IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

14 minutes ago, quixoft said:

The dog was further along the bridge and I agree, it was a dick move on my part. Probably shouldn't have done it.

But honestly, I think it's a dick move for anyone to have an off leash dog in any public park, regardless of how nice the person is or how well trained the dog is. There are leash laws for a reason. 

However, you are correct and I will control my temper a bit better next time. Been a rough week and it's only f'ing Tuesday.

That guy has been roaming the trails for a few years now. He's not a concern anymore, but in the early days he liked to sit on ledges like Sponge Bob and I had a few close calls with him... it seems he's learned from it though. His dog hasn't caused any issues from the beginning, but that's not the norm with off-leash (and sometimes on-leash) dogs; I had ride a few weeks ago (posted about it March 3rd) where I had 2 close calls, one while launching off the Swag drop where a girl and her weimar were standing hidden off the side below, and the dog spooked and ran right under me as I dropped in at speed, then ran in front of my tire until I could come to a stop. Had it jumped out a second sooner it would have been ugly for both of us. The other was 2 dogs on leashes, and I was climbing; both dogs spooked and shot off in different directions, reached the end of their leashes, then ran the other way tangling with each other and the owner, lol. Luckily I was creeping along and stopped immediately. This was on the same ride, mind you...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Funny to look back at peddlers a year ago. Does anyone have a recent video of Peddlers Pass.

Saw your post right before going out to ride Peddlers today. Took my go pro and got a video for you. I'm pretty slow but I did beat my previous record by nearly a minute! Was 18:40 but today was 17:46 according to Strava. Felt good to beat my previous by that much. I still get pretty gassed about 2/3 of the way through the trail. You can tell I'm tired when I start looking down at my tire. Still pretty out of shape but getting there.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

That guy has been roaming the trails for a few years now.

I can't even remember when I started to see him out there? I think he's really hard of hearing as well, and his dog is very well trail educated.

I know, I know, keep the dog's on leash, and I will yell and complain as much as all of you, but I do have my exceptions, and this guy and dog are mine.

And no, it's not because I'm as old and hard of hearing as he is...kind of 🙂

4 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

I know, I know, keep the dog's on leash, and I will yell and complain as much as all of you, but I do have my exceptions, and this guy and dog are mine.

There should be zero exceptions to this rule.  Why do some people have to comply and not others?  This just leads to people seeing others' dogs roaming free, and next time they bring their dog (or dogs) to the park, they may decide to not leash their dogs as well.  Animals are unpredictable.  It's inconsiderate to other trail users to just let your animal wander around the trails in a busy, public park, I don't care how well-behaved they are.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

There should be zero exceptions to this rule.  Why do some people have to comply and not others?  This just leads to people seeing others' dogs roaming free, and next time they bring their dog (or dogs) to the park, they may decide to not leash their dogs as well.  Animals are unpredictable.  It's inconsiderate to other trail users to just let your animal wander around the trails in a busy, public park, I don't care how well-behaved they are.

I never let women call me a "no load", EXCEPT for my wife...

I woke up this am hating mankind, and now this entire thread starting with the Photoshop, to RA writing a novel long list of excuses, to now the off leash dog thread...

Wow, I'm now a better person

Note: I know someone is really holding back from commenting 🙂

• Like 6

Just now, Yosmithy said:

I woke up this am hating mankind, and now this entire thread starting with the Photoshop, to RA writing a novel long list of excuses, to now the off leash dog thread...

At least it's entertaining today.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Yosmithy said:

Come on now...

No excuses... Just setting dishonesty straight.

But maybe you can't handle the truth.

That aside...

Novels are good.

2 hours ago, RidingAgain said:

I can't say I was "...dismounting [my] bike on virtually every climb and baby feature...".

