IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

New Bike Day was yesterday.  First outing today on Peddlers and Picnic. Full suspension is going to take some getting used to.  I did pretty much tie(4 seconds shy) my personal best running 17:50. Considering I felt all over the place and completely off riding it, that's not too bad.

Rough stuff was WAY easier,  I struggled in the corners. Gotta figure out cornering with the full suspension,  it's a lot different than my hard tail. The few short downhill and drop sections on Picnic are much easier.

All in all pretty happy! 

20200507_115603.jpg

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, quixoft said:

New Bike Day was yesterday.  First outing today on Peddlers and Picnic. Full suspension is going to take some getting used to.  I did pretty much tie(4 seconds shy) my personal best running 17:50. Considering I felt all over the place and completely off riding it, that's not too bad.

Rough stuff was WAY easier,  I struggled in the corners. Gotta figure out cornering with the full suspension,  it's a lot different than my hard tail. The few short downhill and drop sections on Picnic are much easier.

All in all pretty happy! 

20200507_115603.jpg

Great looking bike! You're going to love all the new technology that bad boy has compared to your old hard tail. It too took me a few rides to get used to how "alive" a full suspension feels to a hard tail.

59 minutes ago, quixoft said:

Considering I felt all over the place and completely off riding it, that's not too bad.

How wide are those bars compared to what you were riding? Also is the stem significantly shorter? That could be making a bigger difference than FS vs HT. I regularly bounce between my downcountry bike with 740mm bars and 60mm stem and my all-mountain bike with 780mm bars and 50mm stem, and I often struggle to hold a line with those wider bars and shorter stem. 

• Like 2

Full suspension is going to take some getting used to.

What setting did you have the rear shock on.  You can set it to the Firm setting for Peddlers and it won't be much different than your HT.

Edited by chuckt
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, gotdurt said:

What's missing from this picture? (hint: on west Picnic, facing east)

20200506_090351.thumb.jpg.9ad357bd006f564994177931ef4ba943.jpg

Yep, some jackass removed the first cedar bump-jump. This is getting ridiculous... Might be able to move it back, but I don't know if it will be as stable as it was before.

I saw that yesterday and just shook my head 😞

2 hours ago, throet said:

How wide are those bars compared to what you were riding? Also is the stem significantly shorter? That could be making a bigger difference than FS vs HT. I regularly bounce between my downcountry bike with 740mm bars and 60mm stem and my all-mountain bike with 780mm bars and 50mm stem, and I often struggle to hold a line with those wider bars and shorter stem. 

800mm on the new bike vs 720mm on the old but I already love the wider bars. I'm tall and have very broad shoulders and long arms; the 800mm width is so much more comfortable and I feel like have much finer control of the front end. Just not 100% acclimated to it yet. 

2 hours ago, chuckt said:

What setting did you have the rear shock on.  You can set it to the Firm setting for Peddlers and it won't be much different than your HT.

Had it set to the middle setting. Not open, not firm. It's already far more comfortable and agile than my previous bike. I need to play around with the shock settings. A buddy helped me set the sag yesterday and I set all other settings right in the middle to start. I need to get my own shock pump though.

Most of my issues are technique. I come from a motorcycle road racing background and pretty much everything is the opposite for turning. I'm used to hanging off bikes to the inside of turns to give you more bike lean angle. It's been a long time since I really pushed a bike underneath me a la dirt style so I'm still adjusting to that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quixoft said:

800mm on the new bike vs 720mm on the old but I already love the wider bars. I'm tall and have very broad shoulders and long arms; the 800mm width is so much more comfortable and I feel like have much finer control of the front end. Just not 100% acclimated to it yet. 

One thing that you need to be extra cautious with is hitting your bars on trees until you get used to that extra 40 mm.  It's amazing how your mind can calibrate itself to know exactly where the end of your 720 mm bars are and will steer to just skim past trees.  Adding just a tiny bit to the bar width and that calibration is off and you'll smack a tree you thought was a mile away.  Don't ask me how I know this. 

• Like 1

Can we build a wall....ride?

