IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

Good turn out today for the trail crew, including the OW folks. The trail is already looking totally different..again!

I didn't see or hear any of the critics out helping today though. Maybe they got the date mixed up?

Thanks all!!

Yuuuupp! The two turns we worked on through the black clay pit are totally different and much improved now.

I was really impressed with how much rock was moved to form that first right-hander berm.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2019 at 8:47 PM, gotdurt said:

Finally got out for a low-impact trail ride on west RJ/and the Ditch... different kind of trail ride though:

brushyrc1.jpg.ca79c98b9ed56aaef217fa0652b3b964.jpg

brushyrc2.jpg.04ecfd7f964d4470fd788f96d801026f.jpg

...and I still drowned in my own sweat. Tons of riders out though, "Hero" conditions, if you aren't a sweater.

I haven't run mine in while but need to. 

scx10ii__.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, Kyle said:

I'm not complaining about the vegetation or technical features.  It was always a trail about flow and cornering, but now it rides like a green trail at a bike park except with zero elevation.

It was a fun challenge to ride hard enough to get on the berms and really use them, or to not go into the bushes on the flat turns.

After the machine work those turns are evenly slanted edge-to-edge.  It might possibly be faster but it's boring.  Yeah some parts are still ok, but a whole lot has been dumbed down in the fun department.  

Basically the original trail builder did a great job, and this KOM company should consider changing their company focus to digging koi ponds.  At least in Texas.

My 2 cents, not that anyone asked! Prior to the new trail work I hardly ever rode PP. 1) because it always seem to be to wet and 2) i normally have limited time and prefer other sections at brushy! That being said since the new work has been done I rode it a day and half after a heavy rain due to people posting it was gtg thinking there’s no way and everything was good except the rollers on the east side! +1 for KOM! Still not my favorite trail and i still will not frequent it but I can say it is my 4 and 5yr old children’s favorite trail as it is the only trail they have ever ridden and they loved it! It’s a great trail for the right people and making it sustainable, so it will continue to be available for the foreseeable future is a step in the right direction. 

• Like 9

Got a chance to ride the new and improved PP this morning. I contributed to one of the dig days, so I was really pumped to get the try it out. 

Let me first say, I’ve been riding the east side the opposite direction, and damn it’s much better this direction. 

IMO anyone who doesn’t like how PP stands today, versus 2 months ago, didn’t like PP then and won’t like it any time in the future. It’s incredibly improved everywhere. It was never a technical trail, but it’s still fun an can challenge you if you push yourself. That’s what it has always been and what it will always be. 

• Like 6

My son and I just finished riding the new PP. We have waited riding for the last month+ while the trail work was being done. The 1st words out of my sons mouth was it was so worth the wait. PP is at an entirely new fun level. Don’t mind the new rocks surfaced either. Adds to the challenge. Well done HoneyBadger and the KOM crew and volunteers who made this trail even more awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My son and I just finished riding the new PP. We have waited riding for the last month+ while the trail work was being done. The 1st words out of my sons mouth was it was so worth the wait. PP is at an entirely new fun level. Don’t mind the new rocks surfaced either. Adds to the challenge. Well done HoneyBadger and the KOM crew and volunteers who made this trail even more awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When we were out there Saturday working a family went by and they had a little girl , maybe 3rd or 4th grade. She rode by us and said real loud and happy "this is the best trail EVER!!"
Somehow hearing her and seeing the smiles of her family mean alot to me as a dad and Honeybadger and KOM should be real proud.
A trail that can make a little grom like her smile and a crusty old rider smile then that's cool.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 12

When we were out there Saturday working a family went by and they had a little girl , maybe 3rd or 4th grade. She rode by us and said real loud and happy "this is the best trail EVER!!"
Somehow hearing her and seeing the smiles of her family mean alot to me as a dad and Honeybadger and KOM should be real proud.
A trail that can make a little grom like her smile and a crusty old rider smile then that's cool.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Peddlers Pass Updated.

I’m happy to hear most people (except Kyle) are enjoying the improvements on Peddlers Pass. We’re  going to keep adding stuff until the summer heat slows us down. One thing I’m most excited about is the rollers are going to be one of the next things to be fixed. Hopefully they’ll never fill up with water again when we’re done.

A word of warning...the configuration of the second set of rollers before the left hand berm will most likely change, they could be shorter, taller, wider, thinner, 3 instead of 4, we won’t know until we get in there with the machine and start working. But all the work will be done to make sure they don’t fill up with water anymore, which is a lot better than sticking with the way they are now. So no bitchin’ please. 

As has been mentioned before, the West side is not in its finished state yet. That probably won’t happen until the fall when the grass has grown back, it’s not as wide, the final tweaks are done, the trail has been ridden in, and it doesn’t  look like a construction site anymore.

So Kyle, have some patience, and try ridding it again in 6 months, or don’t cause IDK.

The race is only a couple of weeks away (June 15th), if your on the fence about signing up for the race please do it. The more successful this race is the more likely the city is to allow other mountain bike stuff happen. 