C'mon dude be honest with yourself. You dismounted your bike to get up a curb from the street! Pro tip - that 200mm stem might be holding you back from getting the front-wheel lift needed for technical riding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Yosmithy said:

Not much of a novel without pictures. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, throet said:

C'mon dude be honest with yourself. You dismounted your bike to get up a curb from the street! Pro tip - that 200mm stem might be holding you back from getting the front-wheel lift needed for technical riding. 

You surely are desperate to save face, throet... Even willing to go deeper into dishonesty. But I understand why.

Are you not better than this my brother?

37 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

You surely are desperate to save face, throet... Even willing to go deeper into dishonesty. But I understand why.

Are you not better than this my brother?

Save face? I've ridden with a good number of folks on this forum - so they know what I'm capable of doing. When we departed the YMCA parking area we crossed the street, and the sidewalk on the other side was under construction, forcing us to jump the curb vs. having one of those nice gradients to get onto the sidewalk. I distinctly remember looking back and seeing you off your bike climbing over the curb. How is that being dishonest? Remember that little step up on Peddlers from before they changed the direction of the trail? It's a drop now but used to be an elementary rock incline. I had let you go ahead of me on Peddlers to change things up a bit and you scolded me for not warning you about that feature. Seriously? Unfamiliarity shouldn't translate into an f'n guided tour of a beginner trail.  

Brotherhood? Let's talk about that. I've ridden countless hours with people who have made me a better rider at the expense of their own enjoyment. In all of those instances, I've expressed my gratitude for their willingness to make sacrifices on my behalf. You on the other hand? I can't even describe it. You seem to want to portray yourself as something you are not. Posting jump videos and asking for critiques? Are you seriously considering getting air? Please do it on that antiquated bike - you'll be my hero! If you are sincere about honesty / dishonesty, let's just get it out in the open. An Austin Mountain Biking Skills challenge for all to witness. Out!    

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gotdurt said:

That guy has been roaming the trails for a few years now. He's not a concern anymore, but in the early days he liked to sit on ledges like Sponge Bob and I had a few close calls with him... it seems he's learned from it though. His dog hasn't caused any issues from the beginning, but that's not the norm with off-leash (and sometimes on-leash) dogs; I had ride a few weeks ago (posted about it March 3rd) where I had 2 close calls, one while launching off the Swag drop where a girl and her weimar were standing hidden off the side below, and the dog spooked and ran right under me as I dropped in at speed, then ran in front of my tire until I could come to a stop. Had it jumped out a second sooner it would have been ugly for both of us. The other was 2 dogs on leashes, and I was climbing; both dogs spooked and shot off in different directions, reached the end of their leashes, then ran the other way tangling with each other and the owner, lol. Luckily I was creeping along and stopped immediately. This was on the same ride, mind you...

He still does this.  Ran up on him riding W-E a few months back and he was sitting on the ledge of sponge bob.  

12 hours ago, throet said:

Save face? I've ridden with a good number of folks on this forum - so they know what I'm capable of doing. When we departed the YMCA parking area we crossed the street, and the sidewalk on the other side was under construction, forcing us to jump the curb vs. having one of those nice gradients to get onto the sidewalk. I distinctly remember looking back and seeing you off your bike climbing over the curb. How is that being dishonest? Remember that little step up on Peddlers from before they changed the direction of the trail? It's a drop now but used to be an elementary rock incline. I had let you go ahead of me on Peddlers to change things up a bit and you scolded me for not warning you about that feature. Seriously? Unfamiliarity shouldn't translate into an f'n guided tour of a beginner trail.  

Brotherhood? Let's talk about that. I've ridden countless hours with people who have made me a better rider at the expense of their own enjoyment. In all of those instances, I've expressed my gratitude for their willingness to make sacrifices on my behalf. You on the other hand? I can't even describe it. You seem to want to portray yourself as something you are not. Posting jump videos and asking for critiques? Are you seriously considering getting air? Please do it on that antiquated bike - you'll be my hero! If you are sincere about honesty / dishonesty, let's just get it out in the open. An Austin Mountain Biking Skills challenge for all to witness. Out!    

