IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

My wife and I were working on the jump line yesterday. We buffed-out and de-rocked the berms, built-up the step down and shaped the lips on the 1st and 2d jumps at the bottom. Did several runs and, while they can be cleared, speed is an issue. We're going to make the transition on the step-down steeper and as the trails gets ridden in, it should get faster. However, we're not working with the best dirt. As such, we're considering installing wood lips, similar to what we've done at Rocky Hill.

Question: This line was intended to be lower intermediate level. I don't want to out anyone, but for you riders out there who are not currently skilled at jumping: Would wood lips intimidate you from riding the line, even if they are rollable (i.e., a dirt table right up to the end of the lip)?

Based on my experience I know that an important aspect of any feature that begins to add a bit of added stress in a ride is the entrance and exit associated with the feature.

If the entrance to the feature seems difficult, then looking forward to taking on a harder feature becomes a bit of a negative. And likewise regarding the exit... If it seems to have some difficulty related to it, the feature that comes before becomes a bit of a negative.

For beginner level riders there is a need to instill/encourage confidence in their ability to accomplish what they're going to try and do. Not everyone is like that, as some folks are just born with bigger 'uns than others. But on average, folks need to feel good about what they are attempting, before attempting it for the first time. So although it sounds like you did exactly what needed to be done on the feature itself... You didn't speak much on the entrance and exit to it, which is why I'm bringing it up.

Skill development is all about building confidence to then train on proper technique/application. And it's one of the things I like about Brushy Creek... It pretty much has trails that allow development progress to take place. The first time I took my wife riding there we did the easier part to begin with (the trails that are out by the lake). When we came back to the parking lot by the skateboard area she asked "What else"... And so I took her up what I think is Deception (not sure of the names), and she was stoked to do it, because her confidence level was high from riding the other section well. She had to walk a few parts of Deception, but she was good with that given her being able to ride maybe 70% of it (what I took her on).

Edited by RidingAgain

1 hour ago, Skyyhorn said:

New ride is getting worked in, the wide bars are proving to be tough to get use to.  I might ping you to show my SN since I'd probably get myself lost.  

How wide are the bars on that new rig? It's gotta be completely different from your other bike. BTW nice bike!

33 minutes ago, Chief said:

How wide are the bars on that new rig? It's gotta be completely different from your other bike. BTW nice bike!

Currently they are 800. It just seems like the corrections I make on a line choice become amplified because of the wider bars. I’m sure it’ll just take time since you’re correct, it’s way different than any of my other bikes. 

Currently they are 800. It just seems like the corrections I make on a line choice become amplified because of the wider bars. I’m sure it’ll just take time since you’re correct, it’s way different than any of my other bikes. 
That's pretty wide .. you can of course cut them down. What was the length on your other bike?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Seen some giant bars on small kitted dudes. It reminds me of a kid brother wearing giant hand me down shoes he's yet to grow into.  I'm still into shoulder width bars so I'm lame I guess. Good thing I'm riding bikes and not trying to pry a boulder from the dirt with my front wheel.

Edited by Bamwa

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I finally got used to the 760's on my new bike, moving up from 700-720mm range. Some of the demo bikes I rode were 780mm and that seemed too wide. 760mm seems to be wide enough but I think 740mm would have fewer tree gate problems without giving up much.

So far I haven't hit any tree gates, but I also haven't ridden the trails that have a lot of them.  For now i'm giving the 800mm a try since the whole geometry is new to me, but I'm certainly not use to small corrections becoming large corrections.  It's hard to describe when typing, but it's like Bamwa said above, the leverage seems overkill.  

Also, I would believe that larger bars would put you more over your bars vs. further back. This would theoretically mean that you would be more likely to go over the bars.

When I bought my first "real" bike it had a 100mm fork and a 120mm stem. When I cut that stem length back I felt that I was no longer over the bars and I had less likelihood of going over those bars.

27 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

To me, larger bars means large corrections become small corrections.  Your arms travel longer for a smaller movement of the wheel.  Still, it is different for sure.

This is why I’m giving it a chance. If I can fine tune the small correction then in theory it would be more stable. The hard part is telling my brain that I don’t need my normal correction amount. 

I’ve been running 800 bars for like 3-4 months now. Not because I’m a wanna be downhill racer, but I figured I’d see how they feel and can always cut them down if it doesn’t feel right. So far they have been good and the bike feels more stable. But I might cut down to 780 at some point. That will probably be the sweet spot for me. I can rode through mulligan with 800’s fairly quickly, except for 1-2 spots where I need to actively maneuver the bars around a few trees. 

3 hours ago, Skyyhorn said:

This is why I’m giving it a chance. If I can fine tune the small correction then in theory it would be more stable. The hard part is telling my brain that I don’t need my normal correction amount. 

You may have it backwards in your mind. Overthinking this may be contributing to the perceived issue. With a longer bar, the movement at the tip is further, as AntonioGG said.

It requires a greater movement at the tip of the bar for the same degrees of change in steering to be made. Rather than the smaller movement as you have stated a couple of times.

Don't think about it at all, just ride and move the bars whatever it takes to get the job done same as you always have. The change will get calibrated in the CPU (unconscious mind) over a short amount of time without any thought being required. :classic_biggrin:

Use the force. 🥓

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever seen or heard reports of sightings of Copperheads around Daves Ditch?

I was stopped at the start of the ditch area and spotted a smallish snake on the hillside. It had what appeared to be the Hershey Kiss pattern on it's side, but I couldn't see the head. It might have been a hognose.

I left the area pronto regardless.

Smithy inspired me to hit the ditch this AM since the last I rode down from Rim to DD it was wet and slimy. Ok so where the hell is all that water coming from? That's alot of flow seeing as how we havent had rain. No way I'd ride that down with all that algae and water

12 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Smithy inspired me to hit the ditch this AM since the last I rode down from Rim to DD it was wet and slimy. Ok so where the hell is all that water coming from? That's alot of flow seeing as how we havent had rain. No way I'd ride that down with all that algae and water

Yeah, I made the mistake of trying to scramble down that first drop when it was wet and I ended up sliding down on my ass, getting my bike shorts soaked with algae and water.  Won't ever try that again!  We did get some rain a few nights ago, so that could explain why it's wet and slimy.

..Al

I was out there Saturday and noticed the ditch was a flowing creek. I rode down it just fine, but it was exciting. But I don't think that little bit of rain added to the water streaming down the ditch. It is intermittently wet and dry independent of the weather. It has to be coming from some kind of run-off uphill. 

19 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

It could be run off from people running their sprinklers.  Wednesday and Thursday are the designated days that City of Austin allows for watering and that park of Avery is City of Austin.  

I too was surprised at the amount of water. It was only last week, where most of that was bone dry. Last night it was slimy at the beginning.
Bring your kayak . That was some good flow. That drop would be baller fun in your boat