IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

26 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

I wonder if its the same hiker I saw walking up the wrong way on Snail Sunday. I have also seen the same guy on D cutting through in various spots and then just disappearing. Older Asian guy .

Yeah, it would be nice to have a "No Entry" sign at the bottom of Snail.  I've had a couple of times where I encountered a hiker on the way down and that's always a near death experience for someone.

15 minutes ago, TheSarge said:

Yeah, it would be nice to have a "No Entry" sign at the bottom of Snail.  I've had a couple of times where I encountered a hiker on the way down and that's always a near death experience for someone.

A few years ago there were a few signs that said no entry, but after a bunch of weather abuse they faded and probably got thrown away. It’s also possible no official sign can go up since it’s a mixture of owners of that land. 

1 hour ago, RegisteredUser said:

I wonder if its the same hiker I saw walking up the wrong way on Snail Sunday. I have also seen the same guy on D cutting through in various spots and then just disappearing. Older Asian guy .

If you see anybody doing unauthorized trail modifications - get a picture first. Then ask them what they are doing and if it was approved by the land owner. Note I said to get a picture first. They usually disappear when the questions start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radiantm3 said:

Unrelated to the event, but do you guys ride Dave’s ditch through the flowing water? A few days ago I rode down the first drop through the water and I thought I was going to die. Went perfectly straight and my bike was still going all over the place. Decided to hike back up and attempt it again another day when it’s a bit more dry. 

I only ride down when it's wet in the event that some asshat is perched in the ditch gluing down rocks, in which case I fishtail into said offender to help maintain my own stability while also disrupting their dirty deed. There, now its related to the event.

In all seriousness though, I rarely ride that section unless we're in an extreme drought because it seems to always be wet and slippery as hell. Somebody posted a few months ago about a rider being seriously injured after slipping on the way down. The alternate route, Dave's Glitch, is equally fun and more challenging anyway. Just go to your right instead of your left when approaching that climb up to the top. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, throet said:

In all seriousness though, I rarely ride that section unless we're in an extreme drought because it seems to always be wet and slippery as hell. Somebody posted a few months ago about a rider being seriously injured after slipping on the way down. The alternate route, Dave's Glitch, is equally fun and more challenging anyway. Just go to your right instead of your left when approaching that climb up to the top. 

Waaay back before Deception, I used to ride the ditch on my way home from work; it was never wet, unless there was a significant rain within a day or 2. It didn't start getting this way until the surrounding homes were built... my guess is that all the new impervious cover started forcing water to run-off and saturate that immediate area, instead of soaking-in where it fell.

• Like 3

When I went in there on foot this AM I was surprised that there was water physically moving. Granted not alot but moving water flowing down DD. And yea.. I wouldn't personally ride down as it is now. Too wet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wow, somebody tried gluing handholds. That's ridiculous and infuriating.

DD has been a frustration. When I finally discovered it this year, I hesitated because of how slick it was. Then I started the waiting game for a dry run. It never came. I finally rode down in the wet when it wasn't so bad back in May I think. Not too bad - but it has everything to do with how much algae is there. It's such a cool feature.

How long has DD been part of the trail system? 5-6 years?

Just got back from checking out Dave’s Ditch. The guy came back and used epoxy this time to affix the holds. I took them off but the epoxy will be very difficult to remove. 

Kat and I are headed to Home Depot now to get a rope to sling on the side for this jackass to use and I’ll be out there tomorrow morning putting up signs. 

19460B12-2231-474B-A831-7909635E8242.jpeg

87673F9F-9EE7-4048-BE43-9B2F695C43C3.jpeg

30C768DF-649C-43E7-9DF5-538078786E70.jpeg

• Like 1

@Greenmtbrider

Thanks. Seems like his prime time is later in the evening perhaps. I wish i could go out tomorrow and sit there. Guaranteed he will show up to check on his fine work. Let me know how your plan goes ill be at work all day and check back on thurs. He really is making a mess of the beauty of that spot. Not to sure how to get that crap up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went out this morning and added a sign plus a rope to provide assistance up. I’m hoping this mitigates any further damage to the area or placement of holds. If a trail steward feels this is a major hazard then feel free to remove or discuss with me and we can come up with an alternative. 

Also, if you read the sign, there really isn’t a game camera put up, but they don’t know that! 

8E4D8739-236F-4261-8EDB-129EFEB1E42D.jpeg

Edited by GreenMTBrider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, First-Blood said:

He really is making a mess of the beauty of that spot. Not to sure how to get that crap up.

He put it down - he should get the glue back up. That might need to be explained to him by someone of proper authority.

The sign and game camera bluff are good. I'm not so sure about the rope. In liability cases I understand (I'm not a lawyer) that if it is a "natural feature" then all liability is on the user. They can chose to crawl up/down that rock but they can't sue anyone over their decision. If there is a "man made feature" (e.g. ladder, rope, handholds etc) then there is someone to sue if something bad happened. The rope and attachment would have to be regularly inspected and documented to be "safe".

• Like 3

I haven't ridden that in a long time, probably since they built the subdivision up on top. When I first started riding there it was almost always dry. I used to climb up it on my bike and that was actually more fun than going down it. The wet started when they started building up top and it's been wet ever since. I think some of it may be runoff from people watering their yards. I have slid on my ass getting soaked a few times while walking the dogs out there. People are unbelievable "let me take this beautiful work of nature and fuck it all up with some stupid handholds so my entitled ass can get up it". Thousand of years for erosion to create that and some idiot fucks it up in a matter of minutes. Stupidity and entitlement make me want to get off this rock ASAP! I was totally blown away by how amazing it was the first time I was ever up there, to be able to stand in something like that really lets you know how insignificant we really are. Pics included.

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I went out this morning and added a sign plus a rope to provide assistance up. I’m hoping this mitigates any further damage to the area or placement of holds. If a trail steward feels this is a major hazard then feel free to remove or discuss with me and we can come up with an alternative. 

Also, if you read the sign, there really isn’t a game camera put up, but they don’t know that! 

8E4D8739-236F-4261-8EDB-129EFEB1E42D.jpeg

Great job, except you forgot to tie a noose at the end for the A-hole to use 🙂

Thanks again for all your work with this!

• Haha 3

[mention=165]GreenMTBrider[/mention] I would remove the rope. I think it gives the impression that it is ok to be climbing up this feature. It's really dangerous for hikers to be doing this, I know I wouldn't be able to stop in time if I came over the lip and found a hiker scrambling up the side. 

Are you NOW saying your Saints wouldnt stop you in a moment notice like you previously touted. People climb that regardless. You arent gonna stop them with a sign that says not to do it. Leave the rope. It at least gets those hooligans out of the ditch or out of center line faster should someone be riding at same time. It is a manmade feature and will beed to be inspected. But ots not different than bridges we make. The liabilities are the same.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk