IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, quixoft said:

Hi folks, just found these forums! I consider myself a beginner to trail riding although I did ride a lot as a kid with a cheap KMart BMX knock off in OP Schnabel Park in San Antonio back in the 80s. My parent's house backed up to the park and my friends and I blazed a lot of trails through there that are paved now! 

I hadn't been on a bike in about 20 years so I picked up a 2018 Specialized Rockhopper hardtail last year just to get some cardio work in every now and then. I've been riding around the Round Rock area the past year but mostly just on the BC Regional Trail from the end by Great Oaks Drive to the lake and back and sometimes hitting the trail on the other side of I-35 as well. I randomly came across this site last night and found the info on the trails by the sports park off Parmer. I had no idea there were actual MTB specific trails just beyond where I normally turn around.

Went out this morning at 7:30am and ran through Mulligan(that last drop is awesome!), 1/4 Notch, and Picnic. Made it all the way through 1/4 Notch fairly well I think but had to walk it up a few of the tougher climbs. Of course I'm going to blame the bike and not my lack of skill and being out of shape! I did realize I need to do some upgrades on the bike. It's the Expert Rockhopper version and all stock outside of pedals and grips. After running through 1/4 Notch I'm looking to replace the front fork and tires to start. I bottomed out the front end multiple times on some of the 1/4 Notch areas(big time on that double drop from the top area) and felt like I had zero grip in the loose rocks and exposed bedrock even though it was 99% dry. Tires are the stock tires and were at 33R/30F(I'm 6'3", 190lbs).

Anyway, I had a blast this morning and will be out that way a lot more now that I know it's there! I bought the bike at Bicycle Sport Shop off Parmer and will probably be pinging them for tires and forks. Any recommendations on tires/forks for the brushy creek trails?

Also, where is this Snail trail? That looks fun!

Welcome. Glad you're getting back into it. Of course you'll get more grip with a full squish, but as far as tires go, I like a Nobby Nic out back. Works like a paddle wheel on those loose rocks. A Nic upfront isn't a bad option either for these trails, although I opt for a Magic Mary, which never fails to hook up. I'm running 2.35in on my 29er and 2.6in on my 27.5. I'm a little lighter than you (these days anyway), and run around 26 back and 24 front (a little less on the fatter ones). 

Welcome Don Quixoft (can I call you that?)

I don't know how wide your tires are.  You should look into going tubeless and lower on pressures to get less of that bouncy feeling on a hardtail.  I run a 2.35" rear  on my hardtail at ~200lbs at 30-32psi.  I would go lower but my rims are too narrow.

7 hours ago, Albert said:

I think I'll just need to walk Snail next time I'm out there to take a look at these cool features without actually killing myself.  😄

..Al

I am not a jumper but if you're careful Snail is not bad to go down easy the first time, and there are B-lines that involve no jumping at least down the options I've tried.  Even with no jumping it's a lot of fun.

4 hours ago, quixoft said:

Hi folks, just found these forums! I consider myself a beginner to trail riding although I did ride a lot as a kid with a cheap KMart BMX knock off in OP Schnabel Park in San Antonio back in the 80s. My parent's house backed up to the park and my friends and I blazed a lot of trails through there that are paved now! 

I hadn't been on a bike in about 20 years so I picked up a 2018 Specialized Rockhopper hardtail last year just to get some cardio work in every now and then. I've been riding around the Round Rock area the past year but mostly just on the BC Regional Trail from the end by Great Oaks Drive to the lake and back and sometimes hitting the trail on the other side of I-35 as well. I randomly came across this site last night and found the info on the trails by the sports park off Parmer. I had no idea there were actual MTB specific trails just beyond where I normally turn around.

Went out this morning at 7:30am and ran through Mulligan(that last drop is awesome!), 1/4 Notch, and Picnic. Made it all the way through 1/4 Notch fairly well I think but had to walk it up a few of the tougher climbs. Of course I'm going to blame the bike and not my lack of skill and being out of shape! I did realize I need to do some upgrades on the bike. It's the Expert Rockhopper version and all stock outside of pedals and grips. After running through 1/4 Notch I'm looking to replace the front fork and tires to start. I bottomed out the front end multiple times on some of the 1/4 Notch areas(big time on that double drop from the top area) and felt like I had zero grip in the loose rocks and exposed bedrock even though it was 99% dry. Tires are the stock tires and were at 33R/30F(I'm 6'3", 190lbs).

Anyway, I had a blast this morning and will be out that way a lot more now that I know it's there! I bought the bike at Bicycle Sport Shop off Parmer and will probably be pinging them for tires and forks. Any recommendations on tires/forks for the brushy creek trails?

Also, where is this Snail trail? That looks fun!