Big man... I wasn't referring to your riding prowess... I was speaking to your poor dishonest disposition exposed in your comment about me.

As to what you "...distinctly remember..." about how I dealt with a curb... Having been riding for some 25 years, I've confronted many curbs and therefore have a whole lot of experience with them. And for sure, even if I stopped to deal with one, I certainly would not have dismounted "...off [my] bike climbing over the curb...". I would have simply stopped, put my feet on the ground while still straddling the bike, and lifted the bike up, as I've done many times in the past, and will do many times in the future, especially where crossing streets is concerned. So here we have you again being dishonest in your suggestion.

Try and get this clear... I don't have anything to prove to me, you, or anyone else about my bike riding skills. So if I feel like stopping and lifting my bike up on a street curb, I'll do exactly that. If it bothers you, that's your problem, not mine.

Thing is, your dishonesty is in your suggesting that I don't have the skill level to ride my bike over a curb... That's just you speaking ignorantly, and in doing so, speaking dishonestly.

As for this other stuff...

"...scolded me for not warning you about that feature..."... You must be off your meds my brother.

"...Unfamiliarity shouldn't translate into an f'n guided tour of a beginner trail."... I wasn't there for a guided tour... I was there to have fellowship with a brother in Christ. But it seems you've conveniently forgotten how exactly we came to have our ride together my brother.

And this...

"...Brotherhood? Let's talk about that. I've ridden countless hours with people who have made me a better rider at the expense of their own enjoyment. In all of those instances, I've expressed my gratitude for their willingness to make sacrifices on my behalf. You on the other hand? I can't even describe it. You seem to want to portray yourself as something you are not. Posting jump videos and asking for critiques? Are you seriously considering getting air? Please do it on that antiquated bike - you'll be my hero! If you are sincere about honesty / dishonesty, let's just get it out in the open. An Austin Mountain Biking Skills challenge for all to witness."

"...An Austin Mountain Biking Skills challenge for all to witness."... LOL... What are you... 13 years old?

"...my brother..." is related to you coming to me and telling me that you're a Christian. Remember that... You telling me how much you appreciated my speaking openly about my being a Christian?

"...In all of those instances, I've expressed my gratitude for their willingness to make sacrifices on my behalf."... But I never asked you to sacrifice anything for me... You asked me if I'd like to go ride with you. My brother — in Christ — it never once crossed my mind that there was some sort of sacrifice being made on your part to teach me how to ride better, as I never asked you to. The most I thought you might do is show me parts of the trail system that I wasn't familiar with, which you did, and for which I appreciated your time and effort and thanked you for. What more were you expecting... Should I have sent you a flower arrangement?

As for "...Posting jump videos and asking for critiques? Are you seriously considering getting air? Please do it on that antiquated bike - you'll be my hero!..."... I have no desire to be anyone's hero. But I certainly am thinking about trying to do higher jumps than I do now... And maybe I will, or maybe I won't... Who knows... But honestly... For you to get all emotionally twisted about a middle aged man riding an "...antiquated bike..." inquiring about what it takes to jump 2 or 3 foot jumps... Dude... Come on now... Surely there's more to your life.

"...Out!..."... Honestly... You should never have come in in the first place.

My brother... Holding to your offended feelings is surely poor form before the Lord. Perhaps one day, when you get over them we can have fellowship on how to take them captive so as not to let them rule you.

Stay safe my brother... And as I've said before... Try just riding instead of whining. 

Edited by RidingAgain
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

I would have simply stopped, put my feet on the ground while still straddling the bike, and lifted the bike up, as I've done many times in the past, and will do many times in the future, especially where crossing streets is concerned. So here we have you again being dishonest in your suggestion.

This is a distinction without a difference and certainly shouldn't be cause for accusing someone of dishonesty. 

• Like 1