IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Speaking of a homage
Please tell me the BCB refers to Eric's old page?
That would be funny

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I mean it does in a way because he and Morelice came up with it. But it has been the title we use as the volunteer force that builds and or maintains. We just PC it up a bit from Eric OG meaning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Keep It Simple Stupid" is especially important in creating a sign to be read from a moving platform, Make it easy to read the important bits at a passing glance. I.E.: 

PLEASE DON'T MODIFY THE TRAIL

This trail is built and maintained by local Mountain Bikers

If you would like to contribute your time and effort, let us know

Organized workdays happen often and you are welcome to join in the fun

For more information:

Join: Austin Ridge Riders

Visit: www.austinmountainbiking.com

My intent wasn't to make a trail sign to read at a glance. It was a WAY different approach. I tried to even place them in places where one could stop and read... maybe ponder if you will. I truly believe most people are good. And that most users modify the trail because they are naive and think that they are helping. Or that its ok because its public park land. That's what the WARNING is at the top for. It will make people stop and read. I couldn't care less about getting more people to help out. Its managed just fine as is. (Disclaimer... the last year has been challenging with a newborn but I will maintain as the trail deserves once I can again... and I appreciate all those who step up to help) oh....The email is there in small type for a reason as well.  Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I saw it on Thursday and didn’t stop as it was dark and I was moving. However, today I did stop and read it. If we go with the idea that most people are good , I think it works great. Some people are turds and they won’t stop to read it anyway so screw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong. It is an amusing sign. Anyone already "in the know" will get a chuckle out of it. These folks probably share the feelz felt when a cherished trail is altered unnecessarily.

Beyond that, it may or may not influence those members of the general public who are lacking the insight/perspective necessary for the message to sink in. These are also likely the demographic that includes those offenders adding lines. They have made it clear they are more interested in the "easy way" and reading the fine print may not be in their repertoire. :classic_rolleyes:

For contrast, here's a sign designed to communicate to the general public - Pictures and big print. 🙃

IMG_4303.jpg

People, are a problem.

Edited by Ridenfool

I saw it on Thursday and didn’t stop as it was dark and I was moving. However, today I did stop and read it. If we go with the idea that most people are good , I think it works great. Some people are turds and they won’t stop to read it anyway so screw them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You cant reach everyone. There are those that will flip you a finger screaming 'Merica no matter what.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

My intent wasn't to make a trail sign to read at a glance. It was a WAY different approach. I tried to even place them in places where one could stop and read... maybe ponder if you will. I truly believe most people are good. And that most users modify the trail because they are naive and think that they are helping. Or that its ok because its public park land. That's what the WARNING is at the top for. It will make people stop and read. I couldn't care less about getting more people to help out. Its managed just fine as is. (Disclaimer... the last year has been challenging with a newborn but I will maintain as the trail deserves once I can again... and I appreciate all those who step up to help) oh....The email is there in small type for a reason as well.  Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I seek and support individuals that exhibit EFFORT, First-Blood does just that.  First-Blood, don't waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.  Ridenfools name is just that, a fool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't get me wrong. It is an amusing sign. Anyone already "in the know" will get a chuckle out of it. These folks probably share the feelz felt when a cherished trail is altered unnecessarily.

Beyond that, it may or may not influence those members of the general public who are lacking the insight/perspective necessary for the message to sink in. These are also likely the demographic that includes those offenders adding lines. They have made it clear they are more interested in the "easy way" and reading the fine print may not be in their repertoire. rolleyes.gif

For contrast, here's a sign designed to communicate to the general public - Pictures and big print. [emoji854]

IMG_4303.jpg.b334c3fa72d4a6343ac4a70b3595a11d.jpg

People, are a problem.

Time will tell. But I predict a drop in trail modifications. Life if one big experiment. Those same people that will ignore the sign I made will surely never call to help out anyways. So I went with a more motivational sign with a slight warning or hint of aggression.

I seek and support individuals that exhibit EFFORT, First-Blood does just that.  First-Blood, don't waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.  Ridenfools name is just that, a fool.

Thank you. Meaningful. I should take this thought into consideration more.

I mean it does in a way because he and Morelice came up with it. But it has been the title we use as the volunteer force that builds and or maintains. We just PC it up a bit from Eric OG meaning.

Well I giggled and got it
Well played

8 hours ago, First-Blood said:

I remember having that convo with Eric. He asked, “what should we call ourselves?”...neither of us is particularly nice...so I jokingly responded, “The Brushy Creek Buttholes.”

Same with the trail name. Deception. I never intended for either to stick, but here we are. 

