IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

If it was the black EB jersey and the rider was on a light blue bike, that was me. 

Yeah, a surprising amount of people out today. My company gave us the day off to vote (jokes on them, I voted early). I wonder if a lot of people had the day off as well. 

2 hours ago, MikeWL said:

Is the steep drop in to Picnic by the bridge closed for good?  Looks like the roots have gotten torn up and some heavy erosion happening. 

If it Is the one I’m thinking of. It was a rogue line and never should have been open anyway. To many ways to make bad collisions

• Like 3

Just now, 4fun said:

If it Is the one I’m thinking of. It was a rogue line and never should have been open anyway. To many ways to make bad collisions

I agree - I wish people wouldn't use that line.  Even without that line, that areas gets crowded bikers, hikers, and dogs.  When I ride though that intersection, I find myself looking towards that line to see if anyone is dropping in rather than looking ahead.

I make it a point to block when I can. Twice I nearly got nailed
Last week.. three new guys..one on a E bike came down it same time as me.
EBike guy went by me as I stopped. I blocked the other two dudes and nicely explained their sin.
They seemed cool and said they understood. But yea bad shit will happen at some point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

I make it a point to block when I can. Twice I nearly got nailed
Last week.. three new guys..one on a E bike came down it same time as me.
EBike guy went by me as I stopped. I blocked the other two dudes and nicely explained their sin.
They seemed cool and said they understood. But yea bad shit will happen at some point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wonder if I am thinking of same place.  Is this the entrance to Picnic on the left hand side of the bridge if traveling West to East on concrete trail.

5 minutes ago, horncpa said:

I wonder if I am thinking of same place.  Is this the entrance to Picnic on the left hand side of the bridge if traveling West to East on concrete trail.

Yeah it's the line to your left when you drop into Picnic. It's directly across the H&B from the bailout. When I first saw it I thought this is a bad idea. 

While we're on the subject, anyone else seeing lots of guys walking their bikes UP the various Snail runs?  Weekends are the worst with people trying to session an individual feature.  No really close calls, but it sucks to have your run ruined because you have to slow down to avoid somebody blocking the trail.  I try to educate nicely, but they just keep doing it.

• Like 1

While we're on the subject, anyone else seeing lots of guys walking their bikes UP the various Snail runs?  Weekends are the worst with people trying to session an individual feature.  No really close calls, but it sucks to have your run ruined because you have to slow down to avoid somebody blocking the trail.  I try to educate nicely, but they just keep doing it.
I'm good with people pushing back up to session. But that comes with a huge caveat of stay the f**k off the line.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looove that beginner friendly line out at Snail. Usually I just do the climb up to the top of Snail, do the loop at the top, then back down the same line I came up, but the beginner one is badass for wussies like me who are really only into keeping wheels on the ground anymore. Saw the biggggg F’ing drop out there. Y’all are crazy AF. Just hitting this wood feature scared the crap out of me the first time. It gave me that feeling I haven’t had in quite some time since the old days of hitting things like Basket for the first time ever at night. Thanks for putting in a line for dweebs like me. 

254DF857-A7BC-4A3E-84E6-C852DD6C5C5F.jpeg

• Like 3

On 11/7/2020 at 6:55 AM, Morealice said:

Looove that beginner friendly line out at Snail. Usually I just do the climb up to the top of Snail, do the loop at the top, then back down the same line I came up, but the beginner one is badass for wussies like me who are really only into keeping wheels on the ground anymore. Saw the biggggg F’ing drop out there. Y’all are crazy AF. Just hitting this wood feature scared the crap out of me the first time. It gave me that feeling I haven’t had in quite some time since the old days of hitting things like Basket for the first time ever at night. Thanks for putting in a line for dweebs like me. 

254DF857-A7BC-4A3E-84E6-C852DD6C5C5F.jpeg

I've only been to Snail once and got very confused on the best paths for practicing beginner / intermediate friendly features.  Care to elaborate?  Is there a "safe-ish" way down the feature lines that allows for bypassing the gnarly stuff, that still allows for hitting moderate features and keeps one off the big lines and out of the way of anyone that might be going full send?

I've only been to Snail once and got very confused on the best paths for practicing beginner / intermediate friendly features.  Care to elaborate?  Is there a "safe-ish" way down the feature lines that allows for bypassing the gnarly stuff, that still allows for hitting moderate features and keeps one off the big lines and out of the way of anyone that might be going full send?

