IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

41 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Does the opera singing guy still go to the nut?  How about the sword fighters?  I've seen the mariachi band too.  I think it's all awesome.

Totally forgot about that guy,, Wife and I talked about him the other day actually and could not remember which park or even state we came across him.

2 hours ago, cxagent said:

Different people like different trails. Ride the parts you like and let others ride the parts they like.

I disagree, I think it's the same type of trail for the same type of rider, it's just worse now.

This thread used to generate pages of rage about someone putting a rock in front of squeeze play...

I think I need to get used to the changes on PP, but you would think with a wider trail and fewer tree gates I would go faster, not add 2 mins.  Who knows. 

I want to wait until it is finished and get used to it.  Still reserving judgment.  Appreciate all the work, even did a little myself.  

There is one spot on the berm right before the first of the 2 wooden bridges that I do not like.  It might be for drainage purposes, but there is a hump/jump in the middle and it just kills my speed through the berm.  

The first time I rode the machine cut section of PP I was surprised.  I was expecting a smooth bermy flow trail like Rainmaker in Winter Park or something.  However, that is because I was equating 'machine cut' with 'smooth' which is not correct.  If you change your mindset to 'machine cut' = 'bigger' and 'built faster' then it totally makes sense.  KOM went out there in three weeks and did what would have taken an army of volunteers many, many months or years to pull off.

The trail will bed in, the grass/weeds will grow up along the tread, and rocks will move to where mother nature and Maxxis intended.  Six months and many Strava attempts from now and no one will remember the 'before' and we'll all just enjoy the 'after'.

• Like 7

Trigger warning:  Dissenting opinion

I rode the new Peddler yesterday for the first time, and the machine built stuff is boring.  It contrasts so sharply with the excellent hand built parts.  I'm confused because I've read so many positive opinions of the new stuff here.  I mean it's not even close.  

We have all tons of tech singletrack around. What's wrong with open flow. .... Also have a little patience that it will grow back in a bit and be more singletrack feel but still open flow. If you still don't like it after it grows back in then fine don't ever write it nobody really cares if you ride it or not. It's not for you... But guess what it is for a lot of other people a good trail. Also no offense to the hand built stuff because I do like hand built... but Peddlers as it was ...was a a nightmare for sustainability. It didnt drain at all. That's was half the job of machines...make the flat trail drain faster. And because I don't know who you are and have never heard your name or can't correlate your mojo name with you in real life I'm gonna assume you haven't even help once with any of the trail in its lifetime... time you really have less of opinion that matters to Peddlers trail steward at this point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I disagree, I think it's the same type of trail for the same type of rider, it's just worse now. This thread used to generate pages of rage about someone putting a rock in front of squeeze play...   

We get it..you dont like change or open trails. But it is faster now. And you are able to practice going even faster while pressing bike through corners. That was the intent. Not to be the same trail . what don't you understand about it's an open flow trail a completely different style of trail now it's not a techie single track trail it's not what it is or gonna be. It's fine if you don't like it just no need to trash talk or argue what other people do like. If you like to ride tight trails where you had to slam on the brakes and avoid trees from hitting your handlebars all the time or techy rock gardens ...go ride deception that's what it's therefore go ride Mulligan it's even more so like that go ride suburban ninja the point is those types of trails already exist Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biga9999 said:

I think I need to get used to the changes on PP, but you would think with a wider trail and fewer tree gates I would go faster, not add 2 mins.  Who knows.  

I haven’t been out there since last Saturday so I don’t know what new work has been done. 

My first few laps were slower, but after I learned how it flowed I put up a time better than on the previous trail. I think it will be even faster when the work is done on the last few sections. Remember when it was dry those sections carried the most speed, but now don’t have berms and were even muddy and sticky when I rode Saturday. 

Hopefully during the workday tomorrow we can finish it all out. 

