IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

51 minutes ago, rugger said:

Hmmm...I think I've seen walkers maybe 3 or 4 times out there. Those were almost always nice weather weekends too. 

I haven't ridden there in well over a year, but when I did it was during the week, mid day, and I always encountered walkers. During the summer there are kids that play on the trails unsupervised.
We have several friends that live in The Highlands, Grand Mesa, The Fairways and Cap Rock; they all use the trails, some of them attend HOA meetings, and all of them, knowing that I used to ride there (I have ridden with some of them), the topic of the trails and controversy has come up on many occasions.

I don't know anyone in Travisso (the west end), but I'd imagine that their situation is similar.

20 minutes ago, horncpa said:

Any time I ride there I always make sure to be OVERLY nice to everyone I encounter. Try to keep everyone happy and that trail open 🙂

It's not so much about being nice or courteous, it's just the amount of bike traffic that has increased in the past year or so, and people parking in the neighborhood streets. It is becoming evident that there are more mountain bikers using the trails than live in the HOA...

I live just a short pedal away (less than a mile), and even though I didn't park there, I've still stopped riding there. The bottom line is that it is private property and is posted as such, and people are noticing the increased traffic. It didn't bother me to ride there early-on, because at the time, few HOA residents even knew about the trails, and very few riders outside of the area knew about them either (and I had been riding there since before any of these neighborhoods existed). But, that has changed.

2 hours ago, WLemke said:

Nice line @1:58! I always hang a sharp left up the rock ramp and power my way up. Your line looks much more efficient. 

I spent some time there looking for a better line a couple weeks ago. I found that line and it seems to require less power up top. It is just kind of hidden by the obvious line.

@Kobra Kai MTB Guy I have had my battles with it until recently. I couldn’t take it anymore 😂

Edited by Morris
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Morris said:

I spent some time there looking for a better line a couple weeks ago. I found that line and it seems to require less power up top. It is just kind of hidden by the obvious line.

@Kobra Kai MTB Guy I have had my battles with it until recently. I couldn’t take it anymore 😂

I had someone show me that same line on Saturday. Was planning to try and get a video to share it, because it seems like it will be so much more consistent than the bumpy rock ramp. 

And great video! Just shot after shot of sweet technical goodness. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 8:01 AM, GreenMTBrider said:

Lots of downed trees at Brushy. Trails are very slick in areas where water on the ground has frozen. Recommended not to ride until this arctic blast has past, trails have time to dry, and we have time to clear the trees.

5B3A85CB-257A-4D16-84A8-75D0B15AB35B.jpeg

I've got a pole mounted chain saw. If there's a work day coming, let me know

• Like 1

Today ARR Trail Stweards and crew were out at Brushy  assessing the damage and clearing the concrete Regional trail. We should have it cleared from the skate park to the ymca by the end of the weekend. I can't stress enough how bad the damage is, every trail is blocked with fallen trees and snapped branches. Based on what i saw its going to take weeks to clear all the trails.  We need your help more than ever before. The trails need to dry alot, but plan to come help next weekend.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Today ARR Trail Stweards and crew were out at Brushy  assessing the damage and clearing the concrete Regional trail. We should have it cleared from the skate park to the ymca by the end of the weekend. I can't stress enough how bad the damage is, every trail is blocked with fallen trees and snapped branches. Based on what i saw its going to take weeks to clear all the trails.  We need your help more than ever before. The trails need to dry alot, but plan to come help next weekend.

I had a really good time meeting everyone today.  Amazing how much we got done.  Basically cleared out from Skate Park to 183A and the portion to YMCA will be done later today.   Great job. We really made a difference today.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

This was a bunch of work, but glad to be part of the effort. However, with what I saw today, I agree the trails are going to take a lot of time and effort to clear. 

I look forward to more work days to be able to get back on the bike. 

Scott

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

My schedule makes it hard to attend work days.  Is vigilante trail clearing welcome?  

I was pondering the same thing... I have brushless chain saws and could possibly help make a dent, but with 2 busy businesses and trying to finish building our house, any "spare" time that comes up is more random and unpredictable, to say the least. So, it would be one of those situations where I suddenly find myself with a couple hours to spare and can run out and go to town on a few trees.

Edited by gotdurt

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

My schedule makes it hard to attend work days.  Is vigilante trail clearing welcome?  

Thanks for the offer to help. Since the damage is big we'd prefer to have organized crews with multiple people. These bent over snapped trees can be very dangerous, they have a tendency to snap back or fall in an unexpected direction. It's much safer to have other people there helping.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

Trail update: With some extra help yesterday the BCRT is now cleared from the YMCA to Olson Meadows, that's 5 miles in two days. Unfortunately, the 30+ miles of MTB trail are going to be much harder to clear. Please keep a look out for volunteer days coming soon.

Where will this info be posted?

Is there an email list I can get on?

11 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

Thanks for the offer to help. Since the damage is big we'd prefer to have organized crews with multiple people. These bent over snapped trees can be very dangerous, they have a tendency to snap back or fall in an unexpected direction. It's much safer to have other people there helping.

I was thinking more along the lines of clearing any lay-downs, down limbs, and around the snapped trees, so that there is less work for the crews to access, that way they can focus on the tasks that require multiple people.

22 minutes ago, HoneyBadger said:

This is truth!   I've recently watched a YouTube video of really bad mistakes when cutting trees or branches posted by experts at tree trimming.   It has some comical stuff, but some really bad stuff.

I walked a random mile of 1/4 notch at lunch.  It's a little too wet to fully enjoyably ride, but it would be possible.  I didn't see any giant dangerous trees on the trail, there were plenty of little limbs to be cleared that could be taken care of with a hand saw.  Someone has already been at work clearing quite a bit of stuff, I appreciated the tasteful light touch they have.

I worked DD W -> E up to EBD. There are 2 spots left that will require more than I had in me. I was toast at that point and had to bail. The connector from Twin Lakes to Snail needed a lot of work. It should be clear from the spot where you hop through the split tree all the way to Snail. There is a downed Juniper left that can be hopped over on the approach to the #2 ramp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1