IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

2 minutes ago, horncpa said:

blowing the leaves off the trail.

Awesome. Those leaves are super slick unless you stay real high on the berms. Of course in central NY leaves were a huge pain every fall. But we had this one local guy who mounted two leaf blowers to an old hardtail, one on the front, one on the back, and it did a spectacular job of clearing the leaves off the trails. He called it a trail zamboni.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

Awesome. Those leaves are super slick unless you stay real high on the berms. Of course in central NY leaves were a huge pain every fall. But we had this one local guy who mounted two leaf blowers to an old hardtail, one on the front, one on the back, and it did a spectacular job of clearing the leaves off the trails. He called it a trail zamboni.  

That must have been quite a sight to see at speed. 

Hey, I am wanting to take my leaf blower out to Peddler's Pass in the next day or so.   I'm sure the answer is yes, but would the trail steward have any problem with blowing the leaves off the trail.  It's getting pretty slick.   [mention=165]GreenMTBrider[/mention] [mention=141]HoneyBadger[/mention]
Great minds think alike. I was planning on doing this tommorrow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

That must have been quite a sight to see at speed. 

Well the rig weighed 60+ pounds and he rode it slow AF. It worked better that way anyway. And he typically had all other manner of tools loaded up on it as well.

3 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Works for me if you want to tackle some of it. Let me know how much you get done.

I finished all trail East of the first creek crossing including the ‘exit trail’ consisting of Debs drop.  Also finished the trail along the other side of the creek and about half up the other side.   Hope that helps. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great minds think alike. I was planning on doing this tommorrow.

Some would argue that blowing leaves off the trail encourages erosion. Blowing out drains is on the ok list for them. Just food for thought. You do you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

Some would argue that blowing leaves off the trail encourages erosion. Blowing out drains is on the ok list for them. Just food for thought. You do you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Popcorn Time!

By the way... I am blown away at how many Barneys are riding their bikes with reflectors and no helmets on DD or 1/4 Notch. I saw a girl , less then 5' tall riding down the Bailout from 1/4. No helmet. Flip flops on a 29er.

Point being please be aware there is gonna be alot of people out on the trails that are above their pay grade.
I'm all about them enjoying the trails. I get parents being at with end with kids and looking to get the kids out.

So no judgement really under the circumstances but please be aware these folks are out there so we as riders should be extra careful.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

I have seen people with camelbacks and no helmet and think WTF. But the ones that really pique my interest are the people with elbow and knee pads with no helmet. Can't figure out that risk model.

Tuck and roll and you'll protect your head.  It's like being able to put your seatbt on fast enough if it looks like you'll crash your car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Cafeend said:

By the way... I am blown away at how many Barneys are riding their bikes with reflectors and no helmets on DD or 1/4 Notch. I saw a girl , less then 5' tall riding down the Bailout from 1/4. No helmet. Flip flops on a 29er.

Point being please be aware there is gonna be alot of people out on the trails that are above their pay grade.
I'm all about them enjoying the trails. I get parents being at with end with kids and looking to get the kids out.

So no judgement really under the circumstances but please be aware these folks are out there so we as riders should be extra careful.

I've been riding the hike and bike on my gravel bike and I'm dumbfounded by the number of people without helmets. Saw a mother with three young children and a tag along not one of them had a helmet.

• Like 1

I have seen people with camelbacks and no helmet and think WTF. But the ones that really pique my interest are the people with elbow and knee pads with no helmet. Can't figure out that risk model.

It’s the turtle school of bailing.

Maybe the deal with helmets is they are afraid to try them on so they get one that doesn’t fit right and therefore don’t wear it. I would expect most bike shops to sell them a helmet with the bike so they probably have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Knee pads have saved my knees countless times, but in years of MTB I've only cracked 2 helmets.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Clueless people were out in full force last week. Along with a dozen or so helmetless/shirtless mountain bikers, I saw two hikers almost get hit by a train because they decided to walk across the bridge by Mulligan. I’m all for people enjoying the outdoors, but I’d rather not spend my ride watching people narrowly avoid serious injuries.

This week, I switched to riding first thing in the morning and it’s wonderful!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Some would argue that blowing leaves off the trail encourages erosion. Blowing out drains is on the ok list for them.

Some people are just like to argue. Let them argue with another person who like to argue.

While they are busy I can do useful things. Like get leaves off the trail.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Clueless people were out in full force last week. Along with a dozen or so helmetless/shirtless mountain bikers, I saw two hikers almost get hit by a train because they decided to walk across the bridge by Mulligan. I’m all for people enjoying the outdoors, but I’d rather not spend my ride watching people narrowly avoid serious injuries.

I saw the people up there on the trestle. I have seen that before and if you are dumb enough to do that , well tell Darwin I said hi 

I think I might ride at night again to avoid.    I dont care that people are using the trails really, but some are outside their pay-grade for sure.   Now some folks have been super nice on  the trails and get out of the way and are aware.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Took me a second to realize you meant an actual train and not a train of bikers.

• Like 1