IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

On 11/13/2019 at 1:38 PM, AustinBike said:

Huh, I got 16.5 miles on the bike this morning, left when it was 37F, think it "warmed up" to about 39F by the time I got home. Oh yeah, and I hit sleet on the way home.

Always ride.

I need to re-read your "layers" post, and take notes. I have a few things, but nothing really comprehensive. Really don't want to give up on riding because it's TOO cold (cough:<50F:cough)

6 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

I need to re-read your "layers" post, and take notes. I have a few things, but nothing really comprehensive. Really don't want to give up on riding because it's TOO cold (cough:<50F:cough)

Rode during the last cold snap here, was on the bike in the low 30's. To me it is all about the top half of the body (other than feet). I can wear shorts most of the time in Austin.

Wool socks, heavy gloves and a liner under my helmet cover the extremities. I wear a sleeveless base, a long sleeved base and a jersey.

Between 45 and 55 I also wear a sleeveless windbreaker vest with a vented back. Between 30 and 45 I wear a windbreaker (sleeved). 

If the weather is really cold (i.e. lower 30's) I will switch to ski gloves and a balaclava on my head.

It is never too cold to ride in Austin. I used to ride to work in Chicago when it was below zero, we have it good here and we should not use weather as an excuse not to ride. Best of all, you have the trails to yourself!

• Like 1

I just tested my cold weather gear again at the Dragon Slayer and I'm completely impressed:

• Carnac Polyamide short sleeve base layer shirt over bibs, under jersey.
  • Swiftwick arm warmers (though I need to find some that are larger size.  I don't have popeye forearms but these sure fit very tight)
  • OnOne merino wool beanie
  • This time I went without my OnOne neck gaither...I thought I'd forgotten it but I actually had it.  I really missed it at the start but not much after that.
  • Louis Garneau knee warmers (they basically cover from under the shorts almost all the way to the socks)
  • Louis Garneau gloves (thicker, but breathable).
  • Specialized MTB short-sleeve shirt over base layer shirt.
  • Planet-X wool socks (these are very warm.  I cannot use these on warm days like I can the Switfwicks.
  • That's it.  No jacket, no windbreaker, no balaclava, no lobster claws.

Temps at stating were right around freezing.  I know my windshield had ice, and the grass on the trail was frosted.  I was cold on the ride down to the start from my car to registration, then on the ride back up to the first trailhead, but after that I warmed up and did not have any issues being cold.  For sure I knew if I had a mechanical and wasn't able to burn the calories riding, I may be in trouble but everything worked out fine.  I did sweat enough to soak the base layer stuff but that stayed warm nonetheless just like you expect any wool stuff to do.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Trails last evening and this AM are great. I am thankful I saw only person today on the trail.
Hopefully no rain tomorrow as forecasted

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

REALLY should've ridden yesterday. Oh well. Don't go back to work until 8th, so hopefully trails will dry out in a couple days.

Peddlers Pass Winter Build Day

Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 9 AM – 11 AM 

3300 Brushy Creek Rd, Cedar Park, TX 78613, 

The February race on Peddlers Pass is not too far away, so its time to add some new features and do some maintenance. We'll be meeting at the Splash Pad then splitting in to groups to tackle some different projects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Peddlers Pass Winter Build Day

Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 9 AM – 11 AM 

3300 Brushy Creek Rd, Cedar Park, TX 78613, 

The February race on Peddlers Pass is not too far away, so its time to add some new features and do some maintenance. We'll be meeting at the Splash Pad then splitting in to groups to tackle some different projects.

I'm not sure where the splashpad is, but I'm in.

• Like 1