IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

3 hours ago, Chief said:

The newer Shimano brakes are not without there own issues. Wandering bite point and pumping up for braking.

I had that problem with my xtrs until I increased travel to max then bled them.  Bleeding them without extending the lever travel resulted in the wandering bite point and pumping up on the rear break.  Still not as solid as my Hopes though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Except that we, as a society, bear the brunt of the cost of their years of vegetative paralysis.

I think that we should have some type of DNR scenario. It is the law to ride with a helmet. You can opt out but you have to wear a visible bracelet or something like that (think of it as an "un-medic alert"). If you crash and we find you unconscious, we get to keep riding without guilt. If you get taken to a hospital, it is all on you. Insurance does not need to pay - like if you get in an accident while drunk your auto insurance does not need to pay out.

The problem with people that don't wear helmets is that they don't clean the gene pool, they all become a burden on us, boosting our insurance and wasting our money.

What really gets me are the guys without a helmet that have pads, gloves and a camelback. I see them all the time at Walnut. WTF?

🤔I always wear a helmet and require my kids to when on a bike, but I remember an article years ago on statistics of traumatic brain injury before and after helmets became mainstream in downhill skiing Due to the “I got a helmet on so I can try this drop, maneuver, etc... that I don’t have the skill set for” brain injuries were more frequent 

Edited by 4fun
  • Like 1

Except that we, as a society, bear the brunt of the cost of their years of vegetative paralysis.
I think that we should have some type of DNR scenario. It is the law to ride with a helmet. You can opt out but you have to wear a visible bracelet or something like that (think of it as an "un-medic alert"). If you crash and we find you unconscious, we get to keep riding without guilt. If you get taken to a hospital, it is all on you. Insurance does not need to pay - like if you get in an accident while drunk your auto insurance does not need to pay out.
The problem with people that don't wear helmets is that they don't clean the gene pool, they all become a burden on us, boosting our insurance and wasting our money.
What really gets me are the guys without a helmet that have pads, gloves and a camelback. I see them all the time at Walnut. WTF?
You are not wrong there. But when I see a barney rider ,, sans helmet riding past the warning signs at Brushy or Greenbelt or the Nut.. they just obviously are making a choice and your argument is not going to sway them no matter how correct it may or may not be.

The older I get the more I learn my opinions dont matter and if they choose to not wear a helmet they and their family can deal with the consequences. I choose to wear one and that is what matters to me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

You are not wrong there. But when I see a barney rider ,, sans helmet riding past the warning signs at Brushy or Greenbelt or the Nut.. they just obviously are making a choice and your argument is not going to sway them no matter how correct it may or may not be.

The older I get the more I learn my opinions dont matter and if they choose to not wear a helmet they and their family can deal with the consequences. I choose to wear one and that is what matters to me.

Absolutely. I don't tell people to wear a helmet because if you are stupid enough to ride without one you are probably unlikely to listen to me. But, if I see someone without a helmet who is lost and needs directions or has a bike problem and needs a tool, I just tell them that I have a hard rule - if you are not going to help yourself by wearing a helmet then I am under no obligation to help you either. Generally I catch shit for saying that, but once some guy (with a broken chain) had his girlfriend (also without a helmet) say "see, I told you." 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Tip said:

I was going to be the first to say this, but I just can't make that joke anymore, because I am actually pleased with the Srams on my new Giant Trance. It's still hard to believe after the nightmare I had with those damn Sram Elixirs I had on my Cannondale. I finally "fixed" those Srams (like the old joke goes) by replacing them with Shimanos. 

I'm not sure what I did, but yesterday I was trying to figure out why my brakes were dragging after pad replacements (the reason for the picture), but suddenly they seem to work "great"???

All I did yesterday, was pull the pads out, push the pistons back in, clean and reinstall. I didn't even bother bleeding. After that, I just pumped them back with the lever and went out for a short ride on SN. Surprisingly, they were tight and had a nice positive bite. Not the usual mushy crap feel I've grown to despise.

This amazing feeling lasted almost 6 miles of riding!!

Of course, I'll probably go out to the shop today and find the bike sitting in a pool of brake fluid.. Yeah, dot4 brake fluid...F'ing SRAM

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

If you hang your bike upside down or pull a backflip on Snail, the mushiness might return. A good brake bleed with positive lever feel is so rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me run out and try the backflip on snail.