First, I want to apologize in advance for being “that guy”. Have you considered upgrading to a more capable bike? Your riding an entry level short travel cross country oriented bike. If you were only riding easier trails like picnic, I wouldn’t even mention getting a new bike but your interest in riding 1/4 notch compels me to at least mention it. With Austin’s rocky terrain, a longer travel trail oriented bike would make a world of a difference. 130mm fork, stronger wheel set with tubeless tires, dropper post and a 1x11 drive train would put you on a path to feeling much more confident at brushy, especially on the more challenging, rocky trails. There are a lot of great hard tails in the $1,200 range. Now don’t get me wrong, there is an argument to be made that the skill of the rider is what matters and not the bike they rolled up on, but having the right equipment can certainly help. 

An XC bike is fine.  Ride it until it breaks.  Deception is only 1/4 notch harder than walnut anyway.

I wouldn't spend money on an XC fork for that bike, just get a shock pump and add air so it doesn't bottom out.  Learn to tune it.  Get better tires.  All set.

• Like 2

Don't worry about the fork or the bike, just get the fork set up right and I think you'll be surprised at how well it will work for you. Now, when you find yourself sending it off of features like Spongebob (not just rolling it) and carrying warp-speed through the roller coaster below Swag, then you might find yourself looking at "bigger" bikes... until then, just ride.

A while back BKXC met with Rugger for an interview and I got to tag along... we were sitting atop EBD talking and some guy came rolling up on a upper-entry level XC hardtail like your Rockhopper, and without hesitating, just sent it off EBD. We all looked at each other, and Brian said something like, "well now, I wasn't expecting that!"... we laughed.

It ain't the bike.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, First-Blood said:

New feature on Snail. Also improved drops run ups and widened dirt wall ride after dual drops. Go test. Needs a little ground work but very rideable as is. 803b53fe15ee231ff87167d8a459e8ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I rode by it today. Looks fun! Landing looks a bit loose so I'm going to wait until I'm not riding solo. 

I rode by it today. Looks fun! Landing looks a bit loose so I'm going to wait until I'm not riding solo. 
Landing and approach are not done. But I hit it about 5 times to test alignment and pitch without issue. It just needs a light rake...ran out of time. It should be done done by tomorrow evening if I get free time tomorrow.

12 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I am not a jumper but if you're careful Snail is not bad to go down easy the first time, and there are B-lines that involve no jumping at least down the options I've tried.  Even with no jumping it's a lot of fun.

Oh, yeah, I ride it going down all the time without getting any air and it's still fun!  Still would be fun to just sit there on a busier day with a chair and watch people at the more...interesting locations.  🙂

..Al

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, I ride it going down all the time without getting any air and it's still fun!  Still would be fun to just sit there on a busier day with a chair and watch people at the more...interesting locations.  [emoji846]
 ..Al
Maybe a live stream or remote access recorder is in order. Could be hours of entertainment from the comfort of my home. Who do we talk to in order to make this happen.

11 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Landing and approach are not done. But I hit it about 5 times to test alignment and pitch without issue. It just needs a light rake...ran out of time. It should be done done by tomorrow evening if I get free time tomorrow.

Hit it this morning, nice and mellow, not sketchy at all. Nice work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albert said:

Oh, yeah, I ride it going down all the time without getting any air and it's still fun!  Still would be fun to just sit there on a busier day with a chair and watch people at the more...interesting locations.  🙂

..Al

I've sat at the bottom of Cru watching someone on a lower end bike trying to decide to ride it or not.  I can never make myself stand there and watch for fear of what I may see so I usually move on.

• Like 2

I never want to feel obligated to attend to the carnage so I usually try and vacate when I see something about to go down. I couldn’t just stand there and laugh or video if they busted their ass. I guess leaving isn’t exactly noble but at least I don’t feel like a turd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tree Magnet
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, biga9999 said:

I will stick around in case they bite it hard. Least I can do is call 911 for them if things go bad. 

I've had to do that before for someone on Deception (Double Down).  Came across a bloody mess on the trail and an abandoned bike, so I followed the blood trail until I saw someone soaked in blood trying to find a way out of the trail..  Called 911 and helped them out to a cul-de-sac in the neighborhood above the trail and waited with them for the ambulance.  Then went back to grab bike and waited in the same cul-de-sac for his wife/girlfriend to retrieve it  That was a bit scary. 

..Al

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

6A3E7D8C-5345-4056-81B9-8CB3739FCF68.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kudos to Derek (not sure about spelling) if you're out there for humoring me on DD today. On the first section between Swag and the Picnic bailout I was busting my balls (and lungs) to stay ahead of you. When I stopped at the bailout and saw you quickly come up from behind, it was clear that you had just relaxed your pace to not intimidate me. Letting you proceed ahead of me on the remaining section of DD and subsequently leaving me in your dust was a clear indicator that I wasn't in your league. Anyway it was good chatting for those few minutes of rest we shared after the climb to EBD and glad we could do that even while social distancing.

