IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

I road peddlers and picnic both ways on my new dirt jumper today. Coming from a full suspension bike, it was definitely interesting, but tons of fun. Was riding with my 9 year old so figured it would even out the gap a bit, but this bike is surprisingly capable. I was even able to maintain speed and pedal up all the climbs on picnic with little issue. Definitely will be my bike of choice when I ride with my kids. 

Also took it to the bmx park in cedar park and had a ton of fun practicing jumps and the wall ride. Dirt jumpers are such an awesome complement to a full suspension bike. And it really makes me appreciate how easy it is to ride with full suspension. 

D17C5302-EA83-4585-B51B-97BE25358392.jpeg

So the new area off SN .. that has no legit name so I'm gonna call it Gilligans Playground cuz the random abandoned drug boat there... has had sightings of a creature. It is said to be half coyote and half Red Wolf. There are 2 that run that area. Legit witnesses have seen this beast. Judging by the extraordinary large fur burgers on the trails and jeep roads .. something is there.

I saw a road runner Friday afternoon on 1/4 notch so that was a cool thing to see
So a road runner and coyote makes sense in that area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Judging by the extraordinary large fur burgers on the trails and jeep roads .. something is there

I have always known fur burgers to be something else....another way to call a cat or kitten.

edit: rode this morning, actually kinda cool temps. Had a great 2 hour deal. Showed some dudes from Houston around a bit. Was cool to hear their reactions to things on the trail....entrance from BCRT to picnic x, drops on picnic x, your sister’s thong...

Edited by Morealice
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

So the new area off SN .. that has no legit name so I'm gonna call it Gilligans Playground cuz the random abandoned drug boat there... has had sightings of a creature. It is said to be half coyote and half Red Wolf. There are 2 that run that area. Legit witnesses have seen this beast. Judging by the extraordinary large fur burgers on the trails and jeep roads .. something is there.

I saw a road runner Friday afternoon on 1/4 notch so that was a cool thing to see
So a road runner and coyote makes sense in that area.

Once saw a roadrunner on the BCGB and then quickly afterward came across a dead coyote. Very fitting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

Regarding Gilligan's Playground, not sure if it helps, but here's our ride from a few weeks ago. Seemed like we found most of what's out there, but i don't remember seeing a boat.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2736283130

I really liked the jump line, found it much more approachable than the one behind peddlers.

Glad to hear! We have more elevation to work with at the church and were able to space the jumps further apart to give the rider more time to set up for each jump.  We usually try to space them at 20'-22' apart to give you time to throw in a peddle or two and set up, though admittedly, you do have to work to clear the jumps.  They will get faster as they get ridden in, but as mentioned earlier, we may put in wood lips to make them faster.

The jumps we put in at Peddler are closer together and thus, a bit more technical because we had less elevation/speed to work with. But once you get used to that, you'll be fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Gringo said:

We usually try to space them at 20'-22' apart to give you time to throw in a peddle or two and set up, though admittedly, you do have to work to clear the jumps.  They will get faster as they get ridden in, but as mentioned earlier, we may put in wood lips to make them faster.

The jumps we put in at Peddler are closer together and thus, a bit more technical because we had less elevation/speed to work with.

I'm really enjoying both the Peddler's jumps and the new jump line (I've been calling it Jumpin' Jesus...but then I'm a heathen). About 6 to 8 weeks ago I couldn't jump at all. Jumping just never made sense to me, and anything that wasn't a straight drop-off, sent me ass-over end. And that was the case for 19 years. But while playing around at WC's BMX inner jump line, something just clicked, and suddenly I could clean every jump on the inner-most line except for the very last one. And then I went over to Peddlers a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised to find that those jumps looked much smaller than I remembered them in my head, and I could clean everything on the right side (not sure what's going on on the left side, it seems more like a pump track). And then when I found this new jump line last week, sign-unseen on my first run I was almost able to clean the whole line of jumps--I just barely clipped the last one. But then I went back and tried it again, and cleaned  the whole line. 

I'm not too sure how I'd feel about wood lips since I just got comfortable with dirt. Maybe I need to get out to RHR to give them a try. 

But anyway, thanks for all the work out there! I really didn't expect to learn much new at this point, but these two lines really helped progress my jumping. 

10 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

Seemed like we found most of what's out there, but i don't remember seeing a boat.

Yeah, you missed it. It's the single-track in the circle: 

43768860_ONABOAT.JPG.991b28069e122b04aa39642115edfca5.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, CBaron said:

And to be pedantic, I think he actually said 1/2 notch....

-CJB

I think I kicked off the heated discussion about how hard deception was compared to walnut when I mentioned that it was so popular because it was just a little harder than walnut

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/91060-brushy-creek-regional-singletrack-66.html#post1122658

Then notyal said it was a couple of notches harder than walnut

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/91060-brushy-creek-regional-singletrack-68.html#post1122868

Dburatti said 1/2 notch a little later

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/14-austin-voodoo/91060-brushy-creek-regional-singletrack-130.html#post1137607

Edited by crazyt
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, Browndog said:

Had two deer run in front of me on double down this morning. It would suck to get broadsided by one of those delicious bastards. ef4a4870f3027c76a63e7032c2ca4f1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there, done that. Full throttle on a road bike. Helmet saved my life, but not my ribcage. Still not sure if SpiceWookie's venison gift a month prior caused it. :P

• Like 1

Anyone know the reason why bikes aren't allowed at the skate park? Most skate parks don't seem to ban bikes. Curious if it was always this way at Brushy Creek or was there an incident that caused this rule? I've rode around it on an early weekday morning when no one was around and it was a ton of fun. Now that I have a dirt jumper I'm more interested in riding skate parks as well. 

43 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

Anyone know the reason why bikes aren't allowed at the skate park? Most skate parks don't seem to ban bikes. Curious if it was always this way at Brushy Creek or was there an incident that caused this rule? I've rode around it on an early weekday morning when no one was around and it was a ton of fun. Now that I have a dirt jumper I'm more interested in riding skate parks as well. 

not sure about brushy specifically, but bmx pegs can cause a lot of damage on unarmored coping. Also, the liability is greater for bikes.