Starting at 2:19 is what I would call the intermediate line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

To be honest...NO. there is no clear divided lines for beg , intermediate and advanced. Although some new stuff is under work (slowly) to make it more that way.
For now you just pick a line and have fun. Session what you want and be mindful of others that may be on the trail.

43 minutes ago, pjs32000 said:

If you had prior experience with Snail I'd tell you that the older stuff is more beginner friendly. But since you've only been there once that wouldn't be much help. The best I can say is that from the starting area (near the wood ramp at the top of the climb) there are 4 kind of distinct paths that lead you back down to the hike and bike trail.

Looking downhill, the one farthest to the right takes you over that big wood tabletop feature pictures in the Morealice post above. That feature is completely rollable, so I'd call that beg/int level. Immediately after that, there's a wood berm that directs you sharply to the right. Follow that and you'll come to the line that's been there the longest (I think). It basically splits off into 2 drops - the drop on the left is more beginner friendly in my opinion, the one on the right is a little bigger, has a slightly sketchier landing area, and feels like there's more of a chance of clipping a tree. Once you hit either of those drops, you're at the bottom of the gully and there are a couple of options as you make your way back to the hike and bike trail but none of them are particularly gnarly (still super fun, but not scary for most intermediate riders I would think).

Back at the top, the 2nd line from the right is going to take you through a little chunk and then basically meet up with the line I just described if you veer to the right just behind the wood berm. It leads into the drops I already mentioned. This is also a beginner friendly line. If you were to continue in more of a straight line at that wood berm, you'd come to the wooden drop that shoots you into the step up on the other side of the gully and then to the drop along the ridge closest to 183. This is not a beginner friendly line.

Back at the top, the 3rd line from the right also starts out with a little chunk, then has a wooden ramp that isn't too scary, followed by a wood/dirt roller/jump, followed by a semi-technical downhill section that leads to the bottom of the gully. I'd call this more intermediate just because of the wood ramp and the somewhat technical/steep section.

The left-most line from the top is actually the way most people get up to the top, but part way down is where some new trail veers off to the right and leads to the steep ramp and huge drop. I'd call both of these features advanced with the drop being a big step up in difficulty/consequences.

I didn't mention anything to the left of the climbing trail, although I am seeing trail being built there. I'm not sure what the plans are for those trails. I rode them a few weeks ago, but they were very fresh...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

To be honest...NO. there is no clear divided lines for beg , intermediate and advanced. Although some new stuff is under work (slowly) to make it more that way.
For now you just pick a line and have fun. Session what you want and be mindful of others that may be on the trail.

For those familiar with the lines it might be easier to explain to new people now that the lines are numbered 1-5.  I was just there briefly this weekend so I couldn’t rate them in difficulty, but that certain could help. 

Thank you to put up the signs and marked the official climbing trail to hopefully keep people off the main lines. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Speaking of climbing trails,, We can still go up the culvert to the fence to the top?

image.png.5a6ae25c8ec42097aab0424b42f4a5aa.png

I’ll let one of the builders answer for sure, but I think the new climbing trail was built in anticipation of the addition of the frontage road in the future. Not to say it will be in that area of your red line, but since there is potential of that line being impacted, they were thinking ahead. 

• Like 2

For those familiar with the lines it might be easier to explain to new people now that the lines are numbered 1-5.  I was just there briefly this weekend so I couldn’t rate them in difficulty, but that certain could help. 

Thank you to put up the signs and marked the official climbing trail to hopefully keep people off the main lines. 
It's actually 1-6 but 6 isn't rideable yet. And 5 needs a ton of work. 4 is basically gonna be the beginner DH line. A new climb route all the way up is cut just needs some ground work and more signs. In future it will have more permanent blockades to help keep people on correct path without crossing over into wrong way traffic. For now it is just cut branches.

• Like 3

This morning @WLemke and I were riding DD E-to-W and discovered that the step down on the right side of Truth or Dare had been dismantled. That is incredibly uncool given that I've been riding that same line for 5 years with absolutely zero variation. Luckily Wlemke sensed something was amiss and stopped before dropping down. Somebody removed that very large flat rock that provided the initial step down. @GreenMTBrider we were able to pull that flat rock partially back but it's going to take some work to get it back the way it was originally. Happy to help but we may need a pry bar to get that thing in place.    

• Like 1