IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

29 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

That reminds me of something I saw for the first time in an unmentionable trail somewhere in ATX.

So when I see vague posts about unmentionable trails, does this mean people are referring to trails on private property?   Can someone maybe DM me some details?  Just curious to learn,

7 hours ago, horncpa said:

So when I see vague posts about unmentionable trails, does this mean people are referring to trails on private property?   Can someone maybe DM me some details?  Just curious to learn,

No.

Ride with people who know to learn. Otherwise - guess.

• Like 2

I forgot what that rock feature toward the beginning of 1/4 notch is called.  The one that people kept disturbing.  Well, someone is back at it again.  I went through there E-W around 5pm and they'd moved the big rock on the west side to the right, leaving a big hole on the left.  I moved everything back as far as I could remember and it was still good when I went back through it W-E.

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I forgot what that rock feature toward the beginning of 1/4 notch is called.  The one that people kept disturbing.  Well, someone is back at it again.  I went through there E-W around 5pm and they'd moved the big rock on the west side to the right, leaving a big hole on the left.  I moved everything back as far as I could remember and it was still good when I went back through it W-E.

People are cutting B lines all over 1/4 Notch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Chief said:

After taking a year off, I was really disappointed return to see all the B-lines, C-lines, D-lines, cut-throughs, etc. It's a cluster. I gave up trying to correct it, it's a losing battle.

Hikers are getting worse too... I was out there Friday at 1pm (mid-week/mid-day used to be my safe time) and had 3 run-ins with clueless hikers.  One was a woman standing at the bottom of the Swag drop with her Weimer; she was standing kind of hidden on the right side of the left turn... I already had momentum and dropped in my normal line, only to discover that her dog was off leash when it jumped out in front of me, almost killing us both, then tried to run in front of my tire... I finally slid to a stop while she tried to call her panicked dog, which stood down-trail and wouldn't come to her. Next, I got to the drop at Satellite, checking my line of sight through the original right-line as I passed, then dropped in only to see the blur of a person jump out of my way... must've been standing on the other side of the big oak as I approached. Further into DD, I came up on a guy with 2 dogs on leashes; they stood off to the left side and seemed like they would be fine so I continued... it was a climb, so I wasn't moving fast... suddenly both dogs split different directions and when their leashes stopped them they freaked out, then each doubled in the opposite directions, tangling each other and the owner and jerking him all over the place... in the trail in front of me.

Who wants to start a new secret rogue trail?

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chief said:

Hate to say I said it would happen... But I did.

It's just how it is when there's the type of population growth that Austin's had. And the only way to try and curtail it — somewhat curtail it — is to get out in front of it with officially created alternate lines. That's something I pointed out way back on Mojo. I saw it happen in South Florida in the late '90s, early '00s... And that was mainly just with South Floridians who got into mountain biking, and maybe a little bit of outdoor urban hikers.

And no, I haven't cut a single alternate line on any trail, nor have I encouraged anyone to do so. It's just what I knew from experience would happen.

Edited by RidingAgain

26 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

I was really disappointed return to see all the B-lines, C-lines, D-lines, cut-throughs, etc. It's a cluster. I gave up trying to correct it, it's a losing battle.

It is a losing battle, but I've been fighting at at Walnut, Brushy, other local joints for going on 3 years now, and for 15+ years in NY before that. I haven't given up, and I know at a minimum the asshat who un-blocks the B or C line over and over is at least as frustrated as I am while I'm blocking the B or C line. To paraphrase Good Will, "because fuck 'em, that's why."

Most of the ones at Walnut are just stupid. Just a cut through connecting one trail to another, when it already connected in 10 feet! Why the hell do you have to cut through instead of gong 10 more feet up the trail? And then there's the new line around any particular tree to the left instead of the right, or opposite. What. Is. The. Point? 

But then sometimes new lines do evolve. The middle of Outer Log Loop had a new line evolve to the left of a particular tree instead of the right, when a berm just upstream caused folks to go into the section much faster. That's fine, but now it's time to close the original line. 

I have accepted that I will forever be throwing sticks and stumps and leaves and such into new lines as they occur. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

There is a very effective solution I've used on Peddlers Pass 82283531_474553279924156_746835366132056064_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_oc=AQnkIpSYP6ggrHRqCpEEB_8aHnkrcojTGPW5t8WONqPr6GdokOkU1WTlvZqePJP3QFI&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=463ddb5c539b628176ff2c74de312f02&oe=5E842C66

I did that in a couple of spots on Double Down a couple of years ago, screwed with 3" and 4" deck screws, came back a few days later and someone had spent a lot of time wrecking it... that's when Josh finally just put up signs at the spots and hoped for the best, because no matter how we tried to block it, it didn't last.

37 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I just heard from someone that Dave's Loop was being closed today by WILCO. Anyone aware of this? Is this fake news?!?!?!

Absolutely 100% FAKE NEWS. Funny, the "today" part too. 

I met with the county this week (y'day). No existing official trail segment is going to be closed. 

This is not supposed to be public news yet, but obviously rumors have started. 

5.0 or Up and Over, the short segment that connects Double Down to The Rim via the high ridge is planned to be closed (again). the trail segment has been officially closed since the trail become legit. This segment was closed right away and we maintained the closure for the first year and then just let it be. The county didn't care until the Commissioner received a complaint. 

PLEASE be patient and wait for an OFFICIAL Announcement before you contact the county commissioner...I mean, assuming you want to. 

ARR will be working with the county to enforce this closure and we understand it's out of the Parks and Rec hands, but a decision made by the Commissioner's Court. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2