IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Just now, Cafeend said:

well played Chuck, I was wondering about the repetitiveness but figured it was magic carpentry tricks. 

How pissed would FB be if he went through getting a sitter and hauled ass over there and it wasnt there? 

That is funny. 

And this is where pranking trail builders was born. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

Ok I'm caught up. But confused on you saying original line went away. No original line has been messed with on any of the lines. There is the new wood table top that still needs modifications. It is slightly too long and weird shaped. But no original lines were wiped out. Can you clarify if this is your question . Ypu can always text me
512 775 0054

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Isn't the new table top "on top of" the original line?

Edited by chuckt

Isn't the new table top "on top of" the original line?
Ah. Yes. But the original dirt line back when it was made was WAY bigger and more like a jump. Erosion took it down to it's form prior to wood table. The intent is to restore to original concept of a jump you can actually use but also still be able to roll. Explain what you loved about the feature prior to wood overlay and I'll see if there is a possible way to have that same feel off to the side.

It's your project man, and really appreciate the effort.

I just didn't see any issue with the previous line. It seemed to work with what's there. If maintaing speed off the drops is the goal for the lead in to the new monster drop, then so be it. IDK, but I will hold off judgment until it's all done.

Again, thanks for all the work you do.

• Like 1

It's your project man, and really appreciate the effort.
I just didn't see any issue with the previous line. It seemed to work with what's there. If maintaing speed off the drops is the goal for the lead in to the new monster drop, then so be it. IDK, but I will hold off judgment until it's all done.
Again, thanks for all the work you do.
That's part of it. But the bigger part of it was wanting to restore the feature back to what is was. It was only gonna get worse and further expose more and more underlying logs that are stacked under the dirt. Eventually it would be a nothing feature. Even the original dirt table we built was too short. And those who want to launch it would go to far alot of times and mis the transition. So a lot of speed would be needed to be scrubbed in order to not eat shit into the face of the wall ride after it. I didnt have the desire to move that much dirt to do it naturally just to have it erode again. The wood still needs to be modified. As it was built it works but doesn't flow the way I wanted exactly. But after your feed back I think I'll look into making an optional natural line to feel like what you and others might think was the original line.

Well I'm there now and can see the logs on the back side of it. I never stopped to look at it before and didn't realize it was built on a stack of them.
Also, my memory did have it placed on the first hump next to the new wood ramp... but it is actually at the second hump just before the wall ride.
I probably got confused because I took the left line (no drop) last time because I was looking for this new drop your're building, so I completely skipped the first hump.
I guess apologies are in order for the WTF schitt storm.

f4f79fd7728d419351db0353b12a1aec.jpg7977c2d8c8cd89bf73ff4ae7ade878d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by chuckt
  • Like 1

Rant... There's a guy I've encountered a few times around Picnic that never has his dog on a leash. It always seems to be around lunch time during the week. I've asked him nicely a couple times to use a leash in such a high traffic area but he just ignores me.

Saw him again this morning standing on the bridge by the train overpass with the dog off leash wandering on the bridge. I still had my go pro running from a Picnic run. Normally I would keep my distance and skip the little side path by the bridge but I was irritated so I buzzed behind him off the bridge. Couldn't help myself. If you see him, ask him to put his damn dog on a leash. 

*edit* Yes, it was a dick move on my part and catching hell for it was sort of why I posted it. Let my temper get the best of me as dogs off leash in public parks is a huge pet peeve of mine. Won't happen again! *edit*

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Rant... There's a guy I've encountered a few times around Picnic that never has his dog on a leash. It always seems to be around lunch time during the week. I've asked him nicely a couple times to use a leash in such a high traffic area but he just ignores me.

Saw him again this morning standing on the bridge by the train overpass with the dog off leash wandering on the bridge. I still had my go pro running from a Picnic run. Normally I would keep my distance and skip the little side path by the bridge but I was irritated so I buzzed behind him off the bridge. Couldn't help myself. If you see him, ask him to put his damn dog on a leash. 

