IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

21 hours ago, GreenMTBrider said:

Rode Gandalf yesterday for the first time plus the new trail. What a blast! I’ll have to say, SN may be my favorite trail in this area. 

I agree. I've gotten a bit bored with a bunch of work for too little reward that 1/4 and DD come with, not to mention the potential for injury. SN is fun because you can maintain speed easier than on the other local trails around here. Don't get me wrong I still like to ride 1/4 and DD just not as much as I used to. Is Gandolf the line on the ridge near Katy lane?

24 minutes ago, Chief said:

I agree. I've gotten a bit bored with a bunch of work for too little reward that 1/4 and DD come with, not to mention the potential for injury. SN is fun because you can maintain speed easier than on the other local trails around here. Don't get me wrong I still like to ride 1/4 and DD just not as much as I used to. Is Gandolf the line on the ridge near Katy lane?

Yes Sir it is. He is expanding it as well.  Also if you go down the main trail FROM Katy,, go left through the old cattle gate, you will run into the other new stuff at the end. Ive found it runs much faster and nicer that direction , seems alot less uphill that way 

• Like 2

Should we change over this group to a dirt roadie thread? Asking since I can't ride right now has nothing to do with the above comments.

Jkjk i totally have gotten out of the desire to grind EVERY trail. When you go to parks across country or trail systems like they have in B ville it really makes you loose interest in the constant grind for minor pay offs.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Yes Sir it is. He is expanding it as well.  Also if you go down the main trail FROM Katy,, go left through the old cattle gate, you will run into the other new stuff at the end. Ive found it runs much faster and nicer that direction , seems alot less uphill that way 

Good shit for sure

5 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Should we change over this group to a dirt roadie thread? Asking since I can't ride right now has nothing to do with the above comments.

Jkjk i totally have gotten out of the desire to grind EVERY trail. When you go to parks across country or trail systems like they have in B ville it really makes you loose interest in the constant grind for minor pay offs.

Maybe you need to switch to a One Wheel? But I feel you man, Coming back to town from BVille seemed anti climatic for sure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, First-Blood said:

I grew up riding in the Huntsville and Houston area, and had never ridden outside of that area, aside from a trip to Palo Duro Canyon. When I graduated college I took a couple of weeks and drove through CO, UT and AZ, riding Salida, Moab, Flagstaff, etc... when I got back, I literally parked my bike and didn't ride it again until I moved to AZ a year later; perspective is everything. When my wife wanted to move back to Texas to start our family, I said okay, but it has to be west of I35... Even here, my riding slowed again, and any riding I do here is just maintenance for trips to the real trails.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe you need to switch to a One Wheel? But I feel you man, Coming back to town from BVille seemed anti climatic for sure. 

I had a one wheel for a few months. Very fun just not as fun as the ole two wheel machine by any accord . I also couldn't see myself using it as often as needed to make the

price tag worth it. It was alot fun running down to the liquor store on it though doing 15 mph [emoji2957]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are the trails dry enough to ride this morning?

Seriously though, which one of you dickheads got a bike for christmas?!

I'm a dickhead but didn't get a bike. I did get alot of socks and a set of brake pads right before the rain. Now I am wondering how they caused this. Happy Effing New Yr

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m starting to feel the same way. I alternate Deception and SN days to save my body some. I’m moving to the mountains somewhere in 5.5 years and I can’t wait to have long climbs and smoother overall tread (at least what I’ve ridden in CO and NM). 

We’re all getting older. It’s harder on our bodies and the risk becomes not worth it. I mean I used to look forward to hitting certain features and barreling down them. Now....ehhhhh. I skip stuff and walk stuff and I’m fine with it. 

These Centex trails will beat a person down over time. It’s been 20 years for me now and I’m pretty much over it... but for a few more years it’s what I got. I still think Deception has value in handling and pure challenge factor, but those 30+ mile SN days where I avoid Deception are much kinder on the body, but more boring (to me). 

Overall, I’m glad to have all these options really. I think that’s the overarching thing for me. 

Edited by Morealice
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Morealice said:

I can’t wait to have long climbs and smoother overall tread (at least what I’ve ridden in CO and NM). 

