IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Damn, did they cut apart that tree on the left to do this?  I assume the crew working on the sidewalk is responsible??  Did you clear it?  [emoji846]
 ..Al

I tried, full sized tree. My sissy arms couldn't pull it out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't not no never rid this action and this thread has had me chompin' at the bit to give Brushy a whirl for some time now.

The stars have all aligned and I'm thinkin' I'll traipse into the big city this afternoon and "sequence" some of this Brushy trailage.

I've bookmarked the caltopo link, and if anyone who knows the place would let me tag along for a tour that would be even betterer.

The promise of beer and pizza nearby has only added to the allure this riding area offers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ridenfool said:

Ain't not no never rid this action and this thread has had me chompin' at the bit to give Brushy a whirl for some time now.

The stars have all aligned and I'm thinkin' I'll traipse into the big city this afternoon and "sequence" some of this Brushy trailage.

I've bookmarked the caltopo link, and if anyone who knows the place would let me tag along for a tour that would be even betterer.

The promise of beer and pizza nearby has only added to the allure this riding area offers.

I'd be happy to show you around this afternoon. I'll PM you to see if we can make it work. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tatternutz said:

I tried, full sized tree. My sissy arms couldn't pull it out of the way.

@Ridenfool and I cleared it as best we could with no tools. At least you can ride through there now. Trails were still in great shape by the way, despite some dampness. A few slick rocks on Deception but not too bad.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, biga9999 said:

How's the concrete looking? Another pour incoming?

I rode by this morning and, despite their best efforts of not putting up barriers, nobody seems to have rode/walked on the new section to leave marks. 

They still have quite a bit to go, so there is still a very good chance they will have the opportunity to redo a section. I’m baffled after the first incident they didn’t buy a roll of yellow or orange tape to at least attempt a barrier, it seems like the simplest form of common sense. 

I rode by this morning and, despite their best efforts of not putting up barriers, nobody seems to have rode/walked on the new section to leave marks. 
They still have quite a bit to go, so there is still a very good chance they will have the opportunity to redo a section. I’m baffled after the first incident they didn’t buy a roll of yellow or orange tape to at least attempt a barrier, it seems like the simplest form of common sense. 
They should go across Parmer and steal the Sidewalk Closed signs that those contractors had the sense to put up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, throet said:

@Ridenfool and I cleared it as best we could with no tools. At least you can ride through there now. Trails were still in great shape by the way, despite some dampness. A few slick rocks on Deception but not too bad.  

Thanks again for your tour guide services, without which I might still be wandering around out there. Glad we could rearrange that pile of stuff and open up that section.

It was a lot of fun, give or take the chiropractic adjustment I received on Mulligan. (speaking for tall riders everywhere, those not-quite-low-branches are actually dangerously low branches for us) I need to carry some flagging tape so I can hang a streamer on offensive branches that remain hidden behind my visor, until they make themselves known. When I hit I felt and heard vertebrae popping from my neck on down to almost mid-back making a noise like brrrrrrraaaaaap, as maybe a dozen or more were "adjusted" by that pesky oak. I stopped immediately and took an assessment, but all seemed well. I'll see how it feels in the morning.

Great temps today as long as we kept moving. After 12 miles or so I'd had enough and bailed onto the sidewalk for the last half mile to the Y parking lot. @throet hit some more singletrack, then stopped by the parking lot for a visit before I headed out to find some breakfast. Decided to roll out of town on Parmer and found a place called the Silver Grill that fit the bill nicely. Because I admire how The Dude abides, I had a Stella Ar-toes, then, because I feel The Duke also abides, I had the John Wayne omelette and washed that all down with some coffee. It was about 6:00PM by then and with a full belly I moved onward, thru the fog (and through Manor, and Elgin, and McDade) as I meandered back to la casa. Has anyone else noticed that Austin traffic sucks?

A finer day of riding I would have never expected considering how dismal it looked outside. Glad we made the effort. Loved riding Brushy and all the work y'all have done there is fabulous. Looking forward to visiting it again, with even better weather next time. Though the air conditioning today was appreciated. Couldn't have asked for better company, it was a pleasure riding with you.

Oh, and I wanted to weight in on the 1/4 Notch debate. The trail is really at least 23/64 of a notch up from Walnut ... just saying.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2019 at 5:55 PM, Albert said:

So those assholes cut down a tree to block the path?  What the hell?

It was more than just one tree. Two or three had been pushed over into the trail with their roots pulled from the ground. Maybe another twenty or so branches had been cut off nearby trees and piled into it as well. It was pretty well knitted together to make it challenging to remove. But, I've been outsmarting Cedar and other trail flora for a long time. :classic_biggrin:

It looked like it was probably Plan B, after their first non-attempt to block the fresh concrete, because clearly it was those damn mountain bikers steering off a trail that goes back into the woods away from the sidewalk. Someone must have thought the traffic previously encroaching onto their wet concrete could have only come from here, right?

In lieu of using the more traditional barricades and signs, this was their very best idea toward protecting the newly poured sidewalk. I'm guessing there was a brain-trust involved in the decision making as it usually takes a committee to decide upon applying the least effective method to address a problem.

• Haha 3

Jackhammer the concrete and charge Cedar Park to repour it.

I checked it out from the main concrete path to where they had stopped pouring it and everything was dry. Their trail blockage took more time and effort than putting up a sign or tape.

13 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

It looked like it was probably Plan B, after their first non-attempt to block the fresh concrete, because clearly it was those damn mountain bikers steering off a trail that goes back into the woods away from the sidewalk. Someone must have thought the traffic previously encroaching onto their wet concrete could have only come from here, right?

I can tell you that's exactly what they thought.  The one guy implied that trail had been added after the started pouring the concrete.

10 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

Jackhammer the concrete and charge Cedar Park to repour it.

My impression from the guy's anger was that it came out of their pocket.

18 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I can tell you that's exactly what they thought.  The one guy implied that trail had been added after the started pouring the concrete.

My impression from the guy's anger was that it came out of their pocket.

They were only mad because they're city workers and now they were gonna have to work.

• Haha 1