IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, rugger said:

False flats are a bitch, eh?

Speaking of which,  for shits and giggles and change of pace I swapped from my clipless to flats yesterday ,, Rode up EBD  as normal,, I missed the clipless. Even that climb up the culvert next to the toll road to the east of Snail that goes to the top sucked. Normally no issues. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Speaking of which,  for shits and giggles and change of pace I swapped from my clipless to flats yesterday ,, Rode up EBD  as normal,, I missed the clipless. Even that climb up the culvert next to the toll road to the east of Snail that goes to the top sucked. Normally no issues. 

Give it time and adjust your technique. I rode clipless for about 25 years, then experimented with flats on my FS bike, while keeping clipless on my singlspeed (because cheating makes SS easier). I almost switched back a couple of times in the beginning because of all of my long-ingrained lazy habits, but after a few months and some adjusting I realized I reached a point where could do everything on my flats that could on clipless, and then some, so I switched them on the SS too. That was about 5 years ago.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, throet said:

Another GLORIOUS morning to be out on the trail! 

I rode yesterday and today (I know, right?!), and I was sweating a lot more at the end of my ride today even though I started earlier... the humidity is creeping back in...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone out there using back protection while riding? I took a spill on Wednesday and rammed my back into the nub of a branch that was cut off,  it was mostly flush but had a bit of a point.  Knocked  the father, son and holy ghost out of me!!  Put a hole in me too. I'm riding a Camelback LR these days (was using Camelback MULE for 25+ years) and I got hit just above the main pack.  Maybe I'm just getting wussier in my advancing age but it gave me pause of "what could have happened"

Screenshot_20200612-142306.png

3 hours ago, gotdurt said:

I rode yesterday and today (I know, right?!), and I was sweating a lot more at the end of my ride today even though I started earlier... the humidity is creeping back in...

Hgh

6 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

I don't wear back protection but I always wear my Camelbak while riding for that same reason.  Doesn't protect the entire back like you mentioned, but has definitely saved my ass a few times.

Get better man, that looks like it hurt like a beast.

Thanks amigo..I hit up Redhorn afterwards and fortunately no beer came spewing out so just a deep bruise I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

I don't wear back protection but I always wear my Camelbak while riding for that same reason.  Doesn't protect the entire back like you mentioned, but has definitely saved my ass a few times.

Get better man, that looks like it hurt like a beast.

If it saved your ass you might be wearing it wrong.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, McRibs said:

Has anyone investigated the feasibility of constructing an irrigation system on the singletrack along the Brushy Creek Regional Trail? (God damn it is DRY AF)

LOL Just got back from a ride.  Weather was perfect this morning but some of the turns were pretty crumbly.

Has anyone investigated the feasibility of constructing an irrigation system on the singletrack along the Brushy Creek Regional Trail? (God damn it is DRY AF)

I'm sure the home owners wouldn't mind us hooking up some hoses and running them down

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, McRibs said:

Oh, it can get even dryer.  I bet we've had rain in past 20 days....wait til its been 2-3 months since measurable rain.

-CJB

For those who have not ridden BC or even alot of the trails around..
One thing I've loved about BC is that it is in constant flux. Ever changing. As the weather changes and we enter the hot and dry months the trail just births out rocks. The cooler and wetter months tend to see debris absorbed back into trail.
Today's ride is not tomorrows ride. Ever changing and deceiving

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

On 6/12/2020 at 11:55 AM, gotdurt said:

Damn right it is. Wednesday morning was next level amazing (39% humidity at 7am) then yesterday was ooooh, 80% at 7am and today at 6pm was hot but nice. We’re entering 6pm roll out territory for me during the week and then 7am humidity suffer fests on the weekends. 

I was in Cloudcroft, NM riding the dirt bike (rode mtb in Ruidoso one day) a couple weeks ago. The humidity during the day was a whopping 5%. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Morealice said:

Damn right it is. Wednesday morning was next level amazing (39% humidity at 7am) then yesterday was ooooh, 80% at 7am and today at 6pm was hot but nice. We’re entering 6pm roll out territory for me during the week and then 7am humidity suffer fests on the weekends. 

I was in Cloudcroft, NM riding the dirt bike (rode mtb in Ruidoso one day) a couple weeks ago. The humidity during the day was a whopping 5%. 

How was Ruidoso? Just driving through, that area seems like it would be ripe for some killer trails, but all I've been able to find are flow-type trails. Some time on Google and Youtube reveals that there used to be a couple of good ones, but a forest fire wiped them out years ago.

6 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

Suburban Ninja has sprinklers! (parts of it anyway)

It's so weird to see those sprinkler heads pretty deep into the woods back there.  I guess maybe the apartment complex thought there was going to be grass back there at some point?

1 hour ago, gotdurt said:

How was Ruidoso? Just driving through, that area seems like it would be ripe for some killer trails, but all I've been able to find are flow-type trails. Some time on Google and Youtube reveals that there used to be a couple of good ones, but a forest fire wiped them out years ago.

I liked Grindstone Lake. Typical mountainous XC riding. Was last there 3 years ago. 27 mile route with about 3000' climbing. I'd do it again for sure. Lake to swim in afterwards.

2 hours ago, gotdurt said:

Ruidoso itself is a pretty cool place. The riding is ok. Grindstone Lake is a pretty ride, and there is a lot of fun, fast flow and the climbing is manageable and friendly. (The disc golf course at Grindstone Lake is AWESOME if you’re into that). 

There is also the Cedar Creek trail system there that is pretty sweet as well. It’s all worth riding if you want to do XC stuff. 

The Ski Apache gondola and downhill is so-so. I did it once and don’t really need to do it again, personally. 

I haven’t ever tried to see if there are some non-Trailforks trails around there, but I’d have to imagine there are. 

In my opinion, once you ride the Trailforks trails a couple times the riding is just ok. Being out of this humid summer butthole of a place, however, is always amazing. 

Edited by Morealice

3 hours ago, olddbrider said:

It's so weird to see those sprinkler heads pretty deep into the woods back there.  I guess maybe the apartment complex thought there was going to be grass back there at some point?

I see those in the woods and wonder what dumb ass mis-read a blue print