If you don't see me post on here for awhile, you can probably assume the SRAM issue is the least of my worries then 🙂

Let me run out and try the backflip on snail.
If you don't see me post on here for awhile, you can probably assume the SRAM issue is the least of my worries then [emoji846]
I'm riding tomorrow at 9. I'll start at that end and check for your body

It was reported to me last night in the Deception arr email that some asshat hiker took it upon himself to start glueing foot hold rocks up the limestine drop in Daves Ditch. The person that reported it actually encountered the hiker while doing it and questioned him. The hiker said he was making it easier to walk up that. He was informed that bikers come down that and it wasnt safe but i think he kept working. Im gonna trudge my butt out there soon with a rock bar and a baby if anyone is free and wants in come join. But also if you see dumb stuff like this just remove it if possible.

HMU if you want to come 512 775 0054 Josh

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, First-Blood said:

It was reported to me last night in thebdeceptiot arr email that some asshat hiker took it upon himself to start glueing foot hold rocks up the limestine drop in Daves Ditch. The person that reported it actually encountered the hiker while doing it and questioned him. The hiker said he was making it easier to walk up that. Hebwas informed that bikers come down that and it wasnt safe but i think he kept working. Im gonna trudge my butt out there soon with a tick bar and a baby. If anyone is free and wants in come join. But also if you see dumb stuff like this just remove it if possible.

Unrelated to the event, but do you guys ride Dave’s ditch through the flowing water? A few days ago I rode down the first drop through the water and I thought I was going to die. Went perfectly straight and my bike was still going all over the place. Decided to hike back up and attempt it again another day when it’s a bit more dry. 

4 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

It was reported to me last night in the Deception arr email that some asshat hiker took it upon himself to start glueing foot hold rocks up the limestine drop in Daves Ditch. The person that reported it actually encountered the hiker while doing it and questioned him. The hiker said he was making it easier to walk up that. He was informed that bikers come down that and it wasnt safe but i think he kept working. Im gonna trudge my butt out there soon with a rock bar and a baby if anyone is free and wants in come join. But also if you see dumb stuff like this just remove it if possible.

HMU if you want to come 512 775 0054 Josh

Wow. Must have happened late late on Sunday or Monday. I did a 10 mile run out there on Sunday around 6PM and slid my butt down those drops. 

When do you plan to get out there? Any idea how to do this without damaging the already soft limestone? Game cam would be a good idea here. I’d be afraid the jackass tries it again or decides to carve out the rock to make footholds. 

Just now, radiantm3 said:

Unrelated to the event, but do you guys ride Dave’s ditch through the flowing water? A few days ago I rode down the first drop through the water and I thought I was going to die. Went perfectly straight and my bike was still going all over the place. Decided to hike back up and attempt it again another day when it’s a bit more dry. 

Nope, if that first drop is wet, I turn my ass right back around.  I tried scrambling down it once when it was wet, and that resulted in an uncontrolled slide on my ass, after which my ass was soaked in the muck accumulating on that drop.

• Like 2

I've not encountered this feature, but might it be a good idea to preempt the inevitable asshattery by putting some way to pull yourself up that rock? Maybe a rope or chain, or some hand/foot holds that will hold up without affecting the route down? Might also be useful to a rider who attempts the drop, biffs it and needs help getting out with an injury.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I've not encountered this feature, but might it be a good idea to preempt the inevitable asshattery by putting some way to pull yourself up that rock? Maybe a rope or chain, or some hand/foot holds that will hold up without affecting the route down? Might also be useful to a rider who attempts the drop, biffs it and needs help getting out with an injury.

No. Just slide down like everyone else has been doing for years. Freakin babies. I love how people feel the need to modify things to make them easier for more people. See my rock climbing example where someone bolted a hold to a route to make it easier. If you don’t have the skill to do something then don’t do it. Gotta love dumbing down things for the common denominator. 

You could try to bolt chains along the side via ferrata style, but I’m not sure I’d trust the limestone there since it’s so damn chalky. 

Edited by GreenMTBrider

I did him a favor. Those rocks pulled off with zero effort. His engineering fu is weak.
There is however leftover glue or whatever

Thanks! Glad it wasn't someone who knew how to anchor stuff. Based off that hack job im not too worried about him doing anything more extreme. But let's keep an eye out going down it for a bit.