IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

42 minutes ago, tomreece said:

I'm trying to overcome this obstacle too. I just can't go fast enough to get up it.

I've never made a serious effort to go straight up it, but after reading a previous discussion about Spongebob, I certainly want to give it a try.  It's the only serious obstacle for me on 1/4 Notch. 

12 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Looking forward to checking out the work on SN.

Is it trimmed all the way in that big, open area going north before you get to the trees?  That sure would be nice.  Needed some trimming beyond that as well, but haven't ridden it in a month, so no idea what it looks like now!

..Al

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Morealice said:

Yessss. That autumn-like cool edge to the air. I’m sure tomorrow will be right back to blast furnace. But it was oh so delicious tonight. 

I just went to CO for 10 days. Rode Durango, Salida, Boulder, and Lake Pueblo. Played a lot of disc golf. It was ONE HUNDRED degrees in Denver. I played disc and never had to towel off my hand from copious sweating, used one water bottle as opposed to killing 2 32oz bottles in a round, and shirt was barely damp in the center. 10% humidity

This humidity thing is REAL. 

Growing up in east TX, I always dismissed the dry/vs humid argument... that was until I moved to Phoenix for a few years, then moved here. Humidity is no joke. Now I try to avoid going further east than I-35 unless I absolutely have to... and I don't know how I ever lived in Houston 😬.

Oh, and "heat index", aka "feels like", is a load of crap. For instance, 96° at 50% feels nothing like 108°; it feels like a sticky, disgusting, sweltering 96. Try setting an oven at about 180°, and run your dishwasher... open the DW during the dry cycle (about 150°, "heat index" around 180) with your face close to it... then do the same with the oven... feel the same? Nope.

1 hour ago, tomreece said:

I'm trying to overcome this obstacle too. I just can't go fast enough to get up it.

Try a taller gear until you make it; use momentum instead of just trying to pedal up. There's a video in my Youtube sig where I do it on a single speed (search "Sweaty Shorts").

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

Heat index "feels like" is an extreme over-simplification.  To me the heat index tells me how well my body will cool itself.  If you have a power meter, you'll see heat index correlates better with power in a 10 minute output as opposed to just pure temperature.

Is it trimmed all the way in that big, open area going north before you get to the trees?  That sure would be nice.  Needed some trimming beyond that as well, but haven't ridden it in a month, so no idea what it looks like now!
..Al
YES! Trimmed up nice. And finally well marked with Blue flagging. (Still can be better marked) but yes night and day different from when it was a jungle.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

YES! Trimmed up nice. And finally well marked with Blue flagging. (Still can be better marked) but yes night and day different from when it was a jungle.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.  Maybe I can get out there tomorrow or Friday morning.  Interesting about the flagging, I'm curious what that's about.  I'm familiar with all the trails out there now that I'm less likely to get turned around, but I do wish the individual trails were marked with names, especially at some of the intersections where it can get a bit confusing.

..Al

I noticed that someone lost a bunch of blue/white markings along SN. There are so many in fact that I don’t really see the purpose. Reminds me of the pot of gold and leprechaun story.
05d97cded119835cfd6d4f07f235dc74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those flags guided me nicely today. Too many turns and intersections and terrain that looks exactly the same in that little area.
Shit man, look at my Strava, I've had some big mileage and never left that little area. I've gotten all lost in there a couple times.

The more I ride there the better I recognize the trails and turns.

But from Peddler following the blue flagging took me fast and true to where I ran into you that day. Now on the way back I did get twisted up a little but backtracked back to my truck more easily.

So what’s a respectable time doing the full peddlers pass? I’m having a hard time getting to sub 15 minutes. How are these beasts doing it in under 14? (I know I just need to pedal faster…and stop taking that 2 minute water break. JK). 😅

025AFB36-14B5-43FA-BF44-382B2FC9AAD8.png

Edited by radiantm3

7 minutes ago, Hugh said:

Is Peddlers one way? I assume so. Been seeing people go the wrong way and then I noticed there are no signs at entry points indicating direction.

Yea you enter to the right. Pretty sure there are arrows at the entrance indicating direction. 

People jump in at multiple points where they shouldn't.   They are not official/sanctioned/correct, but people still use them was all I was getting at.  
Not for nothing there are more "entry points" just go the right direction. Example.. enter at the concrete sidewalk by BC road and just go left .. same correct direction

• Like 1

7 hours ago, biga9999 said:

People jump in at multiple points where they shouldn't.   They are not official/sanctioned/correct, but people still use them was all I was getting at.  

That's what I'm trying to get at also. I see people cruise up the concrete path and head out on the trail.

Ultimately what I was getting at was "we" assume a direction because it's obvious to us.

I very politely tried to let someone know it was one way and I was greeted with "who the fuck are you?"

That's when I noticed there are numerous entry points with no signage.

The most problematic area is the sidewalk. But I've come across people on the other side of Parmer going the wrong way. Makes things kind of exciting when hammering.

So many people without helmets on Peddlers. Saw a kid that couldn’t have been older than 14 doing it today. I said something as i passed him and as I went around the corner I saw him laughing about it with his friends.

I wish novice riders understood that you can fall anywhere and that it’s selfish not to wear one. Someone like me is who is going to end up riding up on a rider with a busted open head. Happened to me on the regional trail. Some guy’s tire stuck on the lip of the sidewalk. Went ass over elbows and busted his head open. When I came up on him he was trying to stand up and kept falling over. Preaching to the choir here I know. Just had to get it off my chest. 

• Like 3

I think it is our duty to society to preach about it. I don't try to push my believes about anything else on people (much), but since I have cracked three helmets, I KNOW that it's just a matter of time before a helmet will help someone. And all three times it saved me I wasn't attempting anything. Just out of nowhere type things.

The one that I see that really gets to me is the parent without a helmet riding with their kid with one. Great lesson you're teaching their Dad!

And maybe the best way to get through to the teenagers is to make a show about laughing at them. Say to your riding buddy as you go past the kid, "ha ha, did you see that DORK without a helmet?"

• Like 5