IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

16 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Pretty sure there is not a no Schweinhaxe restriction, the only problem would be fitting into the airline seat after 8 weeks of German food and beer.

We had that on the menu at The Bakehouse Restaurant. Does this look good?

1014592_596152310418732_143542713_o.jpg?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, attaboy said:

Are the devices expected to last lifetime or do they eventually have to be replaced?

They won't actually give you a life span because they can't. This is the literature though on lifespan. So while I'm sure there is eventually wear an tear, it seems minimal after 10 million movement cycles in a lab env. I had it done in 2017 and my doctor had folks at the with 10 years of experience with the implants and no issues. I'm sure I can expect some arthritis when I get older but I would expect that anyway.

• Before being implanted in people, Mobi-C was tested in a lab. One industry standard test looked at implant wear. The wear test measured Mobi-C’s medical grade polyethylene insert for changes to size and weight after movement. To mimic the natural motion of the neck, the test used the combined movements of:

• Side bending (lateral bend).
        • Forward-to-back bending (flexion-extension).
        • Turning left-to-right (rotation).

Every Mobi-C tested in the lab completed 10 million movement cycles, all demonstrating low wear rates. During this testing there were:

• No mechanical failures.
        • No significant damage to the polyethylene insert or the metal plates.
        • No major biomechanical issues.

Mobi-C was then implanted and studied in patients. The testing data and two years of patient clinical data were reviewed by the FDA as part of the Mobi-C approval process in the U.S.

Zimmer Biomet cannot predict the Mobi-C life expectancy for each patient. However, Mobi-C has been implanted over 70,000 times, in the U.S. since 2006 and in Europe since 2004.

•  
Edited by quixoft

23 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

Happen to come across this person today. It was a lady and she was proud to point out that the sign is there because of her and tell me what happened. And its really nothing dramatic. It was in 2017 and she was on her first night ride with a group riding W to E, as she went down the first step there at the top her handle bars hit a branch and knocked her off the bike and she fell and landed on a stump breaking her femur. 

To me that sounds dramatic! Thanks for the backstory though. Sounds like the trail has been responsible for a fair amount of carnage!

2 hours ago, attaboy said:

Are the devices expected to last lifetime or do they eventually have to be replaced?

My wife's L4-L5 disc replacement was good for about 10 years.  They ended up fusing together on their own anyway.  Once they fused the pain went away but then the pressure increased on the adjacent discs.  She was in a trial and this particular implant did not get accepted, though for her it worked wonders for 10 years.

6 hours ago, quixoft said:

So I have some experience with this. TLDR go get looked at by Randall Dryer at Central Texas Spine Institute.

Interesting.  My wife also used Randall Dryer at the Central TX Spine Institute for her C6-7 fusion.  This was 13 yrs ago and she was 37 and it went very well.  It was a tradtional disc fusion but IMMEDIATELY she felt relief.  I have a few 'funny' stories that Dryer told me when I tried to challenge his diagnosis initially.  But whatever, we sing the praises of her surgery everywhere we can.  At the time she was on the randomized list for the disc replacement experimental option, but obviously didn't get it.  Problem now is that she was rear ended in an accident about 8-10 yrs ago and is beginning to feel the ramifications of that incident.  We are strongly suspecting we may be visiting Dryer again at some point.  I'm very pleased to hear about the current advancements past out story.

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, throet said:

Yes indeed. Took a pretty easy ride given the heat, and the light breezes made it better than just tolerable. 

I also partook of the hero conditions, but I found it pretty shittily humid and miserable. Still a good ride though! I’m missing those cold YMCA water fountains. 😓 

Edited by Morealice
Partook, not patroned
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, gotdurt said:

FYI, I had to replace the PicnicX log again last night, and of course Snaggle had been knocked down again.... I'm really getting irritated with these idiots.

If it is daily, maybe get a group to watch for a day or two, taking 2 hour shifts. Alternately I have a game camera with cell access that you can use to monitor the area.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:43 PM, gotdurt said:

FYI, I had to replace the PicnicX log again last night, and of course Snaggle had been knocked down again.... I'm really getting irritated with these idiots.

I've been noticing that somebody is placing rocks at the bottom of Dave's Glitch again, probably in an effort to aid with a straight line going thru W-E. Problem is those rocks slow my momentum coming from E-W. From E-W straight thru works and the exposed root at the bottom actually helped in getting the front tire to come up the other side. The best line thru there going W-E is far left IMO, sort of an out and in swooping motion through the ditch. Otherwise that same exposed root that helps you coming from the other direction can serve to wedge your wheel against the opposing rock face. I haven't moved those rocks yet but wondering if anybody else has noticed this.  

37 minutes ago, throet said:

I've been noticing that somebody is placing rocks at the bottom of Dave's Glitch again, probably in an effort to aid with a straight line going thru W-E. Problem is those rocks slow my momentum coming from E-W. From E-W straight thru works and the exposed root at the bottom actually helped in getting the front tire to come up the other side. The best line thru there going W-E is far left IMO, sort of an out and in swooping motion through the ditch. Otherwise that same exposed root that helps you coming from the other direction can serve to wedge your wheel against the opposing rock face. I haven't moved those rocks yet but wondering if anybody else has noticed this.  

They’re not gluing rocks again are they? Battled that for awhile. Finally they stopped when I installed a rope and put up a sign. 

• Like 1

I seem to roll over those rocks and hear them scatter behind me a lot lately. I keep thinking they should be gone the next time I come though, but then there they are again.

I used to just hang a left and do the rim instead hitting that thing. I think I have it figured out now though. It takes a different technique than the rest of them and can definitely jack you up if you hit wrong. I usually don’t go all the way left, more partially over the root I think.

• Like 1

You're making shit up, G-outs never had their own names. Dave's Glitch was the name of each of the trails on the either side of Dave's Ditch. Dave's Glitch EAST is the whole trail between the ditch and Rim Job, Dave's Glitch WEST was the whole trail that was on the west side, the one that was closed. Combined they were AKA Campfire Loop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rugger said:

You're making shit up, G-outs never had their own names. Dave's Glitch was the name of each of the trails on the either side of Dave's Ditch. Dave's Glitch EAST is the whole trail between the ditch and Rim Job, Dave's Glitch WEST was the whole trail that was on the west side, the one that was closed. Combined they were AKA Campfire Loop.

Been riding brushy three years and on the forum like 2. Still posts like this confuse me enough to laugh 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, rugger said:

Good to know. That one deserves a name. Took me years to master it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, throet said:

Good to know. That one deserves a name. Took me years to master it. 

Timing that flow. It's a mind fuck for sure. The fact that it can change from one ride to the next make it's more of a mind fuck...you're thinking, "what's down there today to grab my wheel and fuck me over the bars?" It's alive. 

But seriously, we've name a lot of shit, but only ONE feature on Rim/Dave's was named.  @Morealice dubbed "The Gate", which no longer exists because it's in the closed section...it was right at the very top of Rim climb before you turn right...the small gap in the ridge, you can still see The Gate just beyond the cedar fence. 

Edited by rugger
  • Like 3

On 7/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, rugger said:

And a fun fucking loop she was. Still miss that bitch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...