IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

12 hours ago, SuperSlow said:

The dirt was awesome today, but the sun and humidity was not.  Glad I got out but wow that was rough.

Yeah. I was out from 4 to 5 yesterday and it was pretty miserable. 97 degress with 70% humidity. Ran Peddlers, Mulligan, and Picnic up and back before I gave up. I drank all 2.5 liters of water in my camelback in 45 minutes.

Edited by quixoft

8 hours ago, quixoft said:

Yeah. I was out from 4 to 5 yesterday and it was pretty miserable. 97 degress with 70% humidity. Ran Peddlers, Mulligan, and Picnic up and back before I gave up. I drank all 2.5 liters of water in my camelback in 45 minutes.

With the rain coming I thought it would be a good idea to get in a ride today but like an idiot  waited until noon.  On the plus side the trails were almost empty I hit Candyland, Peddlers, 1/4, DD, Snail, Picnic and only saw one other solo rider on DD and a couple parents w/ their children on Peddlers and Picnic.

• Like 2

Rode at 9am and noon today. Noon was better, hotter, but way less humid, 2 beers in. Rode where humidity tends to hang around through morning. Short downpour was great for about a second. Afternoon heat was tough, but body could breath. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Anyone been by since @GreenMTBrider report this AM? Wondering if the sun we got dried out enough to roll. 

I haven’t rechecked because shortly after I posted we got more rain that came through. 

*Update* Okay so I just got back from pounding the pavement. I checked out parts of 1/4 Notch and Picnic while I was out and areas that are not in direct sun are still really soft and muddy. Ran into a mtn biker that said trails were good to go but his tires said otherwise. I’d wait on riding. 

Edited by GreenMTBrider
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I haven’t rechecked because shortly after I posted we got more rain that came through. 

*Update* Okay so I just got back from pounding the pavement. I checked out parts of 1/4 Notch and Picnic while I was out and areas that are not in direct sun are still really soft and muddy. Ran into a mtn biker that said trails were good to go but his tires said otherwise. I’d wait on riding. 

Just rode all of double down and it’s 100%. Checked the exit of snail and it is dry also. 

• Like 1

I just checked my normal spots to check as well. I’m gonna ride tomorrow morning. If Picnic too damp I’ll turn around, etc. 

When I check, I check East entrance to Deception and an EMS access point (aka Satellite) which is the entrance to the Hollows (less sunny area on “double down”)

as always, still a judgment call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horncpa said:

Quarter Notch is definitely not ready.  I just spent almost two hours working on drainage.   Still majority soft at crossings.    

Thanks for the heads up. At least the weather will be nice enough for a lame ass cx spin.

edit: and thanks a bunch for doing that drainage work!

Edited by Morealice

4 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Picnic g2g

1/4 Notch g2g

Double Down g2g

Rim g2g

Still some soft spots at low areas, but majority of trail is good and if we waited for those areas to dry after a rain we'll never be riding. Didn't check anything else since I have to work, but there you go.

Awesome news.  I would not have guessed 1/4 would be good.  Hopefully the draining the puddles helped yesterday.

@GreenMTBrider or others.  I am trying to become more helpful in trail maintenance out at Brushy.  Maybe someone could just meet me up there one day just to review the "how tos" on flattening ruts or improving drainage.  Yesterday, I just tried to dig some trenches below each area that water was puddling at trail crossings on 1/4 and Picnic.  Hope I did it right.  Also cut some face slappers and trimmed the bottom of the drop in on Picnic at 1/4 notch bailout entrance to Picnic.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

You da man. In these times of no official trail steward you guys all rock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks.  MTB has changed my life the last 6 months and the Brushy/Surburban Ninja trails are a large reason for that.  Just trying to give back.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

@horncpaWhat tool(s) are you using for the ruts? I’d invest in a McLeod or mattock if you don’t have one already. Also, I’m out of town next week so I’m leaving you in charge of trail condition reporting lol 

Well yesterday was a shovel 🙂   I'll have to look in to a McLeod or mattock.  I'll admit, I have no idea what those are.

I'd be happy to help on trail condition reporting.  Might just need to remind me.   C'mon good weather!!!

4 minutes ago, quixoft said:

A McLeod is a hoe/rake combo and a Mattock is a type of pick axe. Grandpa was a farmer.

I just looked up both of those.  I have something similar all the Mattock is slightly bent from pulling out a tree stump.

Had limited time to check trails due to work but...

1/4 Notch - g2g
Double Down - g2g 
Picnic - g2g but wet low spots remain. Surface moisture remains but no rutting and very minimal dirt pickup on tires. 

Overall trails are not primo but getting there. This afternoon will be a better time to ride compared to this morning for sure. Peddlers likely needs more time this morning to dry based on the condition Picnic was in. 

If you head out and hit trails I didn’t list let us know how they’re looking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Had limited time to check trails due to work but...

1/4 Notch - g2g
Double Down - g2g 
Picnic - g2g but wet low spots remain. Surface moisture remains but no rutting and very minimal dirt pickup on tires. 

Overall trails are not primo but getting there. This afternoon will be a better time to ride compared to this morning for sure. Peddlers likely needs more time this morning to dry based on the condition Picnic was in. 

If you head out and hit trails I didn’t list let us know how they’re looking!

I scouted out the west end of DD this morning and it definitely could use a full day of drying out. I wasn't doing any damage to the trail, but most of the rocky sections and roots were quite slick. Dirt sections were damp and leaving tire tracks but not rutting. I'd say give it a go late afternoon.