IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Ahhhhhh that's Toby. Got video to load. Just met the dude put there while working and he sent it. As you see the speed needed is not as much as you would think is needed. But if you go too fast the drop will be a bit rough as the transition is steep and will make the 8 ft drop turn 10 plus real quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Haught Diggity said:

I saw a dude send it off that new monster drop on Snail yesterday.  The video is sideways, but this is pretty beast.

IMG_1130.MOV 7.28 MB · 11 downloads  

Video worked for me on my phone. Not on the computer.

I have not even tried this part of snail yet. I keep going to the right to the smaller drop. I would imagine that if I can do the smaller drop, this one wouldn't be any more difficult. I guess its just a mental thing.

32 minutes ago, WLemke said:

I have not even tried this part of snail yet. I keep going to the right to the smaller drop. I would imagine that if I can do the smaller drop, this one wouldn't be any more difficult. I guess its just a mental thing.

No man, this one is WAY bigger.  I do the drops on the right line all the time, but this one is significantly bigger.  I dropped down the wood structure yesterday pretty gracefully, but sending the full drop is sicko!

No man, this one is WAY bigger.  I do the drops on the right line all the time, but this one is significantly bigger.  I dropped down the wood structure yesterday pretty gracefully, but sending the full drop is sicko!
I would say yes and no. For me.. I physically approach and attack this drop the same as the small ones. Same body posture, look fwd, try and land front wheel slightly before rear... etc. But the margin for error is smaller and consequence is larger . You blow it on smaller drops or brake jack last second and still roll put the small ones. There is no rolling put this one if you go too slow or freeze up
Also on smaller ones you can go almost as fast as you want with no change .. this bigger one if you go too fast the drop gets further and landing G forces get stronger which can bottom you out and then possible rebound buck you.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Haught Diggity said:

Yup. There's a drop at Christchurch that's about half the size of the big snail one. I'd imagine that's the one to conquer and session before attempting the big snail one. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, radiantm3 said:

Yup. There's a drop at Christchurch that's about half the size of the big snail one. I'd imagine that's the one to conquer and session before attempting the big snail one. 

have the built the run-in to that drop a church yet?

7 minutes ago, McRibs said:

Just a temporary one. I haven't hit that feature yet because I usually need to see someone else hit something before I try it. But I have done a few run ups and the run-in ramp isn't as bad as it looks. 

Edited by radiantm3

Just a temporary one. I haven't hit that feature yet because I usually need to see someone else hit something before I try it. But I have done a few run ups and the run-in ramp isn't as bad as it looks. 
For that one you need to get your speed up. Maybe a quick pedal stroke or two on wood. Without speed you kinda have a huck to flat feel

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, McRibs said:

FYI - the drop is currently closed, as we're reworking the landing to be steeper and more smooth. We've been challenged in getting a machine out there, so we decided to suck it up and do it by hand. We are also doubling the width of the landing so we can add a smaller drop so folks can start small and progress. As you can imagine, it's A LOT of rock and dirt to move, but we're doing our best. We've held off on building the entry until we get signs up notifying riders of the necessity of having a waiver on file with FR512, but we hope to get it done soon!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

And since we're talking about drops, do make sure you get your speed right! I came into this drop too slow, cased, and . . . well, you'll see. I've had several years of redemption on that drop, but this one owned me and claimed my Fox 40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7n2V-4PtT8

Is this at Winter Park? I feel like I recognize that name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radiantm3 said:

Funny. I haven't hit either of these yet either, but I've been working up the guts to give it a shot. The snail one seems like a better start to me for some reason. Seems like the landing is more gradual at snail, the church drop almost looked flat.

41 minutes ago, Barry said:

Oh! Is the new Snail drop an attempted duplicate of that thing? It looks just like it with the ramp-down beside it. 

45 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

And since we're talking about drops, do make sure you get your speed right! I came into this drop too slow, cased, and . . . well, you'll see. I've had several years of redemption on that drop, but this one owned me and claimed my Fox 40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7n2V-4PtT8

Wow.  That looked crazy.  Nice you could walk away from that.

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

FYI - the drop is currently closed, as we're reworking the landing to be steeper and more smooth. We've been challenged in getting a machine out there, so we decided to suck it up and do it by hand. We are also doubling the width of the landing so we can add a smaller drop so folks can start small and progress. As you can imagine, it's A LOT of rock and dirt to move, but we're doing our best. We've held off on building the entry until we get signs up notifying riders of the necessity of having a waiver on file with FR512, but we hope to get it done soon!

Excellent news!   I'd love to have somewhere to learn drops.  

Just now, horncpa said:

Excellent news!   I'd love to have somewhere to learn drops.  

Same here. Both jumps and drops. I'm just fine on anything less than 3' but my eyes start getting wide on anything higher. It would be nice if there were some areas around town with a good progression of drops and jumps for beginners to get more confidence. I've accidentally gone off one of the higher drops along Picnic(4 or 5 ft) thinking it was one of the lower ones. I made it without crashing but it definitely wasn't pretty and there was a narrow miss with a tree so I haven't attempted again!

4 hours ago, schoolie said:

The snail one seems like a better start to me for some reason. Seems like the landing is more gradual at snail, the church drop almost looked flat.

I don't ever see me hitting the non-ramped one on Snail. But I don't think I'll have a problem with the one at CC, especially if there is a training wheels version next to it. 

Edited by Barry

3 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Same here. Both jumps and drops. I'm just fine on anything less than 3' but my eyes start getting wide on anything higher. It would be nice if there were some areas around town with a good progression of drops and jumps for beginners to get more confidence. I've accidentally gone off one of the higher drops along Picnic(4 or 5 ft) thinking it was one of the lower ones. I made it without crashing but it definitely wasn't pretty and there was a narrow miss with a tree so I haven't attempted again!

Someone mentioned to me there might be a "drop trainer" at the Free512 location in Smithville, I need to find out.

As for jumps, I agree as well.  I am going to go to Seguin MTB bike soon.  They are supposed to have a good progression of jumps available to learn on.  They even do a skills camp there from time to time.

37 minutes ago, horncpa said:

Someone mentioned to me there might be a "drop trainer" at the Free512 location in Smithville, I need to find out.

As for jumps, I agree as well.  I am going to go to Seguin MTB bike soon.  They are supposed to have a good progression of jumps available to learn on.  They even do a skills camp there from time to time.

Been to seguin and theres a few cool things to ride there. I'd do rocky/512 as its more of a one stop shop for skills progression.

2 hours ago, horncpa said:

Yep - we have a drop zone with 5 ladders ranging from ~2-3' up to 10'

• Like 1