IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

On 3/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, gotdurt said:

I actually thought about hitting you up, but I didn't want to get up before 8 😛

I couldn’t bring myself to ride yesterday anyway. Laid around on the couch all morning. That second dose of vaccine got me for a day and a half. 💉 

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably an overreaction here...

Anyone have a black yeti (I think it was a yeti) with orange badging stolen lately? Came up on someone on picnic wearing what looked like a brand new full face and what also looked like a very nice used Yeti. He was having trouble steering through picnic so it set some alarms off for me. Could also just be a wealthy guy wanting to start mountain biking. Can never be too safe!

41 minutes ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Probably an overreaction here...

Anyone have a black yeti (I think it was a yeti) with orange badging stolen lately? Came up on someone on picnic wearing what looked like a brand new full face and what also looked like a very nice used Yeti. He was having trouble steering through picnic so it set some alarms off for me. Could also just be a wealthy guy wanting to start mountain biking. Can never be too safe!

Wouldn't be surprised if a straight up noob was rolling on a high end. The game cams I put out really opened my eyes to fully decked out enduro guys in FF, pads that walk some of the easy stuff. Guys looking like they are ready for the EWS on their high end bikes, dress to the 9s only to walk Snaggle Rock, LOL. Compare that to a young lady who attempted and finally made it over snaggle on her 10 go just wearing her spandex and XC helmet. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Is it me or have I noticed (thankfully) a traffic decrease out at BC lately? People finally giving up this new found hobby they discovered? Less hikers and walkers and for sure less riders

They may be out doing more activities that they did pre-lockdown.

41 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Is it me or have I noticed (thankfully) a traffic decrease out at BC lately? People finally giving up this new found hobby they discovered? Less hikers and walkers and for sure less riders

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rode Snail, Rim, DD yesterday around 11, and it was very peaceful, although I did run into quite a few hikers and even some bikers. Still it was good to get out. I did have to pick a few web worms off my face and neck though along the way.   

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

I often ponder his topic when I see the full-face, heavily padded guys circling the parking lot at Walnut or Suburban Ninja. I think these guys have had a very different introduction to mountain biking than a lot of us did - friends making them get off the couch and go to Spider or RPR, that sort of thing - and they really have no idea that you don't need all that protective gear for normal trail riding. Then again, when I see them wobbling around on those high end bikes with coil suspension ........

8 minutes ago, TAF said:

I often ponder his topic when I see the full-face, heavily padded guys circling the parking lot at Walnut or Suburban Ninja. I think these guys have had a very different introduction to mountain biking than a lot of us did - friends making them get off the couch and go to Spider or RPR, that sort of thing - and they really have no idea that you don't need all that protective gear for normal trail riding. Then again, when I see them wobbling around on those high end bikes with coil suspension ........

People used to tell me I didn't need all the gear I wore riding my Ducati on the street. I was thankful for every single piece of it when I got hit. Gear is a personal choice, and *need* to one person is not the same for someone else. No reason to judge people for it.

• Like 3

I just added full face helmet to my needs list...  went OTB at East entrance to gumdrop.  Guy was stopped on top of drop face.   Had to hit the breaks hard.  Caught a stump and sent me OTB over the drop. 
Had to get stitches for first time in my life. 

33AB70D8-D7DB-4BBD-85A1-DDBDC2C84134.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Not usual but I do like to take my full face to brushy sometimes when I’m trying to get creative. I have kissed the floor twice already in that trail luckily with nothing major happening . I always wear kneepads. I saw too many knee injuries in my life and I value my knees too much. It is not about a scrape

more than the right rock catching the wrong place when I fall.

I’ve lived enough not to care what people think about it

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheX said:

People used to tell me I didn't need all the gear I wore riding my Ducati on the street. I was thankful for every single piece of it when I got hit. Gear is a personal choice, and *need* to one person is not the same for someone else. No reason to judge people for it.

Amen.  Motorcycling history usually has me in an ATGATT mindset.  There's no reason that mountain bikers wearing lots of protective gear should be judged.  Better safe than sorry and risk tolerance is a personal choice.  I'd rather see someone excessively geared up than not wearing anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, horncpa said:

stitches for first time in my life. 

Wow!  Congrats in making it this far!  Are you counting steri-strips as stitches?  I count them.  Out of my 3 siblings and I, I think I'm the only one that never got the split chin stitch or steri-strip, but I made up for it in plenty of other stitches/staples/steri-strips.

Sorry about your accident.  I saw a similar thing happen on Picnic.  I was going W-E and this guy was going E-W, I was going to make room for him but he decided to go to his right.  There's this little stump, maybe 2" in diameter max, maybe 5" above ground.  Stopped his front tire cold.  Thankfully he was OK.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, horncpa said:

I just added full face helmet to my needs list...  went OTB at East entrance to gumdrop.  Guy was stopped on top of drop face.   Had to hit the breaks hard.  Caught a stump and sent me OTB over the drop. 
Had to get stitches for first time in my life. 

33AB70D8-D7DB-4BBD-85A1-DDBDC2C84134.jpeg

Glad you're okay man! Teeth get expensive.

Wife gave me a bunch of shit for making pad up and use a full face when we were practicing drops. She ended up eating shit and came up with a helmet full of grass and dirt.  After a bit of tears, she said "now I know why you wanted me to wear a full face". 

Thankfully they are getting way lighter with better ventilation than before. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheX said:

95% of my OTB events have been from going to slow for the terrain.

That has been one of the toughest things for my wife to get past. It's the catch 22 of not having enough confidence to let go of the brakes for the fear of crashing, and crashing because she was going too freaking slow. Which only made her go slower. 

ANY crashes in CTX, particularly places with jagged rocks like some of brushy can be brutal. Not very forgiving when you get intimate with the earth.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Wow!  Congrats in making it this far!  Are you counting steri-strips as stitches?  I count them.  Out of my 3 siblings and I, I think I'm the only one that never got the split chin stitch or steri-strip, but I made up for it in plenty of other stitches/staples/steri-strips.

I am way over 100 stitches in my life- first set I was about 3.5 yrs old and I tend to get them every 3-5 years since.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Taco Man said:

I am way over 100 stitches in my life- first set I was about 3.5 yrs old and I tend to get them every 3-5 years since.

Wow!  I'm not over 100, maybe over 50. I've started doing steri-strips on my own.  I have a staple gun but I've yet to use it.  I used to ride Greyhound buses while in college, sat next to a ranch hand once who traveled with his own staple gun. Made sense.  No more waiting 3 hours in ER, no $1200 bill to insurance for 1 drop of super glue (kid you not).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Wow!  I'm not over 100, maybe over 50. I've started doing steri-strips on my own.  I have a staple gun but I've yet to use it.  I used to ride Greyhound buses while in college, sat next to a ranch hand once who traveled with his own staple gun. Made sense.  No more waiting 3 hours in ER, no $1200 bill to insurance for 1 drop of super glue (kid you not).

Last time I got a gash was when I faceplanted and my goggles dug a big hole right on the top of my nose bridge. Doctor happened to be nearby at the trailhead. He told me there wasn't enough flesh to stitch it up; so he just filled it in with some surgical glue. The good news is that it permanently removed my unibrow. 😂 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, TheX said:

Not judging - just commenting. I honestly don’t give a hoot what other people choose to wear or not wear. Full face helmets at Walnut always struck me as a little OTT, though.