IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

6 minutes ago, WLemke said:

I noticed this on Monday. At the time, there were a bunch of branches piled up on the B line. Have they already been removed?

The old b-line to the right (looking at the photo, facing east) is still blocked, but the newer, more open one to the left is clear.

30 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Anyone want to get together to concrete these in place? 

Or

Could a new sign be put in place? Size 120 font? 

I can help with whatever the solution needs to be.  I do have some concrete available if that is what's needed.

18 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

I have a bag of concrete to donate to the effort of restoration

I say we go even bigger. Or maybe longer. Make it more of a feature than a pile of rocks. But I'd be ok with just restoration as well

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes to making it bigger since there is a b-line

• Like 1

Concrete does not work well unless you can guard it for 2 - 3 weeks while it cures. Construction adhesive applied late in the day is usually cured enough be the next morning to discourage moving the rocks. But you have to make sure there is a large enough contact area between the rocks to get a good bond.

Where it has been a major problem I take a battery powered drill, 1/2" bit and 3/8" rebar. Once I have put it in that way I have never had the rocks moved.

I suggest taking 4 or 5 tubes of construction adhesive with you. I go thru a LOT more than I think I needed. Any leftovers I return to Home Depot for a refund.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1

Back on topic... WTF is this nonsense? We stopped blocking the B-line, yet that's not enough? My irritation has been renewed; every time I have to replace these rocks, I'm going to add more and build it bigger...
20200430_084416.thumb.jpg.26e50ea0f84fd1d5d50130f2fe8bd853.jpg

In other news. I surprised a runner in a spot where we couldn't see each other until it was too late. I had just come out of a descent and had started a short climb with some momentum, and he was coming down the hill around a bend; when he saw me he jumped, waving his hands with an animated look on his face, like a little girl that had seen a big spider... I laughed so hard I almost lost my balance...
Then I got a flat.
Lol, this made me smile. Thanks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, quixoft said:

Bad shifting times maybe? I'm waiting for mine to break as I always screw up my shift times and end up shifting under load going up hill and get big CLUNK! I expect it to break every time I do that. 

Well evidently I'm a fortune teller or @horncpa gave me some bad luck. Just ran through 1/4 Notch then down to Picnic. Broke my damn chain on the last climb of Picnic coming up from the creek about 100 yards from the end going east... Debated on fixing it but I was parked by the skate park and BCRT is mostly down hill so I just rode back with no chain and walked a bit.

On the plus side, this was my 2nd run through 1/4 Notch ever and I only had to walk it up a few times. Two of the hairpins that are super tight between trees. Not sure how anyone can maneuver through those trees unless they have a tiny clown bike. Also had to walk it a few feet on a couple of the longer climbs with multiple step ups. But it was much better than my first attempt through it where I felt like I walked half the damn trail.

Edited by quixoft
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Well evidently I'm a fortune teller or @horncpa gave me some bad luck. Just ran through 1/4 Notch then down to Picnic. Broke my damn chain on the last climb of Picnic coming up from the creek about 100 yards from the end going east... Debated on fixing it but I was parked by the skate park and BCRT is mostly down hill so I just rode back with no chain and walked a bit.

On the plus side, this was my 2nd run through 1/4 Notch ever and I only had to walk it up a few times. Two of the hairpins that are super tight between trees. Not sure how anyone can maneuver through those trees unless they have a tiny clown bike. Also had to walk it a few feet on a couple of the longer climbs with multiple step ups. But it was much better than my first attempt through it where I felt like I walked half the damn trail.

Sorry I jinxed you!  Those tight hair pins are tough.   I'm down to only having to walk two spots on Quarter Notch (from about 12 a few months ago).  I normally ride it E to W and just can't get up the 2 foot high pop up and then later in the ride is another pop up (that has a b line around it, *wink*).   I guess in theory I haven't made it up the one climb all the way that has that last stair step at the top, but I don't walk the formation on purpose.  The two ledges I'm not comfortable attempting yet.

34 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Keep working on it until you can ride all of 1/4 Notch. Sounds like you are getting close.

There is a trick to "walking" you handlebars thru tight trees. Guys on dirt bikes (motorcycles) can do it at 20 - 25 mph. Even very wide handle bars on MTB should be able to get thru at our speed.

Edited by cxagent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cxagent said:

Keep working on it until you can ride all of 1/4 Notch. Sounds like you are getting close.

There is a trick to "walking" you handlebars thru tight trees. Guys on dirt bikes (motorcycles) can do it at 20 - 25 mph. Even very wide handle bars on MTB should be able to get thru at our speed.

