IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

17 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

A hiker or kid will surely never see the biker coming down that fast from that far down , it might be in our very best interest to block that before something bad happens. 

I can attest to this. I have almost hit someone here when bombing and nearly been hit whilst running it...neither is good. Maybe a little branch trimming could fix this up a bit and increase visibility? 

I noticed that very recently , it is rather new actually. 
Approaching the bridge (headed on the path toward the Sports Park) you can go the traditional way , which is drop in to the right and then down the hill and then left under the bridge or right up to DD.
But if you choose from path the left side you can drop down fast and hard and cross the path and up the other side at the start of Picnic X. Crazy fun stuff. 
I hate to be the fun governor here because that thing is fun as hell and so fast ,, but Smithy is right that is a bad thing waiting to happen. There is zero visibility for the biker coming down that thing and crossing the path at the bottom. I can count 4 spots that someone can get creamed there. I can only imagine at how screwed some kid or dog or jogger or another biker would get with some ass clown bombing down and across that thing oblivious to the fadct he or she is crossing a spot that has 4 trail directions crossing it.
A hiker or kid will surely never see the biker coming down that fast from that far down , it might be in our very best interest to block that before something bad happens. 

I'll look at improving site lines as option. This is definitely a line that just got rode in no work was done. But I like it and would hate to close it. It also would be a nightmare to try and close off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I always approach this one cautiously - meaning I send a buddy in front 🙂 

Seriously, I've been concerned about this section for awhile.  With 4 entrances to this tiny section, several paths through it, and poor visibility in all cases, it's looking for trouble.  I came through there in what is probably the most predictable path and there was a guy standing in the middle with an off-leash little 5 pound guinea pig sized dog.  I nearly wiped them both out.

I don't have suggestions, only another vote that it's a concern.  And if someone has a solution, I'll work a shovel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

I'll look at improving site lines as option. This is definitely a line that just got rode in no work was done. But I like it and would hate to close it. It also would be a nightmare to try and close off.

I think in this case at his junction this is case of give and take. We all agree it fun as hell. But the consequences are truly severe (see what i did there?)  It is not hard to close.. Look at the fences put up along Picnic. There are no shortages or rocks\wood there also.

This is a give and take thing and as much as Id be seriously pissed to get hit there, I'd be twice as mad if someone innocent got nailed and hurt and we lose access somehow. Oh, and Id feel bad for them.  

• Like 5

I think in this case at his junction this is case of give and take. We all agree it fun as hell. But the consequences are truly severe (see what i did there?)  It is not hard to close.. Look at the fences put up along Picnic. There are no shortages or rocks\wood there also.
This is a give and take thing and as much as Id be seriously pissed to get hit there, I'd be twice as mad if someone innocent got nailed and hurt and we lose access somehow. Oh, and Id feel bad for them.  

I still think sight lines is the first step. I'm not alowed to build fence along bcrt. County does all that when needed and or requested. Rocks will get moved and so would wood. I'm not saying it's impossible just it would be a battle of people unblocking. And if we ask the county to build that fence then I have to talk to them. Don't make me do that. But seriously . Sight lines is the first option. If that is not good enough then we can go the other route.

• Like 2

Speaking of blocking/unblocking, the cheater lines at this spot were cleared back out again, on both sides this time. I've reblocked this one twice now, but left it today because I wasn't sure I remembered all the places @First-Blood said he modified today. I'm guessing this wasn't one of them, but thought I'd be safe. Just say the word and I'll move all the stuff back next time I'm out there. If anyone's got any suggestions for a more permanent solution or a different approach, I'm all ears.

IMG_20190314_124019786_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8a2941fa52827f639978470907e0008.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, schoolie said:

Speaking of blocking/unblocking, the cheater lines at this spot were cleared back out again, on both sides this time. I've reblocked this one twice now, but left it today because I wasn't sure I remembered all the places @First-Blood said he modified today. I'm guessing this wasn't one of them, but thought I'd be safe. Just say the word and I'll move all the stuff back next time I'm out there. If anyone's got any suggestions for a more permanent solution or a different approach, I'm all ears.

IMG_20190314_124019786_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8a2941fa52827f639978470907e0008.jpg

I've been re-blocking those almost every ride for the last few years... it has almost become habit to stop there and start grabbing limbs etc.

• Like 1

Is it possible for PicnicX to be extended all the way to 183A and then continue to YMCA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it possible...yes. will the county allow it. Not last time I pitched it. I have someone outside our crew and knowledgeable plugging away with a different approach to them on this matter as we type. And hopefully the will come around. Also the trail couldnt go all the way to the YMCA area. The space becomes very narrow and not worth the hassel. But it can easily get as far as the entrance to Rim. This would allow the entire trail system that lays in Wilco territory to be looped and ridden in various ways without ever touching the bcrt. Why the county would be against reduced mtb traffic on the bcrt is besides me. Especially since it's one of their biggest complaints is us crazy people on bikes going to fast and such.