I want to wait until it is finished and get used to it.  Still reserving judgment.  Appreciate all the work, even did a little myself.  
There is one spot on the berm right before the first of the 2 wooden bridges that I do not like.  It might be for drainage purposes, but there is a hump/jump in the middle and it just kills my speed through the berm.  
With 50 Percent less effort I was 30 seconds faster on the trail every time I rode it. And as for the berm section you are talking about it was basically left to be as is because it was a soup bowl trying to move it around as of today it's already different

Also Peddlers used to be the last trail able to ride after a rain. It had a ton of drainage issues. Once you can ride the trail much much faster after a rain hit one might change their opinion. Even if you are the type who hates change.

2 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Also no offense to the hand built stuff because I do like hand built... but Peddlers as it was ...was a a nightmare for sustainability. It didnt drain at all. That's was half the job of machines...make the flat trail drain faster.

I agree with First-Blood 100%.  This was by far the thing I noticed the most.  Having worked a little at Peddlers here and there, and having drainage problems of my own in my backyard, I think by far the best part of the machine cut work is going to be the drainage.  For comparison, look at the work done at Walnut Creek.  When it was first there it didn't feel flowy, in fact it felt slower, but I just rode it after a few weeks/months of rains, and it's amazing how that trail is settling in beautifully.

I wasn't any faster, I want my money back. I'm an emotional basket case now.

Easy Tiger...
The first few times I road the new and improved PP I was out of sorts. After all I was very used to the previous version(s)
So I took a different approach and stopped riding for time or at the same pace I was accustomed to. Instead I road the trail slow to moderate, like 20-25 minutes. I learned the trail more and I looked at the berms the flow and surface. I took it slow and easy till I got used to it. Then I slowly increased my pace and became quicker again through there.
KOM did awesome. Honeybadger did awesome and thanks to the City for allowing this to even be possible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

Trigger warning:  Dissenting opinion

I rode the new Peddler yesterday for the first time, and the machine built stuff is boring.  It contrasts so sharply with the excellent hand built parts.  I'm confused because I've read so many positive opinions of the new stuff here.  I mean it's not even close.  

I didn’t like it the first time I rode it. The berms were not near what I expected. It was bumpy. Still had lots of rocks. I was a little disappointed. But, I’ve ridden it a couple of times since then and, it’s settling in. Lines are starting to develop. Turns are smoother. It really starting to make sense. Give it some time. Wait a little bit and try it again. I wasn’t blown away at first. But I’ve liked it better every time I’ve ridden it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Easy Tiger...
 Instead I road the trail slow to moderate, like 20-25 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20-25 minutes is "slow to moderate"?? Hell, I just lied to someone that  I busted out a lap at 35 minutes!

Seriously though, it's a total different trail now, that was part  of all that effort that KOM put in (including Ronan).

Holy shit folks, enjoy the new stuff, get used to it. If you don't end up liking it in six months, it's probably because you suck as a rider, you have a crappy bike, and you are terrible human being. 🙂

• Like 6

I didn’t like it the first time I rode it. The berms were not near what I expected. It was bumpy. Still had lots of rocks. I was a little disappointed. But, I’ve ridden it a couple of times since then and, it’s settling in. Lines are starting to develop. Turns are smoother. It really starting to make sense. Give it some time. Wait a little bit and try it again. I wasn’t blown away at first. But I’ve liked it better every time I’ve ridden it. 

The goal is smooth. But it takes time in central Texas. We have shitty clay soul mixed with a million shale rocks. It isnt easy to smooth that out by hand. Especially when the weather was mostly rain. I challenge anyone to come sift out these rocks out of sticky clay and see if you you ever come back.  And the berms ...don't get me started I feel ya. I wanted way more

But way more meant more rocks. Also we still need to operate under the concept that this is a beginner friendly trail. It will all be gravy soon. More work was done today that I think will we well recieved. Surprisingly it was still very wet in the areas that had to be passed up til it dried. Clay f ing sucks!

• Like 1

I'm not complaining about the vegetation or technical features.  It was always a trail about flow and cornering, but now it rides like a green trail at a bike park except with zero elevation.

It was a fun challenge to ride hard enough to get on the berms and really use them, or to not go into the bushes on the flat turns.