Thanks! The tight trees I'm sure I can do as there isn't anything really difficult about them. They just have surprised me the two times I've done the trail and I wasn't ready. As for the rest, I'm pretty confident I can do all of the features individually(well maybe not SpongeBob going up from W to E) if I stop and rest for a bit before each feature. I fail when I'm sucking wind! Regardless, I'm very close.

I do have one question, I'm on a hard tail and going up the higher steps, I have no problem getting the front wheel up and over and I have the power to get the back wheel over them; but after I get the front wheel up, the back wheel hits and knocks me off the pedals or my pedals clip the rock ledge and do the same. Any tips to correct that? It's too high for me to bunny hop up, I can only fully clear objects about 8 inches with both wheels and that's when I'm lucky. Only about 6 inches consistently(<insert joke here>) and that is on flat ground.

Edited by quixoft

How much more difficult is Double Down vs 1/4 Notch? Nothing on 1/4 scares me or anything and I want to try DD but I also don't want to end up walking 70% of it because I suck.

I think of it as two sections. The first starting at the end of 1/4 Notch and ending at the bailout near the bridge. I would start with that section first. Starting at the end of 1/4 Notch that first section of DD is mostly downhill. There are features you will walk but you’ll eventually find the right lines and conquer them one at a time. It’s a great trail for progression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, quixoft said:

How much more difficult is Double Down vs 1/4 Notch? Nothing on 1/4 scares me or anything and I want to try DD but I also don't want to end up walking 70% of it because I suck.

It’s definitely a solid bump in difficulty, longer/steeper climbs and bigger step ups, but I’d say go for it. There is a bailout at picnic if you aren’t enjoying it. 
I’m a relatively new rider myself, and I have to walk a number of features on DD, but I still enjoy it and feel like I get a little bit better each ride.

17 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Honestly, I don't think the difference is nearly what it used to be. 1/4 has seen seen so much more traffic and wear over the years that I'd say the challenges on DD are only "1/8 notch" harder than 1/4, just grouped together a tad tighter, with slightly steeper hills. There are obstacles on 1/4 and the Hollows (that intermediate eastern end of DD) that pretty much weren't even there 5-10 years ago. Western DD hasn't changed nearly as much as 1/4 though, probably due to much less traffic. If you are comfortable with 1/4, DD won't "scare" you, just make you breathe a little harder.

• Like 2

I do have one question, I'm on a hard tail and going up the higher steps, I have no problem getting the front wheel up and over and I have the power to get the back wheel over them; but after I get the front wheel up, the back wheel hits and knocks me off the pedals or my pedals clip the rock ledge and do the same. Any tips to correct that? It's too high for me to bunny hop up, I can only fully clear objects about 8 inches with both wheels and that's when I'm lucky. Only about 6 inches consistently() and that is on flat ground.    

It's more an unweight the saddle and pedal through motion. Sometimes you need to shift weight to nose of saddle or just unweight saddle and thrust hips forward a bit. It all depends on the ledge height and your speed really. So get front wheel on top and then unweight and pedal through it. Might need hip thrust to propel bike forward if ledge is big enough or you going slow enough. If you wanna stay seated shift weight to nose of saddle.  Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

It's more an unweighted the saddle and pedal through motion. Sometimes you need to shift weight to nose of saddle or just unweighted saddle and thrust hips forward a bit. It all depends on the ledge height and your speed really.

I wasn't 100% sure I understood the OP's question.  I'm thinking of one specific step-up on 1/4 on which you get front then rear wheel up but immediately you have another step, or rather your front wheel is in a dimple.  For lack of a better description, I use what looks like what trials riders do here.  I basically almost come to a stop but I do one last full bike push to keep going forward.

I've been riding MTB for 25 years and Brushy for probably more than 5 years but I still haven't gotten the nerve to ride down sponge bob.  

Regarding how much harder DD is than 1/4, it has more climbing and some visually-more-challenging spots, but as I've been learning in the last year or so and @circuitbreaker has been encouraging me try more stuff with some coaching, I've found that most of the intimidation is from how something looks.  To me Sponge Bob looks intimidating.  I'll ride it at some point when I'm feeling confident and I'm sure I'll think "what was the big deal" but I'm totally cool with walking something (I practice CX dismount here if I want to do a decent time on 1/4 E2W) rather than get injured.

I'm trying to think of where there are difficult hairpins on 1/4.  I can't think of any that are more difficult than some of the tight turns on DD.

• Like 3

Riding 1/4 this afternoon. Was pushing it to the max as there was a guy behind me who started at the same time and was actually keeping up. In the first twisty tree covered section i rounded one of the tight turns and clipped my shoulder on a tree. Managed to keep the bike up and was rewarded with a new PR of 16 mins flat. Worth it I guess. Shoulder will not be happy tomorrow. 🤷‍♂️

shoulder.jpg

• Like 1