IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

On 10/3/2019 at 11:08 AM, TheX said:

How much harder is Double Down than 1/4 Notch? 

Oh yeah, rode Peddlers for the first time today, nicely done!

Double Down is a significant step up (hah!) from 1/4 Notch.  The 1st part of DD (the one that connects to 1/4 notch) used to be the section I would ride when I thought I was getting good and it would bring me back down to earth.  Now the 2nd part of Double Down (the part picnic deadends into) is the one that kicks my ass.

Edited by Kobra Kai MTB Guy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I'm thinking something more 'modern' for people born after 1980.  I love my Gilligan and Caddy Shack but I recognize that I'm on the older end of the spectrum of Brushy Creek mountain bikers.  

This reminds me of a sculpture garden I went to a long time ago.  All the statues were naked which is a win (for the most part) but the reason they were naked was not because the human body is beautiful.  They were naked because clothes date when the sculpture was made.  Since none of them had clothes, they looked like they could have been made yesterday or 100 years ago.  Deep thoughts.

I was born in the '50s. I guess I'm in the minority of brushy riders.

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

Gringo - we need a name for all this new trail you and your crew (Mrs.) are putting in out there. I don’t think of it as SN and it’s not really part of the clover leaf looking loops by Peddlers. Maybe some sort of nautical theme thanks to the sweet boat? You don’t have to name every feature (despite the precedent) but we need a name to call the general area so we can talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trail that begins at the jeep road by the fire station and ends with the jump line is named Genesis. We have yet to name the drop zone we're working on (Leap of Faith is a contender, but may be reserved for larger drops planned in the future) and the trail that leads into it. We do have a mini slope-style line named Jonah and the Whale that will have a whale-tail feature similar to the one on Sling-shot at Rocky Hill. The entire network is simply, Christ-Church Trails. The trails by the boat are not (I don't think) technically on church land (nor were they our work). I am, however, trying to figure out if that boat was abandoned - we'd love to turn it into an on-off feature, potentially on Jonah and the Whale.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking something more 'modern' for people born after 1980.  I love my Gilligan and Caddy Shack but I recognize that I'm on the older end of the spectrum of Brushy Creek mountain bikers.  
This reminds me of a sculpture garden I went to a long time ago.  All the statues were naked which is a win (for the most part) but the reason they were naked was not because the human body is beautiful.  They were naked because clothes date when the sculpture was made.  Since none of them had clothes, they looked like they could have been made yesterday or 100 years ago.  Deep thoughts.
Haha.. yea good point but still a good name

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The trail that begins at the jeep road by the fire station and ends with the jump line is named Genesis. We have yet to name the drop zone we're working on (Leap of Faith is a contender, but may be reserved for larger drops planned in the future) and the trail that leads into it. We do have a mini slope-style line named Jonah and the Whale that will have a whale-tail feature similar to the one on Sling-shot at Rocky Hill. The entire network is simply, Christ-Church Trails. The trails by the boat are not (I don't think) technically on church land (nor were they our work). I am, however, trying to figure out if that boat was abandoned - we'd love to turn it into an on-off feature, potentially on Jonah and the Whale.
So Gringo.. if you guys only did the CC features.. who did all the ones leading to your section? Is the work of AJ and company? My money is that boat was ditched there

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

I recognize that I'm on the older end of the spectrum of Brushy Creek mountain bikers.  

On second thought...I might be right in the middle of the age range out there.  I think that 45 is the new 35.  It's all about clean living!

However, I'm still a Mary Anne fan over Ginger every day of the week.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

My money is that boat was ditched there

That boat doesn't look like it's in bad enough shape to have been ditched but I'm not a boat guy so what do I know.  It has a prop on it without a bunch of nicks so it probably has been on Lake Travis in many years.  

Gringo - The only thing I'll caution you on making that thing a feature is to make sure you don't get into the fiberglass if you're monkeying around with it.  That stuff is wrong.

7 hours ago, TheX said:

How much harder is Double Down than 1/4 Notch?

Lots harder and lots more fun - IMO. I ride it much more than 1/4 Notch - partly because it's closer when riding from home, partly because it is more shaded, but mostly because it's more fun and challenging. Much better workout as well due to the more difficult climbs and features as mentioned by AntonioGG. 

1 hour ago, TheX said:

I have another question (no surprise), why the name change from Deception? The older maps I find have 1/4 Notch and DD combined and called Deception, or is that an error?

The county folks were butt hurt by the name "Deception" So they made the BCB boys come up with alternate names. Also, they wanted the trail to be split in half, with different levels of difficulty. 1/4 notch was considered intermediate (blue square) and Double Down was considered expert (single black diamond). I can't remember how they came up with Double Down, but 1/4 notch was because of a comment someone made over on Mojo, that the trail was only a 1/4 notch more difficult than Walnut Creek.

I had the place to myself today, saw one other person on Peddlers. 
Hell's yea man. I wasn't working all summer and enjoyed the place alone in the AM every day. I am starting a new gig Monday and will miss my retirement. Alot of days saw no one.
Now back to the evenings and secret times I know none of you fools go ride

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

The county folks were butt hurt by the name "Deception" So they made the BCB boys come up with alternate names. Also, they wanted the trail to be split in half, with different levels of difficulty. 1/4 notch was considered intermediate (blue square) and Double Down was considered expert (single black diamond). I can't remember how they came up with Double Down, but 1/4 notch was because of a comment someone made over on Mojo, that the trail was only a 1/4 notch more difficult than Walnut Creek.

DBuratti made the comment out of jest and it stuck!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheX said:

Today was only my second time on 1/4 Notch, fist time by myself. It just wasn't *fun*. Maybe after I get used to it.

I learned MTB at Deception and got my ass kicked numerous times. The only reward for riding 1/4 notch and DD is learning to clear all the features. At one point I was able to clear everything up to the bailout at Picnic X except for Jammer. The trail is always changing and sometimes the feature that was always easy becomes difficult because of wear and tear and weather.

I think it's called Double Down because the tech sections are kind of split into two sections. DD gets progressively harder as you get deeper into the tech and you're gassed from everything you've already ridden.

I need to go spend a day at 1/4 Notch, and just learn to ride rocks. I spent years riding elsewhere, and we didn't have features like that. Our climbs were more like grunt work, and thousands of feet high...not 5 feet at a time over and over and over again. It's like learning to ride all over again.