one day to see if I still got it.

Edited by AntonioGG
grammar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

That's good thinking at least keeping the descent fun!  Also, 11.5% and 276W avg climbing is definitely above what I can do right now.

No way I can put out 276W all day. Zwift was putting my FTP at 299, but surely I'd fall off pretty quick. And I haven't actually made the climb, but I was using a buddy's speed who I know to be pretty comparable--the dude I did the EB with last year.  Of course that was before I got Covid between my vaccination shots. I'm probably only about 80% of where I was pre-Covid (of top end and endurance), so I have a bit of clawing my way back to do. 

7 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Also, Barry, any thoughts to doing TdH 3x?

Nah. Since I did it on Chamois Hagar, there was some joking about throwing in Thumper to the TdH. I was tempted, but figured the risk of a sidewall rip was too great. I have certainly considered an Uber Tour das Hügel, where you add Youpon and maybe others into the mix. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I actually really like climbing, but not that much.

One year I made a challenge to climb more feet on my bike than I fly in miles on American Airlines. Logged 150,000 miles that year as I recall, feet climbed were somewhere around 300,000 if I remember correctly. That is a pretty difficult thing to do in a year where you are also taking that many trips. Most of the miles flown were Asia and Europe and those trips were mostly 1-2 weeks in length, so when I got back to Austin I had to do a ton of riding to catch up.

• Like 1

I completed a number of the 100 mile of nowhere challenges- I rode the same 8.5 mile loop 12 times/ then in later years made it a 10 mile loop here in SR.  There were people who did it on a 400m track, on an aircraft carrier deck and so on.   Before he quit the effort (it raised money for cancer) I had planned out a 1.5 mile route by 3M that was then empty (now its full of homes) to avoid all the traffic.
Couldnt find the original info on it but here is the blogger who started it.
http://www.fatcyclist.com/2016/11/16/100-miles-of-nowhere-race-report-winner-of-the-mostly-true-division/

This fool did it on a small neighborhood block with less than 1/2 mi laps in an area so flat the tallest thing around is a fire ant mound. All the while blasting death metal in his ear buds. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2021 at 8:36 PM, Chongo Loco said:

I have a friend in S La that comes up with nutty mental challenges like the time he did a century riding just around his block. I’m sure he’d try this if there was any elevation there. It’d take 15000 mi there emoji1.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fat cyclist used to do a diy charity ride, The Race to Nowhere. It was intended to be a 100mile ride, not on a trainer, in the smallest footprint you could manage. That feels very covid appropriate.

My route, never actually done, was my cul-de-sac, 400 laps.

2 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

Fat cyclist used to do a diy charity ride, The Race to Nowhere. It was intended to be a 100mile ride, not on a trainer, in the smallest footprint you could manage. That feels very covid appropriate.

My route, never actually done, was my cul-de-sac, 400 laps.

One of my yearly rides is the JF100. 100 miles on a single speed. Austin streets, the occasional gravel trail, never leave the city limits. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

One of my yearly rides is the JF100. 100 miles on a single speed. Austin streets, the occasional gravel trail, never leave the city limits. 

As I get back into training for future 24hr races, I am thinking about good 100+ mile rides. I'm off of 360, so was thinking doing laps on the full length of 360 would make a lot of sense, my house at 2222 would make for easy pit stops. Throw in some trails and gravel access roads on the rock cuts. 100 miles and never more than 15 miles from home. 28mi laps and 1800' of climbing per lap.

image.thumb.png.b6d7a1e21fd2f4cb3b6727a07a8415f6.png

Edited by Mattlikesbikes

32 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

100 miles and never more than 15 miles from home.

Is that <=15 miles from home a hard requirement?  I ride on 360 but the traffic is soul sucking for me.   There's a smaller loop you can do from Jester which @circuitbreaker taught me with tons of elevation and I think still will stay close to Jester.

7 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Is that <=15 miles from home a hard requirement?  I ride on 360 but the traffic is soul sucking for me.   There's a smaller loop you can do from Jester which @circuitbreaker taught me with tons of elevation and I think still will stay close to Jester.

I don't really mind the traffic on 360, particularly on a Saturday morning or on my lunch rides. Back when I lived near WC my regular was to get on Parmer and west till it ended. That would make for another decent route, though Parmer has gotten really busy.

On a weekend I think the dam loop is pretty good and safe enough. But gets far from the house. That said, I am only thinking about close to home on something like a 100mi shake down ride or something. 

On my new short list is ride to BC/SN (14), do a full pull (20+), then ride home (14)

• Like 1

I used to do Parmer from Riata Tech park to 29 and back 2-3x a week, then 45-70 (to Andice or Sun City) and back on weekends.  It's crazy busy now.  It used to be on weekends we'd see more cyclists than cars.

I also used to do the Dam loop regularly.  360 is not a problem but 620 south of 4-points is nerve wracking.   I probably don't start early enough.

13 hours ago, crazyt said:

I did the haleakala climb which is 10K ft in 25 miles. So 3 of that - no thanks..

I have an aunt & uncle who live in Maui.  I've always wanted to so the haleakala climb.  However, I did do Grand Mesa in CO this past fall.  It was 7k ft in 25 mi and by far longest climb I've ever done.  Can NOT imagine doing it 4x's!  

https://www.strava.com/activities/4125423382

• Like 1

So there is the far west hill, 368 feet of climbing over .7 miles, so that would be 79 laps, just under 55 miles....

Not a busy road, great bike lanes going up and down, very doable.  If someone chooses to do it, I live near by, and would love to over support for the day

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not quite an Everest, but certainly an interesting challenge to consider for some of you studs out there. Anyway, nicely done video and worth a watch even if you just want to see how it's done by someone else. At the end of the video there are details on how to document your own #BentonvilleTrailChallenge and possibly win cool prizes. Contest is not limited to riders who finish in one day - just need to tell a compelling story and follow the rules as noted below. C'mon it's only 17K of climbing!

1) Ride all of Bentonville's trails by the end of year. You can do it all at once as Payson did, or take it in smaller chunks at whatever pace you like. 2) Document and share your progress on Instagram with the hashtag #BentonvilleTrailChallenge, and save your posts as a highlight on your profile. The most compelling/inspiring/creative stories win. If you're a retro grouch and don't have Instagram, you can write us a beautiful essay and/or submit your video(s) to theadventure@paysonmcelveen.com 3) Join the Bentonville Trail Challenge STRAVA club to prove your progress.