IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

On 1/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, AntonioGG said:

People were still riding Peddlers when I went through around 3:15pm today.  I saw lots of muddy tracks on the concrete.  I let a few of them know it was too muddy.

I was there around 3:45pm, as I rode to the entrance to Peddler's saw a bunch of people riding, got to the entrance and saw the chain up and very wet looking trails.  I will give people the benefit of the doubt and they think "it's muddy but I'll just wash my bike and be safe so it's okay", they are not thinking "it's muddy and our soil just can't handle it and I'm going to ruin the trails".  At least I hope it's just ignorance and not just being selfish...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Selfish humans don't change their ways without consequences, and we don't really have any consequences to dish out.  What if we took a picture of everyone riding the trails that shouldn't be?  Explain to them how they are damaging the trails, and we are taking their picture as proof they were told not to do it, and expect to never see them on a wet trail again.   We could have a seperate thread called "caught riding dirty" and put their pictures in there.  If nothing else, they would know that they were busted with proof and maybe not do it anymore? 

• Like 1

If I paid $60ish to have "Please do not ride WET TRAILS" for about 50 signs, would it be ok to put them out over the BCRT trail system and Suburban Ninja?

I  honestly think some people just have no idea it ruins the trail.   They think it is fun to slosh around in the mud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSlow said:

I will give people the benefit of the doubt and they think "it's muddy but I'll just wash my bike and be safe so it's okay", they are not thinking "it's muddy and our soil just can't handle it and I'm going to ruin the trails".  At least I hope it's just ignorance and not just being selfish...

30 minutes ago, natas1321 said:

Unfortunately I believe people are selfish.

I tend to go with Hanlon's Razor with this type of thing. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Or, in this case, ignorance. The problem is that even when individuals are relieved of their ignorance, they often hold onto it because humans are terrible at letting go of their previously held beliefs. Folks don't want to think they may have been wrong. They'll think, sure, it may leave a bit of a rut, but it doesn't really matter. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 3

To be honest I rode walnut muddy many times 5 years ago and I had no idea I was messing up the trail. I just met two other bikers that didn’t know either at brushy. “Isn’t mud part of mountain biking?” they understood when I explained.  I think many just don’t know about the potential damage

Edited by Morris
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Morris said:

To be honest I rode walnut muddy many times 5 years ago and I had no idea I was messing up the trail. I just met two other bikers that didn’t know either at brushy. “Isn’t mud part of mountain biking?” they understood when I explained.  I think many just don’t know about the potential damage

This is my contention on most of the 'mudders"   I choose to believe most just honestly don't know better and this it is "part of mountain biking."

I choose education!

• Like 1

I choose education!

I think that we have no choice here because enforcement is not practical. There will always be someone that knows better but does it anyway. Those people are the douche bags that we should consider outliers. If we can educate in a non-condescending way, most people will listen. I don’t think we want to create an “us vs. them” situation where people get shamed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtSurfer said:

Selfish humans don't change their ways without consequences, and we don't really have any consequences to dish out.  What if we took a picture of everyone riding the trails that shouldn't be?  Explain to them how they are damaging the trails, and we are taking their picture as proof they were told not to do it, and expect to never see them on a wet trail again.   We could have a seperate thread called "caught riding dirty" and put their pictures in there.  If nothing else, they would know that they were busted with proof and maybe not do it anymore? 

Honey Badger used Strava once to track down and call out somebody who rode Peddlers under muddy conditions. Maybe there needs to be more of that.  

Public shaming goes a long way, I think it is a good idea.

There are 2 FB groups, one on trail conditions and one on over MTB in Austin. The minute it rains people are all over "how fast will this dry", literally the same day. I blame energy drinks and prescription commercials that show people riding in the mud and smiling. We need to counter balance that.

Devils advocate here...
Regardless of what reason a person feels it is OK to ride muddy trail , one chain on one trail that has more than one legit entrance is not gonna stop people. If the chain is up where it was installed but you can instead ride up the paved path and hang a left at the trail there, then folks will do that.

Not to mention all the other tons of ways to enter any of the trails at BC

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk