IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

I would wager to guess that many of the more casual MTBers just don’t know riding wet trails is damaging.

This. 

Although to be honest riding in the mud is a hell of a lot of fun.  I won't do it on publicly maintained trails but I have a friend with some acreage with a creek out in Jonestown with his own personal ATV trails. He and I have been riding out there this week in the sloppy mud and it's been awesome. 

The ATV ruts make for some cool small features when it dries that makes dry riding fun too. 

Edited by quixoft
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, horncpa said:

Sigh, I just don't understand people's insistence on riding wet trails.  You KNOW the large majority know it is bad for the trails.   Just pure selfishness.  

They do that because their time is limited. "This is my one slot to ride, I have the kids this weekend..."

I have encountered this in the past. You see it a lot with people that want to ride walnut on Saturday after it poured on Friday. 

11 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Trails are drying quickly with the sun that we received. 

1/4 Notch, Deception, Rim, Picnic, Snow White are good to go. Chain is up on Peddlers. 

I rode Deception West yesterday after work, and it was great.  Obviously only a couple of spots of this trail are actually made of dirt, and even those areas were fine to ride.  The only problem was that somebody must've been barbecuing in their backyard - made me so hungry that I contemplated cutting my ride short every time the trail looped back near the neighborhood.  

I still can't believe my luck that a trail this good exists so close to where I live such that I can go for short rides on weekdays.  Up until 5 or 6 years ago, I used to count down the days until Saturdays so that I can ride BCGB or City Park (I would occasionally ride Thumper and Walnut during the week since they are relatively close, but I don't completely enjoy riding them for very different reasons).

Edited by loop_out
  • Like 2

Same. I actually bought my house here solely because of the proximity to the trails. 

I’d actually argue that there are more than a couple spots that have high soil content at the surface. I know because I’ve gone out there and smoothed out ruts in those spots in the past. Bill has done the same more recently. Generally areas tend to smooth out over time. Man these trails have changed quite a bit due to erosion over time. 

Glad we’re finally getting away from summer temps. This morning is awesome, I just wish I wasn’t stuck working. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, loop_out said:

I still can't believe my luck that a trail this good exists so close to where I live such that I can go for short rides on weekdays.

23 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Glad we’re finally getting away from summer temps.

I bought my house in Red Oaks in 2006 before the BC trails existed. I worked remote for 3 years between 2011-2014 in the NW but we kept our house. When I returned to the home full time is when I discovered those trails had been built and I've been enjoying them ever since. Takes me 5 minutes to get to the YMCA from my house. Goin' out for a nooner today in fact, which is now possible with the lower temps! 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GreenMTBrider said:

I’d actually argue that there are more than a couple spots that have high soil content at the surface. I know because I’ve gone out there and smoothed out ruts in those spots in the past. Bill has done the same more recently. Generally areas tend to smooth out over time. Man these trails have changed quite a bit due to erosion over time. 

I agree and was exaggerating about the soil content.  

Yes- the trails have changed significantly as I recall vividly the first time I discovered them.  My parents who walk the BCRT would tell me that they would see people on bikes like mine pop out randomly from the woods.  One Saturday on the way home from a long ride on BCGB back trails, I decided to investigate, thinking it can't be much.  I was so happy with what I was seeing that I ignored the fact it was hot, and I had no water and was starting to cramp, to keep exploring.  The trail kept going and was getting better and better.  I was also pretty sure I was going to be on the most ridiculous episode of "I Shouldn't Be Alive" where I nearly die in a well populated suburban area.  At that point, I think the trail ended near EBD.          

• Like 1

Does anyone else irrationally fear wooden structure drops/features?  

I made it out to Snail Trail for the first time in a year or two and spent a lot more time looking at rather than riding all the new stuff.  I think it will be a long while before I try the biggest drop out there, but managed to hit the other two, only after convincing myself that they are no worse than taking some of the drops on picnic at a good pace.  Just something about riding off a wooden structure makes me super nervous.  I couldn't even bring myself to hit the B line on the biggest drop, which is really just steep, but relatively straight forward, roll down a ramp.

I don't normally seek out stuff like this, but man that's some fun and addicting stuff out there.  In another thread, I was musing about getting a FS bike to replace my HT to gain a bit more comfort and rear traction for technical climbs, but I now have whole another perspective on the need for rear suspension.    

I did the two newer ones recently after a lot of thought. They just feel so tall as you approach them. You can’t see the landing until you are past the point of no return. I felt very accomplished!   The huge rampage drop on the far left is just too much for me yet.  I do like the straight launch of the ramps much better than rough terrain 

56FEEB90-40FD-4A6C-A2EB-28C1A5090788.jpeg

Edited by Morris
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, jcarneytx said:

Strave REALLY needs a way to remove duplicate segments. Doesn't even have to be for everyone, just be able to not ever see them in your own rides.  Yeah, there's the hide/unhide button, but it just moves it down the list. 

Capture.PNG

Thats funny, I've never picked any of the 5.0 segments and only picked up the single lap segment a handful of times. I mostly just pick up the 4.0 and sometimes don't pick it up which really burns me when I put in a hard effort and the segment doesn't show up! But you get what you pay for and I use the free version and just my phone🤪

I can't even express how nice it has been these past couple of weeks to just head out at a moment's notice when I get a break in meetings / workload. Rode this morning between 10 and 11:30 and the trails and temps were amazing. Even came across a few other riders, which is odd for a Thu morning. 

@Cafeend @Chief @Morris Is it time to restart the old Fri morning BC Ride Call? I'm down for 7:30am tomorrow if anybody else is! 

1 hour ago, throet said:

I can't even express how nice it has been these past couple of weeks to just head out at a moment's notice when I get a break in meetings / workload. Rode this morning between 10 and 11:30 and the trails and temps were amazing. Even came across a few other riders, which is odd for a Thu morning. 

@Cafeend @Chief @Morris Is it time to restart the old Fri morning BC Ride Call? I'm down for 7:30am tomorrow if anybody else is! 

@throet I’m down. Meet up location?