Man I've enjoyed these last couple of days out there. Planning to get some more tomorrow before the rains move in again.   

• Like 3

On 4/14/2020 at 9:12 PM, WLemke said:

First, I want to apologize in advance for being “that guy”. Have you considered upgrading to a more capable bike? Your riding an entry level short travel cross country oriented bike. If you were only riding easier trails like picnic, I wouldn’t even mention getting a new bike but your interest in riding 1/4 notch compels me to at least mention it. With Austin’s rocky terrain, a longer travel trail oriented bike would make a world of a difference. 130mm fork, stronger wheel set with tubeless tires, dropper post and a 1x11 drive train would put you on a path to feeling much more confident at brushy, especially on the more challenging, rocky trails. There are a lot of great hard tails in the $1,200 range. Now don’t get me wrong, there is an argument to be made that the skill of the rider is what matters and not the bike they rolled up on, but having the right equipment can certainly help. 

No worries at all. I've actually been saving for a full suspension bike so a new bike is planned, I just wasn't quite sure I needed it just yet with what I was riding and my skill level. Now that I've found more difficult stuff and have the scrapes and bumps(and sore bum), it seems a better idea at this time. Looking at the cost of upgrading what I have, it seems more prudent to buy a higher quality bike.

Oh, I did look into tuning my front fork and it seems there isn't much I can do with it. It's a 33mm fork so no volume spacers and there is actually a sticker on it that says "USE ONLY FOR LEISURE CROSS COUNTRY: DO NOT USE FOR FREERIDE/DOWNHILL, DIRT JUMPER OR ANY HARD RIDING"  Wen't out again yesterday and while it's fun on picnic(minus the small drops), I struggle on 1/4 notch. I know 99% of that is my skill but after two trips through 1/4 notch this week and going off those small 3 foot drops on picnic I'm thinking I would like a rear suspension bike and a better front end. To say what I currently have is jarring is putting it mildly. Even when I managed a fairly decent landing. 

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, quixoft said:

No worries at all. I've actually been saving for a full suspension bike so a new bike is planned, I just wasn't quite sure I needed it just yet with what I was riding and my skill level. Now that I've found more difficult stuff and have the scrapes and bumps(and sore bum), it seems a better idea at this time. Looking at the cost of upgrading what I have, it seems more prudent to buy a higher quality bike.

Oh, I did look into tuning my front fork and it seems there isn't much I can do with it. It's a 33mm fork so no volume spacers and there is actually a sticker on it that says "USE ONLY FOR LEISURE CROSS COUNTRY: DO NOT USE FOR FREERIDE/DOWNHILL, DIRT JUMPER OR ANY HARD RIDING"  Wen't out again yesterday and while it's fun on picnic(minus the small drops), I struggle on 1/4 notch. I know 99% of that is my skill but after two trips through 1/4 notch this week and going off those small 3 foot drops on picnic I'm thinking I would like a rear suspension bike and a better front end. To say what I currently have is jarring is putting it mildly. Even when I managed a fairly decent landing. 

Sounds like how it happens for the large majority of us.  Switching from my hardtail to full suspension has been amazing.   When it is time to ride, I HIGHLY recommend Peddler's Bike Shop.  They have great bikes, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, and their owner even is a trail steward for the Surburban Ninja trails which are right near Brushy Creek park (and are very fun trails).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, horncpa said:

Sounds like how it happens for the large majority of us.  Switching from my hardtail to full suspension has been amazing.   When it is time to ride, I HIGHLY recommend Peddler's Bike Shop.  They have great bikes, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, and their owner even is a trail steward for the Surburban Ninja trails which are right near Brushy Creek park (and are very fun trails).

Thanks for the heads up. I picked up my current bike at Bicycle Sport Shop off Parmer but I'll check out Peddler's.

15 hours ago, throet said:

Anyway it was good chatting for those few minutes of rest we shared after the climb to EBD and glad we could do that even while social distancing.

I wasn't sure and I didn't check it out the last time I rode, but I thought going up EBD was part of the connector that is closed.  I'm glad to read it's still open.

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I wasn't sure and I didn't check it out the last time I rode, but I thought going up EBD was part of the connector that is closed.  I'm glad to read it's still open.

EBD is at the top of the long climb up from where the 3-way split is on DD - one direction goes back to Swag, one direction continues up to EBD and the western end of DD, and third direction drops down into PicnicX or out to the BCRT.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Browndog said:

I left the house early this morning worrying about viruses, jobs and homeschooling and came back home thinking about techy spots on Deception and sweet jumps on Snail. Beautiful morning on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more conf call to go and I'm doing the same.  Looks great outside other than being a bit windy.

• Like 1