IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

It's crazy how many big bass there are on that creek!  I'm always surprised I don't see more anglers out there.

Yeah, pretty sure I'm bringing the collapsable fishing pole on my next ride out there.

On 5/3/2020 at 5:33 PM, Shinerider said:

Well, I TRIED to string together a 50 miler from my house (other end of Little Elm - the road YMCA is on) thru Brushy and points beyond without repeating too much and without too much gravel/pavement.  Failed.  Brushy itself only has ~30 miles if you don't repeat too much.  So, in order:

From my house

YMCA trail at top->Snail->Dave's ditch->Rimjob->Deception backwards->over the damn and down backside->gumdrop->Walshtrail to Suburban->Christchurch section->Boat->Apartments section of Suburban to Redhorn->East side of Suburban (including offshoot loop trail->back thru Walshtrail->gumdrop->white rabbit->up and over the dam->Peddlers->mulligan->Picnic->rimjob->dave's ditch.  That totaled ~30.  I tacked on some rogue trails that have popped up on the other side of 183 around the lake back there beside the apartment complex then back to the house.  Grand total=43.6.  Heat was getting bad at 2pm, so I pulled the plug.

Oh well, on a suggestion, will have to roll in Wilco park trails north of 1431, so that should total 50.  Next time.

Coulda done Deception E—->W on way home to get you really close to 50. 

@gotdurt that rock is called the Cyrus rock named after the first known guy to ride it. I rode it once in my life and likely never will again. At this point I’m just happy to get through the Cradle just before it and to navigate the trees...much less awkwardly hammer to prep for that thing. 

On 5/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, gotdurt said:

You will find that different features will require different techniques, based on your speed/momentum at the approach, if there are compound obstacles (ie: multiple ledges in a row), etc. The videos above are a good start, and after you get the hang of different methods, you'll find yourself mixing them up a bit as-needed...

To relate it specifically to Brushy, here are a few features you'll recognize (I didn't do any slow-mo's, but the speed adjustment in YT's settings works well):

This is "Sponge Bob" and "the rock with no name" (seriously, it doesn't have a name, that I'm aware of) on a single speed. This is pretty much "Punching", albeit less exaggerated movement compared to the how-tos...

On "Squeeze Play" I start like a punch, then I let the back tire bump it's way up with a pedal stroke:

This is "EBD" (at the beginning); I pedal all the way through it, and I tend to use a little bigger gear than most would expect:

This "Huck Finn" back in 2013... note that it is a bit smaller and doesn't have the smaller ledge above it yet... it takes more effort now. (it's at 0:45 if the video doesn't jump straight there)

As for bunny hopping, it's really only useful if you have something to clear at speed, like a big log or something.

When I was a kid, my buddies and I noticed that no matter what we were bunny hopping over, whether it was 6" or 24", we always only cleared it by "just enough" (maybe an inch or 2), no matter how hard we tried... it's like our brain and body were tuned only for the obstacle at hand; no more, no less.  It was a strange phenomenon that still holds up for me to this day.

Those are awesome videos with the different perspectives!  Thanks! 

15 hours ago, Morealice said:

@gotdurt that rock is called the Cyrus rock named after the first known guy to ride it. I rode it once in my life and likely never will again. At this point I’m just happy to get through the Cradle just before it and to navigate the trees...much less awkwardly hammer to prep for that thing. 

I cleared Cyrus the first time I tried it, after seeing Gotdurt or somebody else's video. Then I cleared it a couple of other times on both my 29er and 27.5. On my fourth and last try though, I was going too fast and stayed too far right, resulting in Cyrus launching me OTB into the brush pile that was there. Managed to come away with just a few scrapes. Will probably try it again eventually but haven't been in a hurry to.     

• Haha 1

I cleared Cyrus the first time I tried it, after seeing Gotdurt or somebody else's video. Then I cleared it a couple of other times on both my 29er and 27.5. On my fourth and last try though, I was going too fast and stayed too far right, resulting in Cyrus launching me OTB into the brush pile that was there. Managed to come away with just a few scrapes. Will probably try it again eventually but haven't been in a hurry to.     
Like any ledge type feature on Deception it has gotten a wee bit harder these last few years as the dirt compacts around it and it gets a lil taller

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, throet said:

I just don’t typically have the gas. It takes all I have to ride from the crib out East, do all the trails (except SN) and then get home. The last few times past that rock I’m just glad to have any kind of flow at all. 

I REALLY need to re-route that eroded fall line left turn a couple turns after Cyrus. Next rainy day off I think I’m gonna do it. I don’t want it to be something I keep saying I’ll do but never get around to. Firstblood, you got any McLeods er whut?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Morealice said:

I just don’t typically have the gas. It takes all I have to ride from the crib out East, do all the trails (except SN) and then get home. The last few times past that rock I’m just glad to have any kind of flow at all. 

I REALLY need to re-route that eroded fall line left turn a couple turns after Cyrus. Next rainy day off I think I’m gonna do it. I don’t want it to be something I keep saying I’ll do but never get around to. Firstblood, you got any McLeods er whut?

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way I'm about 10 mi in by the time I've started riding 1/4 if I've hit Candyland, Gnar and Peddlers so a little fatigued and not fully  on my game by the time DD comes up.

• Like 1