IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

image.thumb.png.8331b016b15add9b8450ee6ad27c1296.png

Went out to Brushy this evening, car said it was 102 when I started at 6pm and 90 when I finished at 8pm.  Not sure I believe that, but it was rather hot.  Not humid, though, which was nice!  I would have stayed out longer, but my light mount appears to have fallen off my handlebars, maybe it was loose and came off at 80mph on 45. So I had to abort on doing any of Deception and Snail. 

There was almost nobody on the trails, which is understandable given the heat, of course.  Did start to see more people as it got later (and cooler).  At one point when I was in Peddlers it started getting quite windy very rapidly, like an outflow boundary or something..  That was quite weird! 

The post at the entry looks great!  @HoneyBadger Did you actually plant the cactus there?  Look forward to seeing more!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Albert said:

image.thumb.png.8331b016b15add9b8450ee6ad27c1296.png

Went out to Brushy this evening, car said it was 102 when I started at 6pm and 90 when I finished at 8pm.  Not sure I believe that, but it was rather hot.  Not humid, though, which was nice!  I would have stayed out longer, but my light mount appears to have fallen off my handlebars, maybe it was loose and came off at 80mph on 45. So I had to abort on doing any of Deception and Snail. 

There was almost nobody on the trails, which is understandable given the heat, of course.  Did start to see more people as it got later (and cooler).  At one point when I was in Peddlers it started getting quite windy very rapidly, like an outflow boundary or something..  That was quite weird! 

The post at the entry looks great!  @HoneyBadger Did you actually plant the cactus there?  Look forward to seeing more!

I did plant the cactus 

• Like 1

Per a Twitter post, the drop that is next to the creek a couple turns before the end of PP is closed for rework.  I've definitely seen a couple wipeouts at that spot.  I finally got myself to be able to make it through that section, but I'll admit that step down makes me feel uneasy EVERY time I do it.  It just never looks good to my eyes, but I know it is rollable.   

Any idea what the plan is for that spot?

1 minute ago, ahornsfan said:

Per a Twitter post, the drop that is next to the creek a couple turns before the end of PP is closed for rework.  I've definitely seen a couple wipeouts at that spot.  I finally got myself to be able to make it through that section, but I'll admit that step down makes me feel uneasy EVERY time I do it.  It just never looks good to my eyes, but I know it is rollable.   

Any idea what the plan is for that spot?

Unfortunately on Twitter I have a limited character count to work with so had to cut it short....

Here’s the full post from Ronan...

!TRAIL CLOSURE! 

The drop, next to the creek, a few turns before the end of the trail is temporarily closed. You'll have to use the bypass for a few days. 

I've been receiving an increasing number of reports of people going off the edge of the trail after the drop and either falling or nearly falling into the creek, with one rider "Deb"  taken out on a stretcher. 

To improve safety, the trail is going to be realigned after the drop to improve the runout distance before the trail turns left back up the hill. This should stop people going off the trail.

I'll also be adding a signpost clearly marking the feature and the bypass around it. 

....and from this day forward this feature will be known as "Deb's Drop" (she said it's ok).

• Like 5

I am ok with drops but did it too fast once and almost ended in the creek 😂. My wife also went otb there once but she tried to follow my line after being warned so it was all on her.  I do think it is a little dangerous compared to the rest of the loop. I am glad it can be kept amd made safer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morris said:

I am ok with drops but did it too fast once and almost ended in the creek 😂. My wife also went otb there once but she tried to follow my line after being warned so it was all on her.  I do think it is a little dangerous compared to the rest of the loop. I am glad it can be kept amd made safer

Sad thing is I never even thought of this spot as being dangerous, until about a month ago when I started riding at night with 4 people completely new to mountain biking and one commented he almost went over the edge when he missed the turn for the bypass.

22 minutes ago, Haught Diggity said:

You guys are normally really concerned with not making the trails easier, and leaving the risky spots as they are.  Why the change of heart in this case with that small drop?  I appreciate Peddlers Pass by the way! (18:00 PR)

I am not the trail steward, but they try to market Peddlers Pass as a beginner level trail.   There has been several accidents at this spot, with one being severe over the last couple of months.  They aren't doing away with the drop, just improving the run out to make it a bit safer.

• Like 1

Yeah, that drop isn't bad but I've started seeing the lines of people sliding off the trail if you hit too far to the right after you come off it.  Makes sense to rework considering the rest of the trail, as that slide off line will only get worse.

Edited by fontarin

This sounds great. The current trail alignment was fine when it was an up instead of a down, but as a down it's kind of bad. It just begs to be dropped, but the sketch runout makes it not worth the risk, so I have just been rolling it which feels a bit lame.

There is nice all size drops at brushy. I think that is a beginner loop and should stay friendly for beginners. Just not to be selfish because I personally like the drop
The drop is staying and there is a beginner friendly bypass

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Haught Diggity said:

You guys are normally really concerned with not making the trails easier, and leaving the risky spots as they are.  Why the change of heart in this case with that small drop?  I appreciate Peddlers Pass by the way! (18:00 PR)

There is a balance here. On trails that are more "public" and that includes Brushy, you have to balance between not dumbing it down and making it safer, especially on sections that are not marked as dangerous. PP is really safe and would be an easy/green with the exception of that spot. Several have been hurt. So you do something about it. Deception, on the other hand, is not intended to be easy, so if a bunch of people get hurt somewhere there is not the same level of involvement to "fix" things for the novice rider.

It's all a balance. The city is involved with the trail and condoning the building, so I would rather see some work done to make an easy trail more accessible; if you fight them they might just shut the whole thing down. It's all a balance.

• Like 2

The drop is staying the same, it's what is happening after that's changing. The landing area was very small and you had turn the instant you touched the ground. As someone else said, you originally had to go up it and the line was fine. The feature is probably the most intimidating to beginners riding PP and had very little margin of error before you started sliding off the trail.  I've moved the trail as close to the creek as possible to make it line up better with the drop. The landing area is going to be twice as big and longer.

Since I'm making changes, I'm adding something for the more advanced riders... before you make the left turn up the hill I'm adding a big catch berm so you'll be able to rail that corner and carry a lot more speed up the hill.

Debs drop new line.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TRAIL BUILDING TONIGHT!!! Come help finish "Deb's Drop" I'll be there at 5:30pm. See the picture for tonight's plan. We have tools, so just bring gloves and water. If your out riding Brushy this evening, stop by and swing a pickaxe for 10 minutes, the help will be much appreciated. Or if you're out there today, go swing a pickaxe for a few minutes and move some dirt. 826574272_Debsdroptonightswork.thumb.png.a253ad3d08bf89bbb2ecb4dc38a55514.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Did you remove the tree next to the drop? 

No, there was branch removed from that tree. It was part of the problem, lots of people were clipping their handlebars on it and wrecking, there was no bark left on the tree it was happening so much.

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Like 1