IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

31 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

For me the issue is more suburban as opposed to urban or true-rural (i.e. not a suburb of acreage sites).   True ranchers/farmers have to deal with tractors/harvesters/livestock on a daily basis, and they always give room, waive and I always waive back.  The closer you get to a road where people are commuting to/from a job, the worse it is.

It's a different kind of interaction than it is in urban and suburban area, and maybe had something to do with the region (east Texas) as well. I grew up in Phelps (East of Huntsville), and have also lived in Oakhust/ Point Blank, as well as Trinity, and generally the farmers and ranchers themselves are great, usually the nicest people you'll meet anywhere... but those same areas are also full of "white trash", methy types, as well as an obnoxious younger generation. I've had trash thrown at me (including bear bottles), spitting tobacco at me, vehicles trying to run me off the road, diesel pickups that will pass, slow down, then floor it, leaving me in a cloud of black smoke, etc... mostly because they think it's funny, not because of any perceived inconvenience (as would be in suburb and metro areas). This wasn't just road biking, either; as a kid I would ride my BMX bike from Phelps to Huntsville on FM roads in the summers, several time a week, to visit my friends in town... every ride was an adventure.

On my commutes to Austin, Jollyville road was the worst, even with the bike lane; no one respected it, and I've had box trucks come within an inch of my handlebars. My last couple of years commuting here I hung the road bike and rode my MTB along 183 instead, riding sidewalks, the foot paths worn along curbs, and parking lots, and I actually cut about 10 minutes off my commute doing that instead of navigating back streets. On my return I would cut through the double track trails that used to be between Avery Ranch and 183, dropping down what is now called "Dave's Ditch" (this was pre-Deception).

The nice thing about trails, is that you have the opportunity to be nice to people and interact with them, helping shape their attitudes toward bikes, unlike riding on the road.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

I have a redneck buddy that likes to throttle his diesel and blanket black smoke on Roadies... I call him out for being an assshole but he finds it Amusing and just chuckles to himself

I've had this done to me on Parmer.  Tell your buddy it's actually dangerous for cyclists not just annoying.  For a few seconds you have zero visibility and on some roads and some speeds this is a problem. 

17 minutes ago, WLemke said:

5 years ago I was on a road ride with a few buddies and a lifted diesel pickup decided to drop a black cloud on us as he passed by. As luck would have it, he hit a red light 100 yard up and we caught up to him. My friend was furious and immediately dismounted and got right up to the guys window yelling every explicative imaginable. Dude looked straight ahead and refused to make eye contact. Lol. All hat and no cattle. 

This is my experience as well.  I've had some HS kids going the opposite way dart across the center to try to scare me.  I stopped, they stopped, I called them back to me making a "diamond" shape with my hands.  They kept on moving.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

I have a redneck buddy that likes to throttle his diesel and blanket black smoke on Roadies... I call him out for being an assshole but he finds it Amusing and just chuckles to himself

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Exactly! You actually posted this before I was done typing my post... and yes, it happened a lot.

58 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

That kind of chit will catch up to your azz. 

• Like 2

Oh wait ..... this is the Brushy Creek thread!

Glorious 1.5 hour lunch ride today. No douchebag encounters that I can recall, but I don't recall much these days. I do recall hitting Rim, PicnicX, Picnic, 1/4, and DD. None of it was too wet to ride, but needs a little more drying time to reach optimal conditions. Couple of inches of water still running through Dave's Ditch. Will definitely be back out tomorrow before we get another round of rain on Wed.     

• Like 9

2 hours ago, throet said:

Oh wait ..... this is the Brushy Creek thread!

Glorious 1.5 hour lunch ride today. No douchebag encounters that I can recall, but I don't recall much these days. I do recall hitting Rim, PicnicX, Picnic, 1/4, and DD. None of it was too wet to ride, but needs a little more drying time to reach optimal conditions. Couple of inches of water still running through Dave's Ditch. Will definitely be back out tomorrow before we get another round of rain on Wed.     

Don’t get too fast so I can keep up 😅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Txduc said:

The Colorado hikers vs bikes issue does seem to be mostly around Denver.  Only ever had one issue with an upset hiker between Breck and Dillon and none around Winter Park.  However along the foothills just west of Denver it's a different story.  Strangely never had any problems around Boulder though, I got more dirty looks when carrying in my rock climbing gear than when in my bike.  With Brushy you never know what you're going to get from the hikers and bikes some great people but a fair number for dbags. Maybe it's the proximity to metro areas.

My buddy lives in COS and at one point there was a guy wielding a hatchet chasing this biker.  Nuts.

1 hour ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Is anyone here able to make it up EBD on flat pedals?  Despite being in way better shape than I was a year ago, I can't seem to get enough umph to clear it.

Si:

Try going up a gear or 2. It seems like most people try it in too low of a gear.

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, First-Blood said:

No offense ..cause it was a tough feature at time of video. BUT. It is almost a foot taller now. I struggle with it now.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Okay, then try going up 3 gears, same RPM. Point being, momentum...

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 1

Okay, then try going up 3 gears, same RPM. Point being, momentum...
No doubt. I wasn't knocking it or anything. Momentum is key for sure. But the pitch is so much harder now. You definitely need to up your bike handling game now to do it compared to before.

24 minutes ago, First-Blood said:

No doubt. I wasn't knocking it or anything. Momentum is key for sure. But the pitch is so much harder now. You definitely need to up your bike handling game now to do it compared to before.

I haven't seen it since late spring, so maybe I need to see what has changed in the last 9 months, but up until then I hit it every couple of months and don't recall it being that different. In fact, I remember thinking on one of my later rides about how much 1/4 has changed in the past few years, but that DD hadn't changed nearly as much, comparatively. With that said, I started running on picnic and 1/4 a few weeks ago and have been shocked at how many people are on the trails now...

EBD is the only feature I haven’t conquered yet besides the rampage drop on snail. My speed barely gets the front tire up and have nothing left to push my weight forward for a good shove.  I need to go fresh and session it. I’m usually tired already when I get there 

• Like 1

I haven't seen it since late spring, so maybe I need to see what has changed in the last 9 months, but up until then I hit it every couple of months and don't recall it being that different. In fact, I remember thinking on one of my later rides about how much 1/4 has changed in the past few years, but that DD hadn't changed nearly as much, comparatively. With that said, I started running on picnic and 1/4 a few weeks ago and have been shocked at how many people are on the trails now...
You're also a beast on tech features too so there is that

EBD is the only feature I haven’t conquered yet besides the rampage drop on snail. My speed barely gets the front tire up and have nothing left to push my weight forward for a good shove.  I need to go fresh and session it. I’m usually tired already when I get there 

Yup fresh legs help. Sometimes I make the climb and then just sit and hold the tree right before the final punch. It helps to give legs quick break and also chart your path. But like gotdirt said....momentum is your biggest friend. Just need a bit more pull and then stand and shift action than when it was first built 

• Like 1

Jammer is very difficult for me. I don’t even remember the last time I made it up. The approach is tough IMO. There’s like one tire width line on the approach that works for me and if I’m leaning just a few degrees off when I go to hit the feature, forget about it. EBD...pfff, I don’t have the fitness anymore to make it by the time I get there. I usually just pop a wheelie and set my front tire up near the top and then walk up it, dejected. But oh well. I see the line I wanna take... it involves riding up it the way I used to be able to but I need to hit the root at the bottom with my front tire to get it going up the face. There’s a contact patch all the way up that way, but I don’t ride nearly as much as I used to and I’m not going to ride more so whatever. 

Edited by Morealice