IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

3 minutes ago, ahornsfan said:

So people can hop up that small cliff face coming UP the hill?  Wow.  

I know it looks tough, but at least it has a good run-up...unlike some other features out there. The easy way to go up the feature proper is to hit it on the left side (looking up) where it's a bit smoother. After that, you can try going towards the middle. I probably failed it a handful of times to start, and now I can't remember the last time I didn't clean it. 

• Like 3

I’m 270lbs age 40 and I can climb it fine. 3 years ago I couldn’t even do a mile of 1/4 notch without feeling I didn’t belong on a bike anymore. So just put in some seat time and courage. Ride with people that are better than you

• Like 4

• 5 minutes ago, Morris said:

I’m 270lbs age 40 and I can climb it fine. 3 years ago I couldn’t even do a mile of 1/4 notch without feeling I didn’t belong on a bike anymore. So just put in some seat time and courage. Ride with people that are better than you

Are you on Strava.  I'm 300lbs and 44 so it would be nice to see how I am comparing to comparable people 🙂

•  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Just FYI, this morning I rolled out to 1/4 Notch and Picnic. Ground was still very soft, with caking and rutting occurring. Exposed areas may be dry, but other areas will be muddy. Riding not advised. This afternoon some of the trails may be okay, but I’d wait until tomorrow. 

Made my apres work decision very easy. 

Disc golf! Think I’ll try that course near the  skate park. 

13 minutes ago, tomreece said:

I always try and fail the alt-line to the right of Spongebob.

After watching that video right up the middle I'm gonna try to learn that instead.

Ditto.  I can't believe I never considered the straight up approach but will try that next time.

19 minutes ago, tomreece said:

I always try and fail the alt-line to the right of Spongebob.

After watching that video right up the middle I'm gonna try to learn that instead.

Looks harder than it is, just get some speed so you don’t need to pedal while going up

• Like 2

Hmm, I'll need to look at that next time I'm out there.  I've been going to the right on the way up (through the cheater line), but that video makes it look pretty easy.  That doesn't mean it's easy, of course, and when I get back out there I'll probably be like, "Screw that!"  That's the only feature on 1/4 Notch that gives me any pause.

..Al

• Like 1

Yeah let’s not forget Gotdurt is a really really good bike handler and rider.

Going up Spongebob is really tough to do when tired because when you make the left before it you gotta step on the gas but be in the right gear in case you do need to ratchet pedal to get over the top. I always ride East to West and never ride back West to East on Deception like I did once upon a time.  I now take the fat guy way of doing all trails East to West and then BCRT and easy stuff back East toward home. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Txduc said:

1/4 I think it's more difficult east to west than the other direction.  DD I've only ridden east to west.

My best times for Deception E-W and W-E, including both 1/4 Notch and DD, are nearly identical at 51:43 vs. 51:48. So I'd say they are about the same. I would agree though that the features on 1/4 Notch going E-W are trickier than going W-E, but neither are difficult compared to what you encounter on DD, which is why I love DD so much.     

That spongebob always stopped me cold, couldn't get myself to ride down it. Then I saw a video of someone doing it and it looked REAL easy. So next I was out there, I rode down it. It was easy. I almost never ride West-East, but next time I do, I'll stop and session that spot going up.  So far, the only spot I really hate is the ledge between the 2 junipers. It's not even that big but I ALWAYS hit the fucking tree. Anyone got a vid of that (spot just a couple mins or so before Spongebob E-W)

Edited by jcarneytx

13 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Is it more like a few yards before sponge bob E-W?  The one that has green rocks that seem to stay slick longer than most?

No, a few twist and turns before that. There's a slight incline, then at the top a ledge that sits a bit diagonally across trail, with two junipers on either side of trail, a few feet apart, with another small ledge just a bit more than a bike length beyond that. Been meaning to get pics and ask about it, as I'm sure it has a name of some sort.

Ditto.  I can't believe I never considered the straight up approach but will try that next time.
The key is indeed straight up. You need to get a good burst upto the first ledge and try and be as light as possible up to the second ledge. Then place front tire on face of second ledge and as long as your momentum is good you just shift weight and lunge hips to bars and stand up and pedal out. Simple right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2