That's what I was used to when I got here. I still haven't learned how to do this stuff right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheX said:

That's what I was used to when I got here. I still haven't learned how to do this stuff right.

Yeah I don’t have experience riding all over the place but I HAVE to believe if you can ride the shit around Austin from a technical standpoint you can probably ride stuff anywhere. Just my guess. To me, THAT is the perceived value. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Morealice said:

Yeah I don’t have experience riding all over the place but I HAVE to believe if you can ride the shit around Austin from a technical standpoint you can probably ride stuff anywhere. Just my guess. To me, THAT is the perceived value. 

I have to agree. 

9 hours ago, Morealice said:

I remember a group of us Austin riders laughing out loud once on a ride in Big Bend Ranch State Park during the Desert Fest. Someone from Houston was whining, "The trails are so ROCKY here." 😄

Edited by The Tip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Morealice said:

It's definitely excellent tech training around here... story: 

The most tech I was exposed to growing up in east TX was tree roots and trials-ish riding in town (using stairs, retaining walls, benches, etc)... in fact, BMX street riding probably helped me more than anything. Later, Moving from there to AZ was a whole new world, tech-wise (okay, from any perspective, really). There was a trail on South Mountain called Holbert that was regarded locally as the ultimate tech descent, and I tried it once on my '96 Giant hardtail with a "long-travel" 3" fork... It was a slow moving, dismount-and-dabbing trials-style experiment more than anything, and I didn't return.

I took a few guys from Mojo to ride SoMo back in '16, and I thought, "hey, I should take them down Holbert, that would be entertaining..." Taking a group through there with all the hikers that day was not ideal, but I did discover that, 16 years later, I might actually be able to not only conquer Holbert, but with some momentum and flow, even...

I returned to SoMo later that year with @Ganderson; Greg killed his foot on one of our runs down National and took the next day off, so he offered to shuttle me on a trail of my choice, which was a no-brainer; Holbert. I was on the longest, lowest, slackest FS bike I've ever owned, which I actually expected to make the big boulders and and tight switchbacks more difficult, but instead, it was one of my best rides ever! It was even a busy Sunday with hikers, but they were all cool, and the comments and looks on their faces were priceless...

That was one of the most fun rides I've ever had, and I owe it to my time on the techy Austin trails.

The first 2 minutes are a nice flowy warm up, then things start getting steep and super chunky... some of the comments are captioned:

Edited by gotdurt
OCD
  • Like 6

Yeah I am hoping to ride tomorrow afternoon at the warmest part of the day fingers crossed. I guess today I’ll just have to hang out with my kids. Ugh. (jk)

Give me a time estimate of when you will be burning circles in my front yard again and I'll be ready with refreshments

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gotdurt said:

It's definitely excellent tech training around here... story: 

The most tech I was exposed to growing up in east TX was tree roots and trials-ish riding in town (using stairs, retaining walls, benches, etc)... in fact, BMX street riding probably helped me more than anything. Later, Moving from there to AZ was a whole new world, tech-wise (okay, from any perspective, really). There was a trail on South Mountain called Holbert that was regarded locally as the ultimate tech descent, and I tried it once on my '96 Giant hardtail with a "long-travel" 3" fork... It was a slow moving, dismount-and-dabbing trials-style experiment more than anything, and I didn't return.

I took a few guys from Mojo to ride SoMo back in '16, and I thought, "hey, I should take them down Holbert, that would be entertaining..." Taking a group through there with all the hikers that day was not ideal, but I did discover that, 16 years later, I might actually be able to not only conquer Holbert, but with some momentum and flow, even...

I returned to SoMo later that year with @Ganderson; Greg killed his foot on one of our runs down National and took the next day off, so he offered to shuttle me on a trail of my choice, which was a no-brainer; Holbert. I was on the longest, lowest, slackest FS bike I've ever owned, which I actually expected to make the big boulders and and tight switchbacks more difficult, but instead, it was one of my best rides ever! It was even a busy Sunday with hikers, but they were all cool, and the comments and looks on their faces were priceless...

That was one of the most fun rides I've ever had, and I owe it to my time on the techy Austin trails.

The first 2 minutes are a nice flowy warm up, then things start getting steep and super chunky... some of the comments are captioned:

I still SMH at this video 🙂

• Haha 1