I knew it was going to be this guy. He parks up here on Dodge Cattle and walks down. Nice guy. Honestly, I give people like him a pass. He’s just an old guy enjoying life with his puppers. 

5 hours ago, throet said:

I'm really amused RA by how every time you want to make a point about a B line you use your wife as an example. That time I showed you around Brushy you were dismounting your bike on virtually every climb and baby feature, and that was before we even reached Deception. It was for that reason that I steered you promptly over to Picnic and Peddlers, trails more suited for your riding level. Maybe that was just one of those days you weren't motivated to do harder stuff? In any case, there is no need for you to come across like you are only advocating for the masses (or your wife). Or is it a case where you yourself are fine getting off your bike fifty times during a ride, but you're just being sensitive to all of those other folks who prefer to stay on their bike and ride around stuff? Anyway it goes, there are plenty of trails around to suit everybody's skill level. That is the right answer here.  

Whoa my brother... That was sure intended to be an ouchie for me. I forgive you man.

Brotherly love aside... How about a little honesty... The one time we rode together we did so from your house, and approached the trail from the west, which was different from the one time I rode the trail before, which was from the east. And the part of the trail you started us in was some section that immediately hits an uphill section that's alongside a steep drop off, which also has some large, tight G-out feature and some wonky wood bridge thing... Sorry, but when I ride trail for the first time, and that I consider dangerous, I prefer to walk it. Bite me for being wise.

The rest of the trail wasn't much of a problem as far as I remember. And about the only section of the Deception part that I haven't attempted to ride is the part that I've been told has some kind of steps. And yes, there's another place that has some large rocks that kind of step up, it's part of a section that has some switch backs. But other than those three sections, I can't say I was "...dismounting [my] bike on virtually every climb and baby feature...".

Now... Not riding hills much down here on SATN trail, even the little extended climbs on Brushy trail can test my lungs, and I will stop if I feel the burn... But that has nothing to do with skill level... Which is what you're trying to diss.

When we went riding, it was before your fall and you'd said you were riding for hours almost every day, maybe even twice a day... On Brushy trail. Me, I was getting out maybe once or twice a week for maybe an hour... On the SATN trail around where I live, which is pretty much flat and not much like Brushy trail. And I'd only ridden Brushy trail once before.

But I guess your dishonesty is good for the laughs you desire. Unfortunate, but I get it.

As for my wife... She's who I ride with most often, and her skill level is different to mine, so I use her as a reference point when speaking about matters related to less skilled riders. Now that might bug you, but that's on you, not me.

Now...

Let's get this away from your personal attack... And back to the actual subject...

B lines are a part of trail building for public use... That's a fact. And only an ignorant person would try and argue otherwise.

I advocate for the use of B lines.

And since B lines are a part of trail building, what needs to be considered is how/where B lines should be incorporated into public use trails. Which I also advocate for.

Contrary to the silly dishonesty you were suggesting in your above comment, I've never advocated for B lines to be a part of every difficult feature on a trail. Never. What I do advocate for, and has been proven useful/beneficial on many public use mtb trails, is for B lines to be incorporated in places where the difficulty level of a feature makes it dangerous for lower skill riders to try and ride, or maybe even walk, and possibly dangerous for other riders who may be going fast and not expect to encounter a dismounted rider in the feature... AND... There is the terrain to include a B line without hindering/changing the integrity of the trail section (meaning, it doesn't create a conflict with the other trail feature). And this is being done all of the country on very popular, highly considered, mtb trail systems.

And I'd just like to point out... I've never built a B line on any trail I've helped build, maintain, or ridden. And I don't think that anyone should do so, apart from official approval by the official trail builder/authority.

Now...

To the matter of "...there are plenty of trails around to suit everybody's skill level."

No doubt about it...

BUT...

Public land is just that... Public land.

And anyone who pays local taxes has the right to use and enjoy public land. And you, nor any other private citizen has the right or authority to dictate what and how a tax paying local citizen enjoys their right to use public land. But perhaps you think you're some sort of little god who should be able to dictate how public land is used by others, throet.

And really...

WTF are we talking about...

Brushy has how many miles of trail... 10? 15? 20? More?

