IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, Austin Smithey said:

I've been riding Brushy for the first time lately and I don't know for sure if my tire pressure is set correctly. I don't wanna have it too high an risk bursting it. What do yall run? (got 29" tubeless if that matters at all)

Don't worry, it's not like a balloon, just don't go over the rating stated on the sidewall and there'll be no bursting. Otherwise, that's a really loaded question; it depends on the tire design, construction, volume, rim width, riding style, rider weight, suspension, etc. Best starting point would be the rated pressure for that tire, then go down from there until it performs the way you like... if you start getting rim strikes or feeling squirmy, you've gone too low.

For example, I weigh about 200 with gear; For my hardtail with 2.3 WTB Vigilantes, I like 24 rear, 20 front, but for my full suspension with 2.4 Geax Gomas I like 25 rear, 18-19 front

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

I've been riding Brushy for the first time lately and I don't know for sure if my tire pressure is set correctly. I don't wanna have it too high an risk bursting it. What do yall run? (got 29" tubeless if that matters at all)
I set rear to 20 to 25 depending how hard I think I'm gonna bash and 18 if doing hot laps of PP. And my front stays around 15. I also have huck Norris insert in rear. And I ride with thicker sidewalls like DDs sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Austin Smithey said:

I've been playing with mine lately. Right now I'm at 31R/27F but mine are old school with tubes. I'd like to go lower but that'll have to wait until I get on tubeless. 

42 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

I set rear to 20 to 25 depending how hard I think I'm gonna bash and 18 if doing hot laps of PP. And my front stays around 15. I also have huck Norris insert in rear. And I ride with thicker sidewalls like DDs sometimes.

What size tires and wheels?  I go under 22 rear and it feels very squirmy at PP.  In fact, the more traction there is the higher I have to go in pressure.

Man.. I know that works for you but isnt that a bit mushy? What about pinging your rims that low? I find I go faster.. less effort the firmer it is.. like a happy medium. You do you .just curious

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What size tires and wheels?  I go under 22 rear and it feels very squirmy at PP.  In fact, the more traction there is the higher I have to go in pressure.

29" tyres. rear tire is usually a 2.3 or larger on 30mm internal rim width with huck norris inserts. Im sure the inserts and thick sidewalls make a very big difference in how squishy the tire feels. I dint think I could get away with this with lesser sidewalls protection tires. About to try out these Nukeproof ARD inserts for better traction at these lower pressures. 18 can feel a bit like it will squirm at times. I know it isnt right for everyone cause it is a bit low and has more rolling resistance. But I like the feeling of the hookup in corners. There isnt anything to bash your Rim on while riding PP. I lean towards 25 if I'm doing enduro races and 20 for casual rides.  But I try to ride like my zen master[mention=133]Morealice[/mention] taught me when learning the ropes. "Light on the bike brah"I also just learned a guy who I know is an amazing rider typically runs 11 psi at Jester! Crazy! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I find myself running 28-30 pounds, even with no tubes and sealant. I like a firmer ride and I hate feeling like I'm gonna burp a tire on a tight term. Also, I have never had to replace a rim except for eyelet cracks, never a dent.

Yeah, I do the same, my tire pressure is fairly high, especially on trails with lots of rocks like Brushy Creek, Lake Georgetown, BCGB, and most singletrack trails in Central Texas.  I've also never had to replace a rim, nor have I ever burped out all my sealant.  I also don't like the sloppy feeling if I go around a corner fast with lower tire pressure..

I tried less pressure — mid to low 20s — just felt too sloppy also, but I'm at 6'4"/240 lbs with gear. Normal pressure is 30/35 depending on trail.What I have done is go up in tire size, from 2.25 to 2.4 now. I'm going to try a 2.5 in front soon. Rims will be new too at 29/30mm front, 25mm rear. The increase in tire size is a good ride improvement. Never dented a rim, but I don't get the wheels off the ground more than 18".

Edited by RidingAgain

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Because this:

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

...2.3 or larger on 30mm internal rim width with huck norris inserts.

Wider rims and larger volumes can run lower pressures. That's why "plus" bikes run about 10 psi average lower than a 2.3 25-ish internal rims.

...and also this:

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

But I try to ride like my zen master[mention=133]Morealice[/mention] taught me when learning the ropes. "Light on the bike brah"

A little grace goes a looong way.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

What the hell I'll throw in my .02c  I weigh ~165 and run 2.35 Ardent race on 30mm wide rims tubeless with 19psi front and 23psi rear.  Works great on my FS but I have pinch flatted with that set up on the SS hardtail bombing a rock garden so I'm not about to run lower in the rear.

Riding weight 235, rims 30mm on my Trek Fuel.   I ran about 23 psi in the rear with 29x2.4 tires and about 20 psi with 29x2.6 in the front.  That is my sweet spot for brushy and lake Georgetown.   That setup is much better than the 30 psi I used to run.  Just upgraded to 2.5 in the rear and trying 21 psi.  Might go up to 22 psi..

I run around 25 psi on my hardtail with same rims and 2.4 in rear and 2.3 in the front.   

I'm also considering inserts, something like huck norris.

Edited by JRIDER

Riding weight 235. running Aggressor 29x2.5 rear at 25 psi tubeless. DHF 29x2.5 front 15-18 psi tubeless. Nextie 30mm internal rims. When I was running Schwalbe I needed more psi or the tires would be very squirmy. I can kinda tell the sweet spot by the sound my tires make while riding. You want enough psi to let the tread make full contact with the ground while minimizing rim strikes and squirminess. Too much psi and the tire tends to get too round of a profile and doesn't bite as well as it should.

Can’t stand the feel of a foldy, slow tire on the trail. I don’t pay attention to pressure any further than squeezing sidewall to a firmness that feels right. I carry a pump and on rare occasions will add or release air. If I get caught up in rim widths and tire casings and pressures, I’ll get bogged down. I will say that the experience of having the pressure “feel right” comes from having paid a little attention to the pump reading in the past. Probably in the high 20s rear and slightly lower front. 

play around with pressure and see what hooks up right for you

• Like 1