The sign will never be perfect to anyone no matter what. Ever. But it’s a step in the right direction and what this trail system attempts to represent...growth, progression, riding bikes, buttholes. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, First-Blood said:

I tried to even place them in places where one could stop and read... maybe ponder if you will.

I stopped, I read, and I pondered ……. and this is a trail I ride multiple times per week. Great job man! It sends a clear message that I think will have an impact. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Yep. I cleared the spider webs of 1/4
Trails are very nice
It is just tropical out there with no breeze

Perfect, spider web clearing is much appreciated.  I want to do a long ride (maybe 30 miles) out there today, but with 90 degree temps, stupid humidity and no breeze, not sure that will happen. 😄

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Perfect, spider web clearing is much appreciated.  I want to do a long ride (maybe 30 miles) out there today, but with 90 degree temps, stupid humidity and no breeze, not sure that will happen. 😄

yikes! we're up in Portland Or. right now and the weather is 55 and cloudy with slight chance of rain. Wish I had my MTB about now, but doesn't look like they have much trails downtown Portland. Gotta say, we're not looking forward to returning to Austin weather after this.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ridenfool said:

I've only ridden Brushy once, and, yes, I did some trail work on that ride. Throet will vouch for me.

If you've ever ridden Rocky Hill, you will likely have ridden on trails I created there. Ever ridden Pace Bend? I spent a lot of time helping build out there. Reveille Peak? Many a weekend building the original trails. Slaughter? I helped build, but have never been back to ride them, yet. Bluff Creek Ranch, yep, I've done work out there too. Others may remember more places I've volunteered on trails over the years that I've forgotten.

To answer your question, no, I haven't driven the hour-plus from Fayette County to attend any work days at Brushy. Not yet anyway. Some day I might.

Just pointing out how that sign leans more toward being a challenge to ass-hats, Some might get it, others might flip it off and go do what they want.

But do whatever you feel serves you best. If you like constantly erasing B-lines and all the other complaints I read here, this might be better than nothing,

IMHO, as it currently reads, I think that sign will fall short of rendering the desired effect.  Maybe I'm mistaken. Time will tell.

If your goal is to get other riders who are local and clearly willing to work more involved with organized trail building and maintenance, it might be of benefit to offer them an invite.

Just asking cause volunteering for trial building seems like a sore point with you and i was curious why since i dont know who you are. Know i now. With all that experience I'd love for you to come and joins us some time when were building.

• Like 1

Just asking cause volunteering for trial building seems like a sore point with you and i was curious why since i dont know who you are. Know i now. With all that experience I'd love for you to come and joins us some time when were building.

Now the big machine work is done, it's time for us to wrap up this phase of the project by performing the more detailed trail work the machines couldn't do.
We will meet 9:00am Saturday, May 25th at the Brushy Creek Sports Park by the Baseball Fields. When you enter the park from Brushy Creek road turn left at the first stop sign and drive to the end of the parking lot, that's where we will be meeting. After a brief talk, we will split into groups and head out to work on the trail. If you have tools such as loopers, rakes, pickaxes, hand saws, shovels, etc. bring them. Don't forget your gloves, water, and snacks.
It would be great to have a big turn out to ensure the trail is in the best possible shape for the race on June 15th.

• Like 1

I'm 19 miles in at Brushy. New stuff on Peddlers is going to be super fast when it's bedded in!!  Seems much more open now. 

Still have to ride Snail (perhaps twice), picnic to 1/4 Notch bailout, 1/4 notch backwards, Peddlers again, back to car. Rode everything else thus far including all (most?) of Suburban Ninja. Which really wasn't that much fun as it seriously needs to be trimmed. Gumdrop and Picnic could also use that. 

Crashed on that short section of trail opposite the playground at Champion Park. Not 100 feet into the trail my left pedal hit a tree branch hidden by the grass. Went flying off the bike!!  

Okay, enough internet, must get back on the bike!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

@Yosmithy definitely go hit this place up.  Yeah, not much in town for mountain biking.  I think there's one trail but not much to talk about.  We went toward Mt. Hood for riding, but you can ride all day at The Lumberyard and not be bored.  They have beer and really good pizza too.

Not much breeze today, but I went out and did two laps of PP, then Mulligan, and rim loop + ditch.

PP is drying out; some of the roller valleys had putty-like mud, one had water.

It looks like the large ~280° berm we made at the workday a couple weeks ago needs another slathering of dirt. Its skeletal rocks are emerging from the ground, so it needs more cover. The other big berm (someone called it 7-11 berm since it's across from the 7-11) is packed in and rides well.