IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

3 hours ago, Morealice said:

This. You should try to ride trail focusing about 10-15 ft in front of you. That way you have already mentally “ridden” the stuff immediately under you and right in front of you. It’s tough to do but really works. I’m decent at it until I get to a feature like EBD or something more daunting. 

I normally do just that, and do fine on just about every other ledge.  This one always jacks me, though. 

21 hours ago, throet said:

Hey not so fast with the shaming man! I delivered $50 in Home Depot gift cards to Ronan on Sat during the race - $25 for @HoneyBadger and $25 for @First Blood. This was before I knew of any GoFundMe page. So although you won't see my name on the list of GoFundMe donors, please know that I pitched in. 

No worries you're good. This was meant for the other freeloaders:)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Race against the clock and our pride!

And the other time trialers.  It was fun when we raced PB to look at our one lap time vs. Cat 3's and one lap.  We would have been mid-pack for our age.  The race officials didn't know where to put us for start staggers, so we went behind the Cat 3 15-18 females, I think.  We passed quite a few of them, but gave good warning with a train horn/whistle.  Were y'all able to pass anyone?  That's got to be demoralizing to the one being passed.  It is cool how much power 2 folks can generate.  Too bad for all the deceleration involved.  Once you have a head of steam, it's tough to scrub speed.

12 minutes ago, spicewookie said:

And the other time trialers.  It was fun when we raced PB to look at our one lap time vs. Cat 3's and one lap.  We would have been mid-pack for our age.  The race officials didn't know where to put us for start staggers, so we went behind the Cat 3 15-18 females, I think.  We passed quite a few of them, but gave good warning with a train horn/whistle.  Were y'all able to pass anyone?  That's got to be demoralizing to the one being passed.  It is cool how much power 2 folks can generate.  Too bad for all the deceleration involved.  Once you have a head of steam, it's tough to scrub speed.

They started us 7 minutes in front of the Juniors! The 14 yr old who was first to start made 6 of the 7 minutes up but to be fair he not only won the junior race but then went and won the cat 2 adult race and had the fastest cat 2 lap! Second lap we got passed but had a flat tire when we did.

Edited by 4fun

8 minutes ago, 4fun said:

They started us 7 minutes in front of the Juniors! The 14 yr old who was first to start made 6 of the 7 minutes up but to be fair he not only won the junior race but then went and won the cat 2 adult race and had the fastest cat 2 lap! Second lap we got passed but had a flat tire when we did.

And could have finished 3rd in Cat 1!

17 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

I normally do just that, and do fine on just about every other ledge.  This one always jacks me, though. 

I don’t mean this too dickily, but I’ve never considered this a ledge. It must just be in your head, or maybe it’s where you start to get tired? I have spots I start to get tired based on whatever my fitness level is...when it’s real bad I get tired at Big Flats (E to W)...a flat slab of rock where the previous skinny bridge now resides...a little ways before Lloyd Bridges. That’s how I know I’m in pathetic shape compared to the past. Yesterday was my first actual day where I slowed down and enjoyed just being able to pedal a bike. Fitness and 29” wheels definitely make a lot of those pesky steps and ledges and whatnot kinda disappear. 

"Trail feature" then? Either way, pretty sure it's mostly in my head, as well as being a bit tired at that point. I don't have issue with anything else before or after that spot, but I've yet to ride through there without fucking something up, either by making it up the rock then riding into the trees or focusing on pointing through the middle of the trees and spinning out on the rock. Or something. I'll session it tomorrow, maybe break that mental habit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcarneytx said:

Was just out there. The climb up to it also is a pain. Might have to ride W-E then stop to session that spot. Rode my normal E-W and  again was really tired when I got there, heat really got to me today for some reason. 

I hear you. Maybe rest a bit before that section...after the Altar (bigish step before that section) and then push yourself harder going up the hill approaching it. I’m betting more momentum will help. In my experience, more speed/momentum mutes out those kinds of hits. As you come down the hill to the hard left preceding it, try to use your brakes as little as possible and already be in the gear you want when you hit the approach...I dunno. That sharp left used to be decently bermed but now that turn has to be finessed a lot more. It really must be fatigue because the Altar and Dub Step and The Trap are all more technical in my opinion. Anyway, I’m probably a shitty teacher and good luck broseph!

10 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

heat really got to me today for some reason

WILLIAMSON:

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM CDT
THIS EVENING...

* TEMPERATURE...Heat index values of 108 to 112.

* IMPACTS...Increased risk of heat-related illnesses including
Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, throet said:

WILLIAMSON:

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 7 PM CDT
THIS EVENING...

* TEMPERATURE...Heat index values of 108 to 112.

* IMPACTS...Increased risk of heat-related illnesses including
Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke.

I've been starting at 9-10pm and it's been pretty comfortable! Last night didn't see a single other soul. With the heat and all was expecting some others!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Morealice said:

I don’t mean this too dickily, but I’ve never considered this a ledge. It must just be in your head, or maybe it’s where you start to get tired? I have spots I start to get tired based on whatever my fitness level is...when it’s real bad I get tired at Big Flats (E to W)...a flat slab of rock where the previous skinny bridge now resides...a little ways before Lloyd Bridges. That’s how I know I’m in pathetic shape compared to the past. Yesterday was my first actual day where I slowed down and enjoyed just being able to pedal a bike. Fitness and 29” wheels definitely make a lot of those pesky steps and ledges and whatnot kinda disappear. 

From Dub to Pre Plunge is one of the sections of that trail that really gases me sometimes. For me it's one of the sections that takes a lot of effort and endurance even more so than anything in the first section of DD.

56 minutes ago, 4fun said:

I've been starting at 9-10pm and it's been pretty comfortable! Last night didn't see a single other soul. With the heat and all was expecting some others!

Just be careful.  I rode right by this guy Wed night, didn't notice until I was right beside.  It startled me a bit.

20190619_204731.jpg

• Like 2