IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

2 hours ago, HoneyBadger said:

I need to get my car bumper and hood repainted, anyone know of a good place?

It's no wonder the BC thread has almost ten times the number of posts as the R&I thread 😞 This would never have happened back on Mojo!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@GreenMTBrider

There are a couple sections on 1/4N with low/over grown branches that are causing some major visibility issues. The most egregious is when going E-W, there is a short downhill into a quick right hand turn. There is a leafy branch that you have to duck to clear and absolutely no visibility leading into the corner. 

Do you have any concerns if I went and trimmed it back later today?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WLemke said:

@GreenMTBrider

There are a couple sections on 1/4N with low/over grown branches that are causing some major visibility issues. The most egregious is when going E-W, there is a