IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

30 minutes ago, quixoft said:

What exactly is the agreement with the county? Perhaps add some signage on the features on trails that tend to be heavily trafficked by walkers like Picnic? 

Something like:

DO NOT ALTER TRAIL BY REMOVING LOG, ROCK, OR OTHER SINGLE TRACK FEATURES!

This has been done at some features. Hasn’t stopped people. 

29 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

So signage, continually  restoring trails that have been altered, speaking about it on websites, speaking about it to people on the trails... None seem to be helping alleviate the problems. 

I wonder if in Bentonville they have the same problem... Or are all the trail users there, mountain bikers?

Edited by RidingAgain

10 minutes ago, RidingAgain said:

So signage, continually  restoring trails that have been altered, speaking about it on websites, speaking about it to people on the trails... None seem to be helping alleviate the problems. 

The only solution I have seen consistently work is providing a bypass and posting a sign pointing to it "Feature Bypass -->".   When I made bypasses for features, I made them slightly more inconvenient than the main line so the users bypassing the feature were not faster when they skipped the feature.  If it's perceived as too long of a bypass, people will keep tearing down the feature.  Also, I made sure that the lines of site for both the main trail and the bypass where they reconnected allowed for safe merging. YMMV

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

The only solution I have seen consistently work is providing a bypass and posting a sign pointing to it "Feature Bypass -->".   

This I see as something that would work.  It would be obvious to all that the perceived obstacle on the trail was actually a 'feature' and was there on purpose.  It then gives them an alternate, equally enjoyable route to bypass said feature and carry on their merry way.  They might even realize that the trails they are walking on are multi-use trails and not all users like the same things.  I don't see this as a "B" line because it's not a line for riders at all.  It's a bypass for hikers.

Edited by Tree Magnet

To us, we see a log that is laying across a trail,, or a "pile" of random rocks between trees and we ride it and leave it. 

Now if my mom was walking that same trail sees it as a hazard. She might move it 

If the features looked more legit, like what has been done at Walnut instead of looking like a random log or like my kid stacked rocks then maybe the hikers wouldnt move that stuff

This is a good point.  I have to believe that people are generally just trying to be helpful and not trying to destroy something they don't understand.  If it's obvious that it's there on purpose, they will probably just leave it alone.  I guess my original point was that, in my opinion, we shouldn't go to war with other trail users unless we have more to gain than lose.

• Like 1

This morning I came face to face with a bare female arse squatting on Picnic, apparently she couldn't hold it long enough to get off the trail (I'm guessing she had been running on the paved trail and thought no one would be on Picnic). Luckily, it wasn't an offensive arse to see, to say the least...

Later I almost had a head-on collision with an older gent in a cowboy hat on an e-bike...

Times are getting weird.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, WhoAmI said:

The only solution I have seen consistently work is providing a bypass and posting a sign pointing to it "Feature Bypass -->".   When I made bypasses for features, I made them slightly more inconvenient than the main line so the users bypassing the feature were not faster when they skipped the feature.  If it's perceived as too long of a bypass, people will keep tearing down the feature.  Also, I made sure that the lines of site for both the main trail and the bypass where they reconnected allowed for safe merging. YMMV

This is good... And leans towards the thought that urban trail building must include consideration of all who may use it... Within reason obviously. And when I say all who will use it... I mean considering trail needs from their POV. Which is what I think you're saying, WhoAmI.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

The reason it has not stopped people is that people believe that it shouldn't be there. They view it as an obstacle and they believe that by moving it they are actually helping things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

The reason it has not stopped people is that people believe that it shouldn't be there. They view it as an obstacle and they believe that by moving it they are actually helping things.

I agree and had more or less already stated this on the previous page. 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, gotdurt said:

Back on topic... WTF is this nonsense? We stopped blocking the B-line, yet that's not enough? My irritation has been renewed; every time I have to replace these rocks, I'm going to add more and build it bigger...

20200430_084416.jpg

In other news. I surprised a runner in a spot where we couldn't see each other until it was too late. I had just come out of a descent and had started a short climb with some momentum, and he was coming down the hill around a bend; when he saw me he jumped, waving his hands with an animated look on his face, like a little girl that had seen a big spider... I laughed so hard I almost lost my balance...

Then I got a flat.

To the person (that was probably just trying to help out) that put ths feature back together...please check it before leaving or if your not an experienced trail builder just leave it others that know what they're doing. Soon as I put my front wheel on this feature today it completely collapsed and sent me OTB.  After laying on the ground for several minutes i fixed it as best i could considering i jacked up my hand. (P.s. not saying it was gotdurt)

Edited by HoneyBadger
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

To the person (that was probably just trying to help out) that put ths feature back together...please check it before leaving or if your not an experienced trail builder just leave it others that know what they're doing. Soon as I put my front wheel on this feature today it completely collapsed and sent me OTB.  After laying on the ground for several minutes i fixed it as best i could considering i jacked up my hand. (P.s. not saying it was gotdurt)

I did rebuild it at that time, and it was well engineered (I test and retest by both riding and jumping around on it to make sure nothing will move), but that was a couple of weeks ago and it has changed several times since. I went over it this morning and it was a bit scattered, I didn't go back to mess with it this time though.

5 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

I did rebuild it at that time, and it was well engineered (I test and retest by both riding and jumping around on it to make sure nothing will move), but that was a couple of weeks ago and it has changed several times since. I went over it this morning and it was a bit scattered, I didn't go back to mess with it this time though.

I was riding it W to E, how about you?

10 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

I was riding it W to E, how about you?

E>W, around 9. I also noticed that there seemed to be some new bigger, loose rocks on the descent after it (toward RDB), almost as if someone chucked some of the rocks from Snaggle down the trail...

At the quick downhill section on Picnic heading west right where the 1/4 notch bailout hits it, would it be ok to weedeat all that grass and trim some branches so that isn't such a blind corner when you whip around to your left?  I don't mind helping but also don't want to upset trail stewards.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the quick downhill section on Picnic heading west right where the 1/4 notch bailout hits it, would it be ok to weedeat all that grass and trim some branches so that isn't such a blind corner when you whip around to your left?  I don't mind helping but also don't want to upset trail stewards.  
Sight line improvements and grass cuttings as well as overgrown branches being cut are ALWAYS ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

This feature has been a sh!t show for as long as I've been riding brushy. You never know what kind of condition it's in and heading E-W you can't see what the other side looks like until you're going over it. Many times I've gotten onto it only to find out there's a hole to catch your wheel from missing rocks or like @HoneyBadger everything is loose and sends you OTB. I like the feature I just wish there was a way to keep it intact so it's not a surprise every time you approach it. I don't think it's ever been the same twice when I ride it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chief said:

This feature has been a sh!t show for as long as I've been riding brushy. You never know what kind of condition it's in and heading E-W you can't see what the other side looks like until you're going over it. Many times I've gotten onto it only to find out there's a hole to catch your wheel from missing rocks or like @HoneyBadger everything is loose and sends you OTB. I like the feature I just wish there was a way to keep it intact so it's not a surprise every time you approach it. I don't think it's ever been the same twice when I ride it.

I'm going to construction glue it in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2