IGNORED

Shock maintenance

tomreece

I am new to full suspension.

I just watched an "every 50 hour maintenance" rear shock video and was baffled. Do I really need to take my bike in to a shop every 50 hours for this type of intense maintenance for my shocks?

What steps can I take per ride to keep shocks operating correctly?

Protecting the seals by cleaning as fontarin mentions is most important. (boots for shocks and those little front fenders for forks are good precautions as well)

Checking the air spring periodically, keeping it adjusted for 20% or so of sag, is another way to reduce wear or damage from bottoming out.

Then, learning how many of the shocks are pretty easy to work on sews it up in the end. If you are even slightly mechanically adept it may be only a matter of buying a seal kit and doing the work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fontarin said:

Always wipe any dirt/dust off with a cloth or something after each ride.

I usually do service on mine once a year and it's fine.  If it's been especially bad or I've been riding a ton, maybe I'll do it after 8 months or so, but that's not the norm.

I second this comment 

58 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Protecting the seals by cleaning as fontarin mentions is most important. (boots for shocks and those little front fenders for forks are good precautions as well)

Checking the air spring periodically, keeping it adjusted for 20% or so of sag, is another way to reduce wear or damage from bottoming out.

Then, learning how many of the shocks are pretty easy to work on sews it up in the end. If you are even slightly mechanically adept it may be only a matter of buying a seal kit and doing the work.

And this one

WARNING WILL ROBINSON....

When servicing shocks/forks.... MAKE SURE... To get all the air out... Before attempting to open.

I'm speaking from experience with a FOX shock. Thankfully my head was a little to the left of the trajectory of the piece I unscrewed.

And if for any reason it seems to be hard to unscrew... Chances are there's still air in it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, csmceuen said:

I just use an old vitamin bottle, but to each their own. This looks way easier though.

I like this tool (the fox branded one works too) because it guarantees that it gets tapped in straight since the long extension slides down past the first set of bushings. No way to get it wrong.

In the subject of letting the air out, make sure you do it slowly and cycle the shock a few times, then let out more, repeat. If the shock sucks down and is hard to pull out, put air back in it and repeat the above.

I made this mistake the first time I took the air can off and I didn't realize that air got stuck in the negative chamber. Long story short, I ended up having to replace the seals. Not huge deal, but unnecessary at the time.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

Locked is really just a term. Most shocks today don't fully lockout. It's really just an extra firm platform. They do that so you don't damage the shock if you were to forget to unlock it on downhill. You should be able to feel a difference between the two settings The locked should be much firmer.

• Like 1