IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

18 hours ago, Hugh said:

Ultimately what I was getting at was "we" assume a direction because it's obvious to us.

I very politely tried to let someone know it was one way and I was greeted with "who the fuck are you?"

That's when I noticed there are numerous entry points with no signage.

The most problematic area is the sidewalk. But I've come across people on the other side of Parmer going the wrong way. Makes things kind of exciting when hammering.

I'll be using some of the GoFundMe money to add bigger/better signage at all the entry points. Probably a 4"x4" post (or bigger) with all the information cnc'd on to the faces. I'll also be repurposing some of the cedar trees I've cut down as fencing to block the un-sanctioned entrances, especially under Parmer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Tip said:

And maybe the best way to get through to the teenagers is to make a show about laughing at them. Say to your riding buddy as you go past the kid, "ha ha, did you see that DORK without a helmet?"

I like it - from now on, instead of trying to educate I'm just going to say "You're out here without a helmet?  What a fucking moron!" and ride away.  I bet if they hear that from several of us every ride they'll get a helmet.

There's a guy that rides out there regularly with his helmet unbuckled.  I stopped him once to let him know (because I've been known to forget).  He told me he knew it was unbuckled, he only buckles it when he's in sketchy situations.  That one really confused me.

• Like 1

Had a rider in front of me one time on a sketchy downhill, didn't have his helmet on properly, smashed his head into a rock, was unconscious and bloody.  The helmet had moved out the way on the rock and his head took the brunt of it. Only reason I knew he was breathing and alive was because he started snoring.  Was in a foreign country on top of a mountain, got help and we had to carry him down to jeep road for an ambulance. I came away pissed he was not wearing his helmet properly. I always call people out for no helmets, at least it will make them think about, can't fix stupid.

2 hours ago, TheSarge said:

I like it - from now on, instead of trying to educate I'm just going to say "You're out here without a helmet?  What a fucking moron!" and ride away.  I bet if they hear that from several of us every ride they'll get a helmet.

I wasn't quite that blunt, but the other day I came up a semi-tech section at DD where a group of about 4-5 guys were gathered waiting to see if they were going to proceed on.  One guy had a helmet on.  As I rolled up the tech ledges and approached, I stated firmly, "wow! you guys are brave!".  They chuckled with a "why?" response.  As I disappeared down the trail I yelled out..
"for not wearing a helmet here!".  By the first look on their faces, I think they thought I was actually going to give them props for just being out there on the trail.  LOL.

-CJB

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I just finished my lunch time ride in Candyland where I encountered two teenage boys on the east side of gumdrop without helmets AND in flip flops.  Anyone who's riden the first half of gumdrop knows it's just a bunch of roots trying to clip your pedals and send you down the rocky hill to the river.  No clue what those boys thought they were doing out there in flip flops. 

4 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I'll be using some of the GoFundMe money to add bigger/better signage at all the entry points. Probably a 4"x4" post (or bigger) with all the information cnc'd on to the faces. I'll also be repurposing some of the cedar trees I've cut down as fencing to block the un-sanctioned entrances, especially under Parmer.

Post up if you need help getting this installed.

• Like 1

I have a helmet for seemingly every occasion, type of riding and season, and for 31 years, I always wear a helmet (well maybe not always for the first couple)...

That is, unless I forget it, and that happens on rare occasion... but I'll be damned if I'm turning around and going home without some sort of ride; it will be more calculated and less aggressive and the route might be modified to suit, but I'll admit that there's a very remote chance that you might see me without one. I have also ridden with others that talk like die-hard helmet police, but when they forgot theirs, they conveniently made an exception... My response? I mind my own business.

Feel free to call me out in the off chance that you witness such an atrocity (me without a helmet), but odds are that I'll probably just pretend that I can't hear you over my earbuds.

Edited by gotdurt

6 hours ago, gotdurt said:

I have a helmet for seemingly every occasion, type of riding and season, and for 31 years, I always wear a helmet (well maybe not always for the first couple)...

That is, unless I forget it, and that happens on rare occasion... but I'll be damned if I'm turning around and going home without some sort of ride; it will be more calculated and less aggressive and the route might be modified to suit, but I'll admit that there's a very remote chance that you might see me without one. I have also ridden with others that talk like die-hard helmet police, but when they forgot theirs, they conveniently made an exception... My response? I mind my own business.

Feel free to call me out in the off chance that you witness such an atrocity (me without a helmet), but odds are that I'll probably just pretend that I can't hear you over my earbuds.

I'll throw my helmet at you

• Haha 1

Wow, if you haven't been out to Suburban Ninja for a while like me, you're in for a surprise with all the new trail. Cafeend gave me a tour yesterday and by the end, we couldn't even figure out how we made it back to the main trail. So freaking cool!

Get out there and get lost, you'll be glad you did!

Stop at The Peddler bike shop and give them some thanks. It's so awesome we have something like this in our backyard.

• Like 3

Wow, if you haven't been out to Suburban Ninja for a while like me, you're in for a surprise with all the new trail. Cafeend gave me a tour yesterday and by the end, we couldn't even figure out how we made it back to the main trail. So freaking cool!

Get out there and get lost, you'll be glad you did!

Stop at The Peddler bike shop and give them some thanks. It's so awesome we have something like this in our backyard.

It seems confusing but really all the other trails are either a loop back to where it started or you come out real close to where you started.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

It seeks confusing but really allctue branches are either a loop back to where it started or you come out real close to where you started.

have you been riding without your helmet again?

Quick question for everyone...
How do y'all feel about helmets or at least riders who dont wear helmets.
Go>>>

I actually dont care if someone does not wear a helmet. That is totally their problem.
I'll do me. They do them. If they get hurt. Meh

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Wait, what? I've never heard a negative word regarding SRAM brakes
Exactly why you should buy my take off SRAMs. As a reward to you for finding my favorite glove I lost I'll sell mine for a friends and family discount. Hit me up. You have the number.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Cafeend said:

I actually dont care if someone does not wear a helmet. That is totally their problem.
I'll do me. They do them. If they get hurt. Meh

Except that we, as a society, bear the brunt of the cost of their years of vegetative paralysis.

I think that we should have some type of DNR scenario. It is the law to ride with a helmet. You can opt out but you have to wear a visible bracelet or something like that (think of it as an "un-medic alert"). If you crash and we find you unconscious, we get to keep riding without guilt. If you get taken to a hospital, it is all on you. Insurance does not need to pay - like if you get in an accident while drunk your auto insurance does not need to pay out.

The problem with people that don't wear helmets is that they don't clean the gene pool, they all become a burden on us, boosting our insurance and wasting our money.

What really gets me are the guys without a helmet that have pads, gloves and a camelback. I see them all the time at Walnut. WTF?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chief said:

What's wrong with your brakes is that they're SRAM.😝

I was going to be the first to say this, but I just can't make that joke anymore, because I am actually pleased with the Srams on my new Giant Trance. It's still hard to believe after the nightmare I had with those damn Sram Elixirs I had on my Cannondale. I finally "fixed" those Srams (like the old joke goes) by replacing them with Shimanos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I was going to be the first to say this, but I just can't make that joke anymore, because I am actually pleased with the Srams on my new Giant Trance. It's still hard to believe after the nightmare I had with those damn Sram Elixirs I had on my Cannondale. I finally "fixed" those Srams (like the old joke goes) by replacing them with Shimanos. 

The newer Shimano brakes are not without there own issues. Wandering bite point and pumping up for braking.

• Like 1