On a serious note, in the grand scheme of things, is that one feature worth the battle?  People don't want to walk on the hike and bike path because there are too many people to get their 6' spacing.  This leads them off the trail and onto the sweet, sweet single track that we all know and love.  They see a log crossing the trail and think that they will do everyone a favor by moving it.  They'd do the same thing to ANY feature that was over the trail and impeded their progress.  put concrete and barbed wire on it and things will just escalate.  A lot of these people have nothing better to do right now than complain to the city about 'dangerous' features on the 'hiking' trails that could injury someone just walking along.  There are a lot of us but there are a LOT more of them so I propose a different path.

Let's add some fun features on trails that are further from the concrete.  You're going to find people on all the trails but the further you get from the concrete, the less likely you're going to find a hiker that would ever consider modifying a trail.  My $0.02.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

On a serious note, in the grand scheme of things, is that one feature worth the battle? 

I'd say yes; if they're so bold as to remove it, they'll also eventually remove the others, as well as modify other features... and IMO popping off of those logs is one of the highlights of my warm-up or return (depending on whether I start at 183 or the sport park). I'm just tired of people jacking with shit that they shouldn't be jacking with. If we let them keep doing it without making a statement, then they'll think it's okay and continue to change other things to their own liking. If they return to find the log replaced, anchored with a couple of rebar stakes, maybe they'll get the message...

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tree Magnet said:

On a serious note, in the grand scheme of things, is that one feature worth the battle?  People don't want to...

I actually think if it’s a more obvious man-made/modified feature then people will be less inclined to touch it. The log referenced is a slightly different situation since it’s not obvious to the non-rider that it may be used by mtn bikers. 

There are so many old farts & families out there with kids on tiny bikes, I think they are just sanitizing for the “flow”. If so, there are other candidates on their list, so making a statement over this one makes since. We’re probably gonna need a new version of the sign for the beginner level trail features to let them know the rules.

On a serious note, in the grand scheme of things, is that one feature worth the battle?  People don't want to walk on the hike and bike path because there are too many people to get their 6' spacing.  This leads them off the trail and onto the sweet, sweet single track that we all know and love.  They see a log crossing the trail and think that they will do everyone a favor by moving it.  They'd do the same thing to ANY feature that was over the trail and impeded their progress.  put concrete and barbed wire on it and things will just escalate.  A lot of these people have nothing better to do right now than complain to the city about 'dangerous' features on the 'hiking' trails that could injury someone just walking along.  There are a lot of us but there are a LOT more of them so I propose a different path.
Let's add some fun features on trails that are further from the concrete.  You're going to find people on all the trails but the further you get from the concrete, the less likely you're going to find a hiker that would ever consider modifying a trail.  My $0.02.
Soooo Technically speaking. That line is a designated BLUE line with Black features. We had to designate it that way for the county to keep the drops. In no way is any of that line so much a Blue lime to really call it that
So any sort of tech feature on it added to the totality of it being a blue line and made in IN THEORY harder to ride as a precursor to getting on the ridge with the drops and IN THEORY making beginner riders not just happen to stroll up on some drops. Yes I know its REALISTIC impact is minimal... but that is the reasoning behind wanting to rebuild those features. And in my mind I'd like to REALLY make it a bit more technical but with flow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

Soooo Technically speaking. That line is a designated BLUE line with Black features. We had to designate it that way for the county to keep the drops. In no way is any of that line so much a Blue lime to really call it that
So any sort of tech feature on it added to the totality of it being a blue line and made in IN THEORY harder to ride as a precursor to getting on the ridge with the drops and IN THEORY making beginner riders not just happen to stroll up on some drops. Yes I know its REALISTIC impact is minimal... but that is the reasoning behind wanting to rebuild those features. And in my mind I'd like to REALLY make it a bit more technical but with flow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I love Picnic for the drops, bump jumps, and the 2 spots you can ride through a tree. It's the one trail I will never not ride when I am at Brushy.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, First-Blood said:

We had to designate it that way for the county

What exactly is the agreement with the county? Perhaps add some signage on the features on trails that tend to be heavily trafficked by walkers like Picnic? 

Something like:

DO NOT ALTER TRAIL BY REMOVING LOG, ROCK, OR OTHER SINGLE TRACK FEATURES!