Yesterday there was a mtb video shoot on the trail. The star of the video was the Woman’s Cat 1 National Champion, Ashley Green. The video is been made to promote the race. I’ll post a link to it when it’s finished. 

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Ha ha! She was also woo-hooing constantly through there. So worth it.

• Like 1

Rode Brushy today.

Rode Peddlers today.

Anyone complaining about that trail needs to pick up a shovel and get to work.

This is the only trail in the area where we are getting new trail on a consistent basis and seeing the support of the city. Yeah, we get trail work at WC (I've done some myself this year) but it is not really adding much new trail (we got a bit of it over the past few years) but work now is mainly repairing trail from water damage and bonewipe riders. Somehow WillCo is doing a better job than CoA on supporting trails.

Is it Bentonville? Not by a long shot. But Bentonville has a different terrain than we have, they have dirt, we have rock.

Peddlers is fine and I am happy to have it, even if it does not feel like Slaughter Pens or the Back 40. Ride it. Love it. Live it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

This is the only trail in the area where we are getting new trail on a consistent basis and seeing the support of the city. Yeah, we get trail work at WC (I've done some myself this year) but it is not really adding much new trail (we got a bit of it over the past few years) but work now is mainly repairing trail from water damage and bonewipe riders. Somehow WillCo is doing a better job than CoA on supporting trails.

The land manager at Walnut Creek has decided that there will be NO new trail. We can replace trail that has been or had to be closed - but no 'additional' trail. Why you ask? Has anybody noticed that Walnut is getting to be almost all "trail" (actually trampled brush - not actual trail). When there is no brush left to separate trails, people will walk everywhere until nothing can grow anywhere. I know, I know. It is not the MTB'rs doing most of this. But this is how the land manager is trying to deal with the problem. The best thing we can do is try to help them.

A lot of the "new" trail (most is over a year old now) is from where the big sidewalk replaced existing trails. And some trails had to be closed for safety reasons like not having high speed MTB crossing the sidewalk. The old Powerline Downhill and Ski Hill are examples. The City allowed us to replace those trails with 'new trails'. So we tried to make the newer trails more fun that the old trails.

IMHO - Wilco is in a very different situation than City of Austin. Places like Walnut are getting overrun with users of all sorts. Wilco is not seeing that problem as bad. Not yet anyway.

We appreciate the work that you guys do. 

Also, the land mass of WC is dramatically different from BC.

But, that being said, it always feels like CoA is dragging its feet on us. I pay a shitload of taxes to live in the heart of the city and it always feels like we have to fight just to get existing stuff repaired. Thank god that we have ARR on top of the situation, imagine the desert without them.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 7:08 PM, JMR said:

I didn’t like it the first time I rode it. The berms were not near what I expected. It was bumpy. Still had lots of rocks. I was a little disappointed. But, I’ve ridden it a couple of times since then and, it’s settling in. Lines are starting to develop. Turns are smoother. It really starting to make sense. Give it some time. Wait a little bit and try it again. I wasn’t blown away at first. But I’ve liked it better every time I’ve ridden it. 

Rode peddlers again today. Liked it even more today. There wasn’t any mud. No water in the rollers. The berms seemed smoother/faster. It’s getting better every time. Got a PR also. I’m impressed with all the work that’s been put into it. Good stuff!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Rode Brushy today.

Rode Peddlers today.

Anyone complaining about that trail needs to pick up a shovel and get to work.

Is it Bentonville? Not by a long shot. But Bentonville has a different terrain than we have, they have dirt, we have rock.

Peddlers is fine and I am happy to have it, even if it does not feel like Slaughter Pens or the Back 40. Ride it. Love it. Live it.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, Kyle said:

I'm not complaining about the vegetation or technical features.  It was always a trail about flow and cornering, but now it rides like a green trail at a bike park except with zero elevation.

It was a fun challenge to ride hard enough to get on the berms and really use them, or to not go into the bushes on the flat turns.

After the machine work those turns are evenly slanted edge-to-edge.  It might possibly be faster but it's boring.  Yeah some parts are still ok, but a whole lot has been dumbed down in the fun department.  

Basically the original trail builder did a great job, and this KOM company should consider changing their company focus to digging koi ponds.  At least in Texas.

Wilco does absolutely zero to support mtb trials. They won't allow anything new at Brushy. All the new stuff is on Cedar Park land. The city of cedar park has embraced mtb.  Peddlers is on city land, wilco would never allow anything like peddlers pass.

28 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

Wilco does absolutely zero to support mtb trials. They won't allow anything new at Brushy. All the new stuff is on Cedar Park land. The city of cedar park has embraced mtb.  Peddlers is on city land, wilco would never allow anything like peddlers pass.

The city has only embraced it because of your hard work and patience...please keep up the great work and let the rest of us know how we can help. 

Does the new area west of 183 that is proposed new park land fall under Wilco or Cedar Park?  I know I voted on some thread about that area, but now I can’t remember which thread that was in to reference back. 

• Like 2