And how many B lines are being discussed... 5 yards? 10 yards? 20 yards? More?... That make up maybe a 50 yards of trail... If that? 50 yards of trail that would help a lower skill rider have more enjoyment when they're out riding trail. And you want to deny them of this.

What are you, a fricking buzz kill... A whining Debbie Downer.

Grow the frick up man.

Honestly, it just amazes me how insignificant a matter this is in the whole scheme of local public land trail building/useage in Austin... But people like you, throet, want to spend time whining about it over and over again.

Okay... In the words of ATXZJ...

Rant over.

And hey my brother, throet... Be safe, and keep on riding, not whining, man

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, quixoft said:

This guy has been around for a long time, He is very nice, When on the trail he yields all the time. His dog is well trained and gets out of the way. Ive had nothing but good encounters with him. Looking at that it seems like a dick move on you. NO reason for that at all. Why not just slow down and go wide to the left? his dog wasnt in your way , he wasnt in your way. 

You are on a populated , heavily used path , learn to share 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

This guy has been around for a long time, He is very nice, When on the trail he yields all the time. His dog is well trained and gets out of the way. Ive had nothing but good encounters with him. Looking at that it seems like a dick move on you. NO reason for that at all. Why not just slow down and go wide to the left? his dog wasnt in your way , he wasnt in your way. 

You are on a populated , heavily used path , learn to share 

The dog was further along the bridge and I agree, it was a dick move on my part. Probably shouldn't have done it.

But honestly, I think it's a dick move for anyone to have an off leash dog in any public park, regardless of how nice the person is or how well trained the dog is. There are leash laws for a reason. 

However, you are correct and I will control my temper a bit better next time. Been a rough week and it's only f'ing Tuesday.

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, quixoft said:

But honestly, I think it's a dick move for anyone to have an off leash dog in any public park, regardless of how nice the person is or how well trained the dog is. There are leash laws for a reason. 

100% agreed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, quixoft said:

...but I was irritated so I buzzed behind him off the bridge...

Not good man. What if he had heard your bike coming up quickly and stepped off to His right off the pavement... You would have maybe taken him out... And yourself too.

Is it worth it?

As Cafeend said... Just slow down man.

1 minute ago, RidingAgain said:

Not good man. What if he had heard your bike coming up quickly and stepped off to His right off the pavement... You would have maybe taken him out... And yourself too.

Is it worth it?

As Cafeend said... Just slow down man.

Y'all are right, I know. I let my temper get the best of me. Rough couple days and off leash dogs in public parks are a pet peeve of mind. And I'm a dog owner with a very well trained Border Collie.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Morris said:

I feel you but for that same reason I stayed off deception for a whole year, stuck to peddlers pass , picnic walnut , muleshoe , pacebend , reimers ranch, etc. I never felt I was suffering from lack of trails. I still visit those with my wife and have a blast. Different trails for different skills.   

Did you note the part where I said that my wife said not to bring her back to the trail she was annoyed with... That's code for having to be careful as to what trails I take her to.

With one caveat...

I took her to Brushy once and she rode the trail that I think is Deception... Starting from the soccer fields side... She had to walk some sections, but she thoroughly enjoyed the hill climbing. Surprised me... I wasn't going to take her on it but when she saw it she said she'd like to try. And this is one way riders build their skill level. Taking on challenges at their own pace, according to their own choice. And that's kind of what a B line can help with. Rather than just close off an entire trail, a B line may allow you to ride most of it, even if with some difficulty, and not be frustrated with having to walk some parts.

It's a balance that a trail builder needs to find... And some trail builders will lean one way, others will lean the other way... But hopefully not just take the position of saying screw low skill riders... "...NO B LINE FOR YOU!"

Edited by RidingAgain

14 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

Is THIS the "altar"? (not thumbnail below; hit play)

I know the feeling... Although this part of Brushy may not be so high in elevation... It does gas you, no doubt about it. And for me, this means the possibility of making errors. Which, when you're riding something unfamiliar, is increased.

Take your time... It ain't no race... Or a matter of skill level.