IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

2 hours ago, cxagent said:

I think we are better off to just say nice things and move along.

As long as the result of passing an off-leash dog is that both the dog and the rider can move along.

The real problem is encountered when one or both can't.

Which is usually where a matter has to end up before things are set right.

Edited by RidingAgain

I have dealt with one off leash dog at brushy. I wasn't worried about the dog biting me but more that my bike scared it and the owner couldn't grab him; then they both just stood in the middle of the trail as the dog cowered down and wouldn't budge. Now walnut, that's different. I refuse to ride there after a lady let her pit try to attack me. 

Only off leash dog I’ve seen at brushy on the mtb trails was a cool looking Australian Shepherd  and it was following a guy on a mountain bike! The only issue I had with it was it made me really want an awesome trail dog!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I run into loose dogs all the time on BCGB. I typically tell people "hey, I saw the cops and they are handing out tickets, it's $500 per dog..." Typically they leash up REAL fast at that point. The only stretch in that is that I never said "today" or "close by."

Yes, I have seen cops hand out tickets on the GB, I'm just fudging on the timing. Off leash dogs are not allowed, so technically I could just tell them that, but that never ends well. Those people are typically entitled bonewipes who don't care about others but are very concerned about themselves. So I appeal to that part of them.

• Like 4

Also, CoA only considers a leash to be 6' long max.  A 20ft leash is essentially off-leash since the owner has no control.   I want to make printouts of this and hand them out:

§ 3-4-4 - PUBLIC AREAS WHERE RESTRAINT OF A DOG IS NOT REQUIRED.

An owner or handler may allow a dog to be without restraint as otherwise required by this title in the following places:

(1) the portion of Auditorium Shores that is designated by City signs clearly stating the area that is off-leash; 
(2) the portion of Zilker Park bounded by Stratford Drive, Barton Springs Road, and Park River Road; 
(3) the right-of-way of Far West Boulevard between Great Northern Boulevard and Shoal Creek Boulevard; 
(4) the portion of Robert Mueller Municipal Airport land bounded by Old Manor Road, Manor Road, the airport fence, and Lovell Drive; 
(5) Red Bud Isle east of Red Bud Trail; 
(6) the portion of Onion Creek District Park south of Chunn Road; 
(7) the portion of Northeast District Park bounded by Lake Long Road, Crystal Brook Drive, and the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad right-of-way; 
(8) the portion of Walnut Creek District Park bounded by Cedar Bend Drive, Walnut Creek, and the park fence on the west and east sides; 
(9) the portion of Lake Austin Metropolitan Park bounded by Park Drive, the park fence on west side, Turkey Creek, and top ridge of bluff line that overlooks Lake Austin; 
(10) Shoal Creek Hike and Bike Trail from 24th Street to 29th Street; and 
(11) in an area designated by the Director of the Parks and Recreation Department.

Source: 1992 Code Section 3-3-3; Ord. 031009-9; Ord. 031211-11; Ord. 20130606-026.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I run into loose dogs all the time on BCGB. I typically tell people "hey, I saw the cops and they are handing out tickets, it's $500 per dog..." Typically they leash up REAL fast at that point. The only stretch in that is that I never said "today" or "close by."

Yes, I have seen cops hand out tickets on the GB, I'm just fudging on the timing. Off leash dogs are not allowed, so technically I could just tell them that, but that never ends well. Those people are typically entitled bonewipes who don't care about others but are very concerned about themselves. So I appeal to that part of them.

That's a great technique,  you even come across as the nice guy and get them to leash up.  Is it really 500 fine per dog?  Thats pretty steep!  

Between the extra long leashes and people with full headphones on even navigating the hike and bike at Brushy can be a real challenge. Oh and lets not forget the middle/high school track and field teams that literally take up the whole pathway and don't move or when they do move it's right in front of you. And by the way "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU KIDS"!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

So far, at least at Brushy, I've only encountered non-leashed dogs. Their people tend to panic when they see a mountain bike coming towards them, but the dog's are usually out of the way on their own. 

I second this. I usually aim for the dog being that they’re quicker at getting out of the way. Unless it’s a little fluffy dog. 

2 hours ago, Chief said:

Between the extra long leashes and people with full headphones on even navigating the hike and bike at Brushy can be a real challenge. Oh and lets not forget the middle/high school track and field teams that literally take up the whole pathway and don't move or when they do move it's right in front of you. And by the way "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU KIDS"!

OR....several people in front of you, you ring your bell, they SPLIT and step off to BOTH sides, giving you only a narrow path between them. Move left or right, I don't care, but PLEASE go the same way. So much easier to go around than squeeze between. Why don't people get that?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DirtSurfer said:

That's a great technique,  you even come across as the nice guy and get them to leash up.  Is it really 500 fine per dog?  Thats pretty steep!  

Yep, $500 per dog. And to the entitled ass who walks her 5+ dogs off leash at WC who claims she is "in control of them" in the non-leash area, I pray that one day she meets up with a cop. I just don't get people sometimes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

OR....several people in front of you, you ring your bell, they SPLIT and step off to BOTH sides, giving you only a narrow path between them. Move left or right, I don't care, but PLEASE go the same way. So much easier to go around than squeeze between. Why don't people get that?

Was just talking about that on yesterday's ride. The literal worst part of that is when the people on the left go right and the people on the right go left. So not only do they give you a narrow corridor to pass, but they basically block the trail while they are jockeying for position.

• Like 1

When they do that I yell "RAMMING SPEEEEEDDDDD!!!" 

Most of the time they all swap sides of the trail - again. But they take an extra step or two farther from the trail. Now I have room to pass.

If anybody makes a comment like "how rude" or "hikers have right of way" I stop and talk to them.  I point out that they do have right of way and I did politely ask them to pass when there was a chance. But instead they did this side swap 'dance' and blocked the trail again. I say - "So it no longer looks like sharing the trail with other users but like a pre-rehearsed comedy routine. I was contributing to their comedy routine. So where is the camera?" Most of the time they start laughing at how ridiculous this sounds. And they recognize how accurate it is.

• Like 1

I'm going to be digging a sign post hole at the entrance to Peddlers Pass after 5:00pm today, so i'll be implementing a fee of 5 swings of the pickaxe prior to admittance.

But in all seriousness, I've got to dig down 2 feet in solid rock so if you can stop by and help for a few minutes that would be awesome.

post.jpg

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, brentb said:

For the past two weeks DD has been bone dry (last seen dry last week).

On this morning's ride I drop down into DD and it's flowing, with bright green algae. Totally unrideable.

Something weird going on up in the neighborhood they are building. 

3 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

I had to be the 1st to post a pic of their bike and bee ign

20190820_195905.jpg

Looking good!! I stopped to see if y’all needed help getting it placed in but  was told y’all were all good.  Nice sign. 

Even set my personal PR on the Pass tonight!!

• Like 2