Speaking of blocking/unblocking, the cheater lines at this spot were cleared back out again, on both sides this time. I've reblocked this one twice now, but left it today because I wasn't sure I remembered all the places [mention=227]First-Blood[/mention] said he modified today. I'm guessing this wasn't one of them, but thought I'd be safe. Just say the word and I'll move all the stuff back next time I'm out there. If anyone's got any suggestions for a more permanent solution or a different approach, I'm all ears.
IMG_20190314_124019786_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8a2941fa52827f639978470907e0008.jpg[/img]
Ok reblock. I'll make a sign tonight and get out there in next few days. thanks

How about getting a few people out there with a tool to move some rather large boulders into place that can't be easily moved by one or two people?  
That would be crazy. A coordinated effort?! Haha. I joke. But Yea man. Feel free to get that done. I have been hitting up others areas in my rare free moments. No one knows where the other trail steward is at. I think he is dead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Ok reblock. I'll make a sign tonight and get out there in next few days. thanks

This is one of the spots, where I enjoy the challenge, but the large wound on the oak in the right makes me sad.  If it weren't so narrow already, I'd say armor the tree.

Edit to add:  I'm not the one unblocking.  I just wanted to make that clear.

Edited by AntonioGG

This is one of the spots, where I enjoy the challenge, but the large wound on the oak in the right makes me sad.  If it weren't so narrow already, I'd say armor the tree.
Edit to add:  I'm not the one unblocking.  I just wanted to make that clear.
I think it's an elm. But still. I know. My plan here was to armor in a way that kept the challenge. If people still dab then it needs to be re routed. I've been trying to come up with a reroute that would be just as challenging.

• Like 1

Puzzler took me quite a while to master, but it's really not that hard with the right approach and speed. I take a line wide to left while peddling hard and blast right over the rocks, works every time. As for the drop in on the North side of the H&B at PicnicX I've never ridden it because I assumed it was cut in by riders who were too lazy to drop in over the tree roots or the the whoops. When you think about people moving the blocks or bypassing lines it makes me think of going to a friends house and rearranging their furniture to fit my needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chief said:

Puzzler took me quite a while to master, but it's really not that hard with the right approach and speed. I take a line wide to left while peddling hard and blast right over the rocks, works every time. As for the drop in on the North side of the H&B at PicnicX I've never ridden it because I assumed it was cut in by riders who were too lazy to drop in over the tree roots or the the whoops. When you think about people moving the blocks or bypassing lines it makes me think of going to a friends house and rearranging their furniture to fit my needs.

I actually made it through the last time I rode it and I did the exact thing you said.  It's a no-hesitation type of  feature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First-Blood said:

I think it's an elm. But still. I know. My plan here was to armor in a way that kept the challenge. If people still dab then it needs to be re routed. I've been trying to come up with a reroute that would be just as challenging.

I have all my woodworking stuff out.  I could try to fab something out and leave it stashed somewhere in there and see what you think of it.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, Yosmithy said:

So while I was out looking for a happy ending last night, I was noticing all the little "additions" to different areas of the trails since I was out there a decade ago. One new "feature" I noticed was on the the east side (creek side) of the bridge at the end of PicnicX. Looks like someone finally made a big G-out drop that crosses over the big bermed section and then straight back up the other side. I'm sure it's a total rush to drop and then G-out, but holy hand-job batman, that looks like and head on waiting to happen with anyone down in that section.

Damn it's nice to ride again

I am not sure that that is so much of  a drop-in as it is a way out. If you are riding E2W and coming FROM the picnicX drops, not towards, then when you come down into the ditch, you can pedal real hard and make it out of there without having to do the Gs and go up the root drop or b-line out 

13 minutes ago, McRibs said:

I am not sure that that is so much of  a drop-in as it is a way out. If you are riding E2W and coming FROM the picnicX drops, not towards, then when you come down into the ditch, you can pedal real hard and make it out of there without having to do the Gs and go up the root drop or b-line out 

I'll definitely admit to riding it both ways, and it's fun in either direction. Definitely more dangerous as an entrance though, I always ease up and watch a bit before hitting it so I know there's no one coming from under the bridge, but there's not a great way to tell if anyone's coming from the left on the lower Picnic X line towards the bridge.

1 minute ago, Chief said:

I like going up the root drop.

Same 🙂

35 minutes ago, McRibs said:

Maybe so ,, But the fact that it can be bombed down into a blind area where the potential of nailing someone is legit. 

• Like 2