IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Are they going to start working on Peddlers east now?
That's up in the air. For starters it has to go through city approval again. The initial plan pitched included both sides. They wanted to use half the budget. So we stuck to the side we felt had more opportunities. Other aspect will be if it is still wanted. I think we may go for a different feel over there if we do. I already am prepared for all the haters of wide open trail. West side is definitely not tight anymore. But that's fine. If you dont like riding flowy trail where you dont have to worry about hitting bars on trees or you like your trails to remain super muddy in average rains then the new work might not he for you. Also the idea behind this trail conversion is that we need a wide variety of trails in the Brushy area. This provides yet another completely different style of trail. We got tons of real tight singletrack already that wont change from that. Once Peddlers West gets real packed in and the vegetation grows in a bit I think even the haters might change their minds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh...you can guarantee there will be haters. As First-Blood said, once it gets packed in, smooths out, and the vegetation grows back, the haters will have little to complain about...but they still will. I've already heard people complain that the triangle bridge is gone. 

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

That's up in the air. For starters it has to go through city approval again. The initial plan pitched included both sides. They wanted to use half the budget. So we stuck to the side we felt had more opportunities. Other aspect will be if it is still wanted. I think we may go for a different feel over there if we do. I already am prepared for all the haters of wide open trail. West side is definitely not tight anymore. But that's fine. If you dont like riding flowy trail where you dont have to worry about hitting bars on trees or you like your trails to remain super muddy in average rains then the new work might not he for you. Also the idea behind this trail conversion is that we need a wide variety of trails in the Brushy area. This provides yet another completely different style of trail. We got tons of real tight singletrack already that wont change from that. Once Peddlers West gets real packed in and the vegetation grows in a bit I think even the haters might change their minds.

Can't wait to see what's been done. Unfortunately work is getting in the way for a while now. Some of the exits of the berms on the original trail seemed to always have a tree right at the exit point so if that's been corrected this trail should be tits!

I hit Peddlers last night for the first time since the rains and definitely see the vision that KOM is pulling together.  I suspect that the soil make up on most of the West side of Peddlers is 50% rock, 50% dirt.  This lends itself to roughing out the trail but it will take tires and time before it reaches it's potential.  Those big flowy berms are unlike anything else around here and are going to be super fun.  Those guys really know what they are doing out there.

• Like 6

Can't wait to see what's been done. Unfortunately work is getting in the way for a while now. Some of the exits of the berms on the original trail seemed to always have a tree right at the exit point so if that's been corrected this trail should be tits!
We left one for people who like them.

• Like 1

I hit Peddlers last night for the first time since the rains and definitely see the vision that KOM is pulling together.  I suspect that the soil make up on most of the West side of Peddlers is 50% rock, 50% dirt.  This lends itself to roughing out the trail but it will take tires and time before it reaches it's potential.  Those big flowy berms are unlike anything else around here and are going to be super fun.  Those guys really know what they are doing out there.

Tires and time. Only other two options would be buying a sifting bucket. (Which we considered. Or topping with purchased dirt. (Which I doubt the city would do)

26 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

Tires and time. Only other two options would be buying a sifting bucket. (Which we considered. Or topping with purchased dirt. (Which I doubt the city would do)

Might give a shout out to DirtSurfer and his OneWheel squad to come pack it down.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

How much would purchasing the dirt run?  I agree the city probably wouldn't even consider, but I'm curious what the ball park number would be.  I could refine it more and ask what the bottom dollar would be for the sections that would need it most, and not just covering the entire west side.  

How much would purchasing the dirt run?  I agree the city probably wouldn't even consider, but I'm curious what the ball park number would be.  I could refine it more and ask what the bottom dollar would be for the sections that would need it most, and not just covering the entire west side.  
The dirt purchase isnt the only cost obviously. It takes a good amount of labor to haul dirt half a yard at best at a time into a trail like this and then place it where needed. And then shape it and compact it. And honestly it's gonna also be a constant upkeep issue. It will need replenishing dirt at times and way more attention to maintenance than a trail steward who works for free can give. It's more of a pipe dream. Natural surface trails are really the way to go. From what I saw out there I wouldn't say there is a spot that really NEEDS more clean dirt. It will all pack in fine after a few weeks of riding .

Even if some dirt fairy bought a metric shit ton of dirt, it would take hundreds of wheelbarrow trips to get it all where it needs to be. Those rocks have always been there and they will always be there. What I think we need is for people to ride the trail and those rocks will be pushed into the dirt and smoothed out. Not ‘veloway’ smooth but it should be back to the level it was before all the work started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Even if some dirt fairy bought a metric shit ton of dirt, it would take hundreds of wheelbarrow trips to get it all where it needs to be. Those rocks have always been there and they will always be there. What I think we need is for people to ride the trail and those rocks will be pushed into the dirt and smoothed out. Not ‘veloway’ smooth but it should be back to the level it was before all the work started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly what will happen. It will be nice.

5 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

A revelation revealing trail evolution via revolution. (of wheels)

42 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

The dirt purchase isnt the only cost obviously. It takes a good amount of labor to haul dirt half a yard at best at a time into a trail like this and then place it where needed. And then shape it and compact it. And honestly it's gonna also be a constant upkeep issue. It will need replenishing dirt at times and way more attention to maintenance than a trail steward who works for free can give. It's more of a pipe dream. Natural surface trails are really the way to go. From what I saw out there I wouldn't say there is a spot that really NEEDS more clean dirt. It will all pack in fine after a few weeks of riding .

That all makes sense.  I certainly wouldn't want to create more maintenance than it would already need.