IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

7 hours ago, gotdurt said:

It's definitely excellent tech training around here... story: 

The most tech I was exposed to growing up in east TX was tree roots and trials-ish riding in town (using stairs, retaining walls, benches, etc)... in fact, BMX street riding probably helped me more than anything. Later, Moving from there to AZ was a whole new world, tech-wise (okay, from any perspective, really). There was a trail on South Mountain called Holbert that was regarded locally as the ultimate tech descent, and I tried it once on my '96 Giant hardtail with a "long-travel" 3" fork... It was a slow moving, dismount-and-dabbing trials-style experiment more than anything, and I didn't return.

I took a few guys from Mojo to ride SoMo back in '16, and I thought, "hey, I should take them down Holbert, that would be entertaining..." Taking a group through there with all the hikers that day was not ideal, but I did discover that, 16 years later, I might actually be able to not only conquer Holbert, but with some momentum and flow, even...

I returned to SoMo later that year with @Ganderson; Greg killed his foot on one of our runs down National and took the next day off, so he offered to shuttle me on a trail of my choice, which was a no-brainer; Holbert. I was on the longest, lowest, slackest FS bike I've ever owned, which I actually expected to make the big boulders and and tight switchbacks more difficult, but instead, it was one of my best rides ever! It was even a busy Sunday with hikers, but they were all cool, and the comments and looks on their faces were priceless...

That was one of the most fun rides I've ever had, and I owe it to my time on the techy Austin trails.

The first 2 minutes are a nice flowy warm up, then things start getting steep and super chunky... some of the comments are captioned:

That was awesome!  The exposure looked steep even though cameras tend to flatten it out.  Loved how nice you were (and how nice they were too) to all the hikers.

6 hours ago, First-Blood said:

Give me a time estimate of when you will be burning circles in my front yard again and I'll be ready with refreshments

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Haha I’ll only ride your front yard again if you laid down that fresh grass! Otherwise, no destruction, no care. 

28 minutes ago, WLemke said:

I’m about to saddle up and pedal to brushy from my house. I’ll reply to your Twitter for better visibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully you can drop a quick note here por favor. I don’t have a Twitter account and don’t think I can see comments. Hoping to leave in 45min...but if not, guess I’ll find out either way. 

Hopefully you can drop a quick note here por favor. I don’t have a Twitter account and don’t think I can see comments. Hoping to leave in 45min...but if not, guess I’ll find out either way. 

Just hit snail. Just a notch moister than hero dirt. GTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, AntonioGG said:

That was awesome!  The exposure looked steep even though cameras tend to flatten it out.  Loved how nice you were (and how nice they were too) to all the hikers.

Yeah, I don't know why there is such a regional difference in hiker attitudes, out there but AZ hikers have overall always been really cool, even in groups (there's a group in one of my videos where they were clapping and cheering me on), but conversely in some places like CO, people do not want you on the trails, and the tension is palpable. This is especially true on trails close to Denver, like Apex Park and Dakota Ridge, and to some extent, even here.  CO hikers just don't want bikes on "their" trails, period, whereas here it just seems to be more about the inconvenience of having to deal with us.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gotdurt said:

Yeah, I don't know why there is such a regional difference in hiker attitudes, out there, but AZ hikers have overall always been really cool, even in groups (there's a group in one of my videos where they were clapping and cheering me on), but conversely in some places like CO, people do not want you on the trails, and the tension is palpable. This is especially true on trails close to Denver, like Apex Park and Dakota Ridge, and to some extent, even here.  CO hikers just don't want bikes on "their" trails, period, whereas here it just seems to be more about the inconvenience of having to deal with us.

The Colorado hikers vs bikes issue does seem to be mostly around Denver.  Only ever had one issue with an upset hiker between Breck and Dillon and none around Winter Park.  However along the foothills just west of Denver it's a different story.  Strangely never had any problems around Boulder though, I got more dirty looks when carrying in my rock climbing gear than when in my bike.  With Brushy you never know what you're going to get from the hikers and bikes some great people but a fair number for dbags. Maybe it's the proximity to metro areas.

51 minutes ago, Txduc said:

With Brushy you never know what you're going to get from the hikers and bikes some great people but a fair number for dbags. Maybe it's the proximity to metro areas.

I can't recall a single negative interaction on 1/4N or DD with fellow riders or hikers. Where I have had many bad interactions are on the easier trails like Picnic or Rim. From the guy with his headphones blasting so loud I can here it, to the dude who just won't get out of the way even though he clearly looked back and saw you. I only go full STRAVA® mode on 1/4N and DD and really just use the easier trails as a means to get somewhere else as there is way too much unpredictability.  

I've only had someone get uppity with me once on goodwater loop when it was crowded with hikers and she was in a big group and thought my slow ass was going to fast by them ...I tried to give them fair warning but people get confused on where to get out of the way...I told them to pick a spot and stay...maybe she didn't like that ...I ordered me a timberjack bell after that but still hasn't showed due to usps complications

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Txduc said:

The Colorado hikers vs bikes issue does seem to be mostly around Denver.  Only ever had one issue with an upset hiker between Breck and Dillon and none around Winter Park.  However along the foothills just west of Denver it's a different story.  Strangely never had any problems around Boulder though, I got more dirty looks when carrying in my rock climbing gear than when in my bike.  With Brushy you never know what you're going to get from the hikers and bikes some great people but a fair number for dbags. Maybe it's the proximity to metro areas.

Definitely worse near metro areas, but that's what makes South Mountain Park in Phoenix such an anomaly, and it also seems to have the highest hiker density compared to other metro parks I've visted. Brushy is its own phenomenon, which I attribute to it's proximity and immediate accessibility to so many surrounding neighborhoods, and the fact that it's the only convenient option for the northern communities.  

50 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Applies to road cycling as well.

No doubt, I used to commute from Leander to Mopac/Steck on my road bike, but that commute is what drove me to get off the road completely, it just isn't worth it. With that said, I also had a few problems in rural areas too; rednecks can be real pricks (coming from someone who grew up rural).

• Like 2

Just now, gotdurt said:

No doubt, I used to commute from Leander to Mopac/Steck on my road bike, but that commute is what drove me to get off the road completely, it just isn't worth it. With that said, I also had a few problems in rural areas too; rednecks can be real pricks (coming from someone who grew up rural).

For me the issue is more suburban as opposed to urban or true-rural (i.e. not a suburb of acreage sites).   True ranchers/farmers have to deal with tractors/harvesters/livestock on a daily basis, and they always give room, waive and I always waive back.  The closer you get to a road where people are commuting to/from a job, the worse it is.

In any case, it seems to me the world is an angrier/more-aggressive place lately in general.  I'm trying my best to not contribute to that so I thought it was awesome to see the same in your video.

15 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

I have a redneck buddy that likes to throttle his diesel and blanket black smoke on Roadies... I call him out for being an assshole but he finds it Amusing and just chuckles to himself

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

5 years ago I was on a road ride with a few buddies and a lifted diesel pickup decided to drop a black cloud on us as he passed by. As luck would have it, he hit a red light 100 yard up and we caught up to him. My friend was furious and immediately dismounted and got right up to the guys window yelling every expletive imaginable. Dude looked straight ahead and refused to make eye contact. Lol. All hat and no cattle. 

Edited by WLemke