After the machine work those turns are evenly slanted edge-to-edge.  It might possibly be faster but it's boring.  Yeah some parts are still ok, but a whole lot has been dumbed down in the fun department.  

Basically the original trail builder did a great job, and this KOM company should consider changing their company focus to digging koi ponds.  At least in Texas.

I'm not complaining about the vegetation or technical features.  It was always a trail about flow and cornering, but now it rides like a green trail at a bike park except with zero elevation. It was a fun challenge to ride hard enough to get on the berms and really use them, or to not go into the bushes on the flat turns. After the machine work those turns are evenly slanted edge-to-edge.  It might possibly be faster but it's boring.  Yeah some parts are still ok, but a whole lot has been dumbed down in the fun department.   Basically the original trail builder did a great job, and this KOM company should consider changing their company focus to digging koi ponds.  At least in Texas.  

You have no clue what the intent was. This IS a green trail. Open and flowy. That's What the trail steward wanted and what the city wanted. And the trail builder did a good good job...however the trail was a sustainable nightmare. Every corner held water. Fall lines everywhere. A lot of corners were real sharp and a good majority of the berms were deteriorated down the the rocks underneath or the logs that were used as fill. All that needed to be re worked . Thats is the nature of berms they brrak down rather easy or need constant touch ups. HB knows all this... But he did 90 percent without your help. . It was a lot of work and had to be constantly up kept. I know because I was there with him when he needed the help. You were not. I think I remember you from prior post way back. And you were always a negative dude. But I'll entertain your salty ass a little more. Come out to any workday...ever...and we can see what you are made of. Or are you in the mindset that you dont ever need to come out since your tax dollars pay for all it.  Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'm not complaining about the vegetation or technical features.  It was always a trail about flow and cornering, but now it rides like a green trail at a bike park except with zero elevation.

It was a fun challenge to ride hard enough to get on the berms and really use them, or to not go into the bushes on the flat turns.

After the machine work those turns are evenly slanted edge-to-edge.  It might possibly be faster but it's boring.  Yeah some parts are still ok, but a whole lot has been dumbed down in the fun department.  

Basically the original trail builder did a great job, and this KOM company should consider changing their company focus to digging koi ponds.  At least in Texas.

I’m going to try and not just be in 100% objection of this entire comment, but see some of what you are saying.  The berms that we’re originally built were awesome and fast, but also held an incredible amount of water. This created more volunteer work (almost 100% honeybadger) to fix it. The machine cuts have solved many of these issue. 

As for the boring part, when I first rode it I was expecting huge berms like I’ve seen on downhill videos, you know, like YouTube is always right. My first lap was slow, I felt like I didn’t get the berms and wasn’t sure what was wrong.  Then, after a few more laps, only on the west side, the flow for the berms started to make sense.  Once I learned how the exit a turn it put me in the right place for the next turn and it became apparent what was built and why.

As a note, I’m a recreational ride on the weekends that’s only been riding since late 2015 while most of the builders have been riding for much longer.  I’ve done some trail work, but maintenance work and never the creation or building a sustainable system . 

All I’m saying is give it a few more tries after it gets ridden more and smoother before completely skipping it and writing it off. 

• Like 1

I've only ridden the newly groomed section once. I think KOM did a great job with the trail. No offense to Ronan, he put a lot of sweat equity into making the trail as fun as possible but there is only so much that can be done by hand when building a trail like this one. The original berms were banked too steeply and a bit sharp when cornering. There were drainage issues everywhere as First blood pointed out, what KOM did is really smart as far as I see just from a common sense standpoint, the trail now almost seems to be raised above the surrounding terrain because they dug out the sides of the trail to allow water to drain away instead of just sitting there. There is so much rock in this area it's insane. If you were to try and eliminate all the rock you'd need to bring in dirt to replace all the rocks you removed, I know this because my yard is exactly the same terrain as brushy. I've planted trees in my yard and filled the three gallon pot the tree came in with the rock I removed to dig the hole. Regardless of how anyone might feel about the new section of trail I personally like it and give a big thanks to Ronan, KOM, and the city for building and allowing this trail in our area.

• Like 6