IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

And you know, it's never about the person riding the B line. Maybe they don't even know? It's about the asshat who builds the B line, when the trail builder and land managers didn't intend it. Do not mess with trails you are not authorised to mess with. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Barry said:

And you know, it's never about the person riding the B line. Maybe they don't even know? It's about the asshat who builds the B line, when the trail builder and land managers didn't intend it. Do not mess with trails you are not authorised to mess with. 

Agreed. So many times (even on trails I know pretty well), I find myself accidentally taking a B line. If I'm in a zone, my eyes and brain are scanning the terrain for the "best" line, and too often that is a B line because it is by definition easiler. Then, I look back and say, "Shit, I just missed that fun/challenging feature I used to ride."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

I know... I'll get blowback on this... But no, Morris... That's not "...what it's about...".

Now, as I've said before... I'm a big fan of yours... But riding isn't about trying to get more skilled to do harder sections... Riding is about enjoyment... And different people have different measures regarding what enjoyment to them is. Right here on this board we have different people saying that they will do so much and no more. So if you go further than them are going to accuse them of not doing "...what it's about..."?

If you're a pro then you gotta make the grade and do what pros do. But if you're just an amateur rider you only have to do what you feel comfortable doing. And should be able to do so without having to be confronted by some people looking down on you.

A few days ago I went riding with my wife on the section of SATN that runs from the cave to Brodie Lane (I don't know the name)... She's ridden it before and enjoyed it, but for whatever reason, on this day she just wasn't into it and even made a comment that she didn't want me to bring her back on it in the future. I just smiled and said sure. And then I reminded her that Slaughter Creek trail, which she loves, is harder.

Some days people are motivated to do harder stuff... Other days people aren't.

And no, this isn't about putting in B lines for every possible harder trail section... Walking sections is a normal part of riding... It's about the opinion that taking a B line is somehow always a cop-out to not putting in the work... Which it isn't.

I feel you but for that same reason I stayed off deception for a whole year, stuck to peddlers pass , picnic walnut , muleshoe , pacebend , reimers ranch, etc. I never felt I was suffering from lack of trails. I still visit those with my wife and have a blast. Different trails for different skills.   

Edited by Morris
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Morris said:

I feel you but for that same reason I stayed off deception for a whole year, stuck to peddlers pass , picnic walnut , muleshoe , pacebend , reimers ranch, etc. I never felt I was suffering from lack of trails. I still visit those with my wife and have a blast. Different trails for different skills.   

Exactly. 

B lines are the participation trophies of the mountain biking world.

18 minutes ago, Chief said:

The feature where the video starts is Dub Step.

It seems in the video even the line taken at the top after clearing Dub Step is a B line, intended or not. I've always veered to the left after getting to the top, which forces you over a little baby step-up. As noted by Notyal, eventually that right line at the top will get so worn in that folks won't even realize there is a fun and challenging line on the left that squeezes a little more juice out of you after clearing Dub. Deception is a trail that was masterfully crafted by the builders to challenge the rider with every feature possible from the terrain. I'd sure like to keep it that way!    

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, throet said:

It seems in the video even the line taken at the top after clearing Dub Step is a B line, intended or not. I've always veered to the left after getting to the top, which forces you over a little baby step-up. As noted by Notyal, eventually that right line at the top will get so worn in that folks won't even realize there is a fun and challenging line on the left that squeezes a little more juice out of you after clearing Dub. Deception is a trail that was masterfully crafted by the builders to challenge the rider with every feature possible from the terrain. I'd sure like to keep it that way!    

That B line was cut by the builders a while back to give a better line of sight for riders in either direction. Once it was opened up it became a new line. I've noticed a lot of B lines at places that were not necessarily features but small step ups and now the step is is being reclaimed by nature. Kinda sucks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

A few days ago I went riding with my wife on the section of SATN that runs from the cave to Brodie Lane (I don't know the name)... She's ridden it before and enjoyed it, but for whatever reason, on this day she just wasn't into it and even made a comment that she didn't want me to bring her back on it in the future. I just smiled and said sure. And then I reminded her that Slaughter Creek trail, which she loves, is harder.

Some days people are motivated to do harder stuff... Other days people aren't.

I'm really amused RA by how every time you want to make a point about a B line you use your wife as an example. That time I showed you around Brushy you were dismounting your bike on virtually every climb and baby feature, and that was before we even reached Deception. It was for that reason that I steered you promptly over to Picnic and Peddlers, trails more suited for your riding level. Maybe that was just one of those days you weren't motivated to do harder stuff? In any case, there is no need for you to come across like you are only advocating for the masses (or your wife). Or is it a case where you yourself are fine getting off your bike fifty times during a ride, but you're just being sensitive to all of those other folks who prefer to stay on their bike and ride around stuff? Anyway it goes, there are plenty of trails around to suit everybody's skill level. That is the right answer here.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

@HoneyBadger Were you out working on Peddler's yesterday?   I saw you while I was on the loop, but had a good time working.  I rode over about ten minutes after that but you/someone had already left.  I was going to try and help out a bit.    Thanks for all you do out there.  Peddler's Pass sure is fun to ride.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry said:

At 22:02, yes.

Wait, THAT is the alter?  I thought y'all were talking about the drop down from the neighborhood fence line at 26:59. First time I encountered that one it took me about 5 minutes to gather up the courage to go down it!

10 minutes ago, throet said:

I'm really amused RA by how every time you want to make a point about a B line you use your wife as an example. That time I showed you around Brushy you were dismounting your bike on virtually every climb and baby feature, and that was before we even reached Deception. It was for that reason that I steered you promptly over to Picnic and Peddlers, trails more suited for your riding level. Maybe that was just one of those days you weren't motivated to do harder stuff? In any case, there is no need for you to come across like you are only advocating for the masses (or your wife). Or is it a case where you yourself are fine getting off your bike fifty times during a ride, but you're just being sensitive to all of those other folks who prefer to stay on their bike and ride around stuff? Anyway it goes, there are plenty of trails around to suit everybody's skill level. That is the right answer here.  

😲

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Wait, THAT is the alter?  I thought y'all were talking about the drop down from the neighborhood fence line at 26:59. First time I encountered that one it took me about 5 minutes to gather up the courage to go down it!

26:59 is SpongeBob. 

20 minutes ago, horncpa said:

@HoneyBadger Were you out working on Peddler's yesterday?   I saw you while I was on the loop, but had a good time working.  I rode over about ten minutes after that but you/someone had already left.  I was going to try and help out a bit.    Thanks for all you do out there.  Peddler's Pass sure is fun to ride.

That was me, if it was a long righthand berm on the West side of Parmer around 5:30pm. If it wasn't, some assholes doing a no no.

[mention=141]HoneyBadger[/mention] Were you out working on Peddler's yesterday?   I saw you while I was on the loop, but had a good time working.  I rode over about ten minutes after that but you/someone had already left.  I was going to try and help out a bit.    Thanks for all you do out there.  Peddler's Pass sure is fun to ride.
You wouldn't be allowed to help. No way to be socially distanced while trail building.@HoneyBadger [emoji848][emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

That was me, if it was a long righthand berm on the West side of Parmer around 5:30pm. If it wasn't, some assholes doing a no no.

I rode by you as well. I was the guy on the blue FS bike and was wearing the 2019 EB jersey. Sorry for riding on the dirt you were working on! Also, you ruined my strava PR by forcing me to slow down. 😝