IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

8 minutes ago, Browndog said:

Deception and Picnic were perfect yesterday. Even the big puddle on upper Picnic that was there Sunday was gone. We did not ride Peddlers because we assumed it was still wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is great news for these cool, soupy conditions today. God I can’t wait to move (in 7 years, ha). Gonna go get me some. 

13 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Wow, not sure what happened with the weather tonight, but it was excellent for riding. I just rode 1/4 notch and actually felt great for once.

PLUS I rode over Spongebob!!

Damn it feels good to be a gangster!

Up or down?

12 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

Wow, not sure what happened with the weather tonight, but it was excellent for riding.

Wish I could say I felt the same out there last night. Heading to the trails at around 7:30 it seemed great, but after a quick warm-up on Snail, I headed straight for DD. Entered at Swag Rock heading west and started feeling like the humidity was smothering me. Was failing on features that I normally have no problem with and even fell over on one of them. Frustrated and hot, I continued on, and then as I think I'm approaching the end of the first section of DD, I discover that I'm riding the same trail in the opposite direction. I'm thinking WTF I've ridden this trail hundreds of times in both directions. Felt like suddenly I was in an alternate dimension, starting to question my own cognitive abilities. So I backtrack and quickly discover the culprit. Looks like somebody cleared a path to the left coming through these trees. I blindly followed it (literally because my goggles were in a complete fog from the humidity) which had me heading back in the opposite direction. For anybody doing the same thing who doesn't know the trails well, they would have possibly just looped back to Swag Rock. I moved the pile of branches back over where I think they belong. 

IMAG2681.jpg

• Like 1

You are not crazy.  The humidity was smothering last night.  Conditions were great though.  I set PRs on Reverse Rim Job (I named it 🙂 ) and Picnic X, but I completely burned out midway through 1/4 notch.  My body was just like, nope, we are done.

• Like 1

Wow, sorry to hear this. For whatever reason last night I was rolling. I I started at about 5:30ish and finished between 6-630pm. I was already running late, and wished I had more time so I could get more riding in....weird for sure.

I know this is probably the worst time of the year to be doing this, but I'm trying to change up my routine and forcing myself to go ride 1/4 notch first and then use up whatever energy I have on other trails like PP, etc. My goal is to get back to the glory days when I could clean 1/4 notch, and even venture into part of DD. I rarely set riding goals for myself, so this should be and interesting experiment.

Please don't take this as some preachy born again I'm now a better person diatribe, but I've lost close to 30 lbs since the 1st of this year (that wasn't the plan, but it's happened, so I'm running with it). Which, I'm sure is the reason why I'm having these great rides lately. There ain't no bullshit, that carrying all that weigh really tends to affect riding. No really 🙂

So far, I've recently hit my PB on PP (18.07) and clearing more stuff on 1/4 notch than I have for years. I always blamed all my shoulder and arm surgeries for my lack of upper body strength. Come to find out it was actually that I was trying to lift too much weight. My Ass and Gut!

• Like 7

That is awesome Yosmithy.  Definitely not preachy at all.   Weight matters.  I'm trying to lost about 65 pounds over the next 9 months is my goal.  I'll admit, my desire to become a better biker is a large reason for that.    Congrats on 18.07 on PP, that's a good time.  I'm also thinking of doing 1/4 notch first from now on as well.  I've got PP, Picnic (non basket drop, and that one berm turn at the bridge) down, so I'm trying to progress through 1/4.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ahornsfan said:

That is awesome Yosmithy.  Definitely not preachy at all.   Weight matters.  I'm trying to lost about 65 pounds over the next 9 months is my goal.  I'll admit, my desire to become a better biker is a large reason for that.    Congrats on 18.07 on PP, that's a good time.  I'm also thinking of doing 1/4 notch first from now on as well.  I've got PP, Picnic (non basket drop, and that one berm turn at the bridge) down, so I'm trying to progress through 1/4.  

Don't let First Blood, Rugger and Morealice know this, but 1/4 notch is such a good section for working on progression. Even better, once you get to the end going one direction, then just turn around and start working on the reverse direction. It's a whole other set of obstacles.

Good luck on the weight loss!

• Like 2

I now usually ride 1/4 Notch backwards (West to East), and almost always towards the end of my ride..  So, this could mean I've already ridden over 15 miles, or if I did Suburban Ninja first, maybe 25 miles at that point.  In this weather doing that last is brutal, especially if the sun is still shining down on you.  I think it flows better in this direction, although still fun to do the other way as it's more challenging with the additional ledges you need to go up.  I don't ride Deception too often any more, and definitely not when it's sweltering hot.  When it's cool again I'll add it as part of my regular routine.

..Al

• Like 2

Yep. Had just made it to top of 1/4 notch, by Swag Rock, plus a few turns this way and that W-E, when rain started coming down. Turned around and headed out, but didn't quite make it before rear slipped on wet rocks. I'm counting that as a crash, so quota is met.

Edited by jcarneytx