IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

17 hours ago, throet said:

Rode Snail, Rim, Deception, and Picnic between 6 and 7:30. Saw a lot of traffic on Picnic and 1/4 but not much at all on DD and Rim.   

At this point I'm riding exclusively on DD if I go between 3 and 7, because the number of walkers has gotten so out of hand.  They obviously have as much right to the trail as me; just saying that's how I manage to avoid them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Myself. HB and a guy named Steven. It's pucker factor is legit but the payoff is well worth it. We have plans for maybe a step up just after it on the upslope but we will see.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The roll-in is nice and throws you up the otherside wall for a higher wallride.  Fun stuff.  The drop - F-that.  I'm too old and fragile!

• Like 2

Just now, Shinerider said:

Funny thing, it isn't THAT much bigger than the drop on Picnic-X, that I have hit on my hardtail (accidentally).

Seems way bigger to me. I hit the big picnic drop at least 3-4x a week. The new snail drop scares the crap out of me just looking at it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

Seems way bigger to me. I hit the big picnic drop at least 3-4x a week. The new snail drop scares the crap out of me just looking at it.

It's the gap effect... put a piece of plywood between the lip and the transition, and your brain goes, "oh, that ain't so bad"... even though it didn't actually change anything.

21 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Funny thing, it isn't THAT much bigger than the drop on Picnic-X, that I have hit on my hardtail (accidentally).

Same here, and oddly enough, it wasn't as harsh as I would have expected.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gotdurt said:

It's the gap effect... put a piece of plywood between the lip and the transition, and your brain goes, "oh, that ain't so bad"... even though it didn't actually change anything.

So true!

For me the other thing that makes a difference is the length and quality of runoff after the landing.  Smooth, straight, and long gives more confidence than one that has a turn, or marbles on it, or maybe some bumps.  At least that's for me.

• Like 1

A big factor is also context of the feature.  If you threw that drop into some bike park in a mountain somewhere and most people would ride it without much of a thought.  However, you put it on a 'normal' trail, even Snail which is above a lot of pay grades, and it suddenly looks HUGE!  

I'm stoked to see the envelope being pushed and different features being created for different riders.  The same mantra holds true for all of them: If you can't ride it, don't change it so you can.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Txduc said:

Just when I got comfortable with the rest of the stuff on Snail.  Oh well something new to work up the courage to try.

As long as there's a line around this crazy drop, I'm good.  😄  I haven't been to Brushy in a few months now, which makes me sad (broke the frame on my Epic, it's out of warranty of course, and I don't have a new mountain bike yet, really need one, and sucks that another long wave of rain just started).

..Al

48 minutes ago, Albert said:

As long as there's a line around this crazy drop, I'm good.  😄  I haven't been to Brushy in a few months now, which makes me sad (broke the frame on my Epic, it's out of warranty of course, and I don't have a new mountain bike yet, really need one, and sucks that another long wave of rain just started).

..Al

A lot of deals going on now 

57 minutes ago, Albert said:

...broke the frame on my Epic, it's out of warranty of course, and I don't have a new mountain bike yet, really need one, and sucks that another long wave of rain just started).

..Al

If you have the receipt, try it anyway. Back in 2013 I noticed a crack on my '01 Stumpjumper FSR that I bought new back in AZ; BSS did the warranty process for me and Specialized sent me a new 2013 Stumpjumper frame. There was a brief period that their frames had 5 year warranty (or was it 10?), but when they returned to lifetime they included frames made during the short warranty period.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

If you have the receipt, try it anyway. Back in 2013 I noticed a crack on my '01 Stumpjumper FSR that I bought new back in AZ; BSS did the warranty process for me and Specialized sent me a new 2013 Stumpjumper frame. There was a brief period that their frames had 5 year warranty (or was it 10?), but when they returned to lifetime they included frames made during the short warranty period.

Already tried, they will give me a nice discount on a new carbon bike, which I may take advantage of, but they have none of the high-end Specialized bikes available for demo or rental.  Not even a single Epic across their entire chain.  Which sucks--who wants to buy a $5,000+ bike without riding it first?  And I don't mean just tooling around in the stupid parking lot.

Oh, it was the rear triangle that cracked, right where it joins the carbon frame (rear triangle for this year was aluminum, the year after they went to carbon for the rear triangle as well).  Specialized says they don't even have those rear triangles, even if they would warranty it.  So that bike is basically SOL.  I can part it out at some point, I guess.

..Al

22 hours ago, Albert said:

Already tried, they will give me a nice discount on a new carbon bike, which I may take advantage of, but they have none of the high-end Specialized bikes available for demo or rental.  Not even a single Epic across their entire chain.  Which sucks--who wants to buy a $5,000+ bike without riding it first?  And I don't mean just tooling around in the stupid parking lot.

Oh, it was the rear triangle that cracked, right where it joins the carbon frame (rear triangle for this year was aluminum, the year after they went to carbon for the rear triangle as well).  Specialized says they don't even have those rear triangles, even if they would warranty it.  So that bike is basically SOL.  I can part it out at some point, I guess.

..Al

is the crack on a weld or flat part? or is it around the pivot points? 

what year/size? have you looked at used frames on pink bike?

Edited by circuitbreaker

Just now, Cafeend said:

Too Wet still?

I rode out there this morning to check things out. The high humidity in the morning made rocks and exposed roots very slick on 1/4 Notch and Double Down. I didn’t ride the whole trail because I was afraid I was going to bust my ass.

Picnic was also slimy still and I was getting a decent amount of dirt caking on the tires so I turned around. 

Should be in better shape this afternoon with the sun we’re getting. I don’t think Peddlers will be g2g today, so I’ll check tomorrow. 

43D40452-233C-40A1-ADA4-DFD4C84E318C.jpeg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I rode out there this morning to check things out. The high humidity in the morning made rocks and exposed roots very slick on 1/4 Notch and Double Down. I didn’t ride the whole trail because I was afraid I was going to bust my ass.

Picnic was also slimy still and I was getting a decent amount of dirt caking on the tires so I turned around. 

Should be in better shape this afternoon with the sun we’re getting. I don’t think Peddlers will be g2g today, so I’ll check tomorrow. 

43D40452-233C-40A1-ADA4-DFD4C84E318C.jpeg

So maybe tomorrow morning for 1/4 and DD? It's pushing 90 deg here in Leander right now...

Just now, GreenMTBrider said:

Tomorrow DD and 1/4 will be good. I’d guess with 99.9% confidence they’re good now given how warm it’s been today.

I'm probably going to check out Deception and Picnic in a bit. Riding from home so if the the ground is too soft to ride I'll at least have gotten some kind of ride in.

• Like 4