IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

Every time I start feeling comfortable at Walnut and like a badass I go out to double down and realize I still suck

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Someone once said Deception (O.G name for entire trail) is only ¹/⁴ NOTCH harder than Walnut. But dont feel bad I think he was just jelly. Double Down has gotten harder over the years as well due to erosion and compaction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

Someone once said Deception (O.G name for entire trail) is only ¹/⁴ NOTCH harder than Walnut. But dont feel bad I think he was just jelly. Double Down has gotten harder over the years as well due to erosion and compaction.

Deception is badass, and certainly a LOT better/harder than Walnut.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheX said:

Deception is badass, and certainly a LOT better/harder than Walnut.

The 2 sections of Double Down are what I end up riding most on my evening rides when I only have a short amount of time to be out.  They are closest to my house as I approach from the west, but are also the trail sections I like the most.   Just personal preference, but then again, I also 'like' Thumper, not that I am any good at riding it or have been In a while.  Just must be a case of self torture tendencies.  🙂

• Like 3

The one time I followed somebody on Double Down that knew the trail better, I've only done it around 4 times, I did fairly well only had to get off bike couple times and did that big Boulder drop to root jump up..i think thats on dd.. we were going east to west.. the next time out by myself I went west to east and it seemed way harder

So is thumper harder than dd...where is thumper?

44 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

The one time I followed somebody on Double Down that knew the trail better, I've only done it around 4 times, I did fairly well only had to get off bike couple times and did that big Boulder drop to root jump up..i think thats on dd.. we were going east to west.. the next time out by myself I went west to east and it seemed way harder

So is thumper harder than dd...where is thumper?

Thumper isn’t harder than double down in a technical sense. I’d say it’s easier in terms of tech. It’s just has a lot more elevation change and isn’t maintained to the level DD is. It gets your heart “thumping”. Frankly, it’s a love it or hate it trail. 

Here is the TF link to Thumper. Don’t ride this trail alone though. There is no guarantee anyone will be around to find you if you are injured. Also, it can be easy to get lost in Thumper. General rule is follow the white signs. Even then you may find yourself turned around!

Edited by WLemke

22 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Agreed on DD and Deception in general getting harder over the years.  I STARTED mountain biking with 0 experience by riding nothing but Deception.  I think I crashed over 100 times the first year (Chief happened upon me right after waking up from hitting my head on a crash on Spongebob).  Since Deception is where I learned, I'm able to go pretty much anywhere and ride without much problem. 

I wonder how big that guy's notches are to say it's only a 1/4 notch harder than Walnut.  Rampage must be a full notch harder than Walnut!

• Like 1

way back 2012ish I could ride Deception (1/4 notch) on my Cross\gravel grinder bike.  there's no way now, either i'm just too soft now or there've been a lot of changes over the years
For sure changes. Ledges that were 6 inches are like 18 inches. Crevices between rocks that had small rocks and dirt are just deeper crevices ..etc....

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

Thumper isn’t harder than double down in a technical sense. I’d say it’s easier in terms of tech. It’s just has a lot more elevation change and isn’t maintained to the level DD is. It gets your heart “thumping”. Frankly, it’s a love it or hate it trail. 

Here is the TF link to Thumper. Don’t ride this trail alone though. There is no guarantee anyone will be around to find you if you are injured. Also, it can be easy to get lost in Thumper. General rule is follow the white signs. Even then you may find yourself turned around!

I will also follow up with a link to AustinBike's website.  http://www.austinbike.com/index.php/austin/11-thumper  

the whole thing does seem off-camber....  

1 hour ago, RonSurly said:

way back 2012ish I could ride Deception (1/4 notch) on my Cross\gravel grinder bike.  there's no way now, either i'm just too soft now or there've been a lot of changes over the years

Both DD and 1/4 Notch are fun on ChamoisHagar. EtoW everything on 1/4 Notch is cleanable. WtoE Sponge Bob is tough because you can't slam into it the same way you can with a proper trail bike.  DD is actually more fun than 1/4 Notch on that bike because it's all or nothing with its tech. And you just have to go in knowing that you're going to dab a few more times than usual. 

The biggest problem is keeping your tires from getting beat to shit. 

image.thumb.png.58620ab7121ffab5ae2ad4191881e774.png

Edited by Barry
  • Like 3

Both DD and 1/4 Notch are fun on ChamoisHagar. EtoW everything on 1/4 Notch is cleanable. WtoE Sponge Bob is tough because you can't slam into it the same way you can with a proper trail bike.  DD is actually more fun than 1/4 Notch on that bike because it's all or nothing with its tech. And you just have to go in knowing that you're going to dab a few more times than usual. 
The biggest problem is keeping your tires from getting beat to shit. 
image.thumb.png.58620ab7121ffab5ae2ad4191881e774.png

Ol' Barry....all legs and dick

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Agreed on DD and Deception in general getting harder over the years.  I STARTED mountain biking with 0 experience by riding nothing but Deception.  I think I crashed over 100 times the first year (Chief happened upon me right after waking up from hitting my head on a crash on Spongebob).  Since Deception is where I learned, I'm able to go pretty much anywhere and ride without much problem. 

I wonder how big that guy's notches are to say it's only a 1/4 notch harder than Walnut.  Rampage must be a full notch harder than Walnut!

Dwayne is a one eyed stud on a bike.

He used to lead group rides at City Park and teach people how to clear obstacles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Anyone hit up SN today?
Curious how it is there for later on

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SN is rideable, minimal dirt pickup. 

1/4 Notch - g2g
Picnic - a little soft in spots

Peddlers is too soft 

Was told that trails near Champion are g2g (Gnargasm, Snow White)

Trails should be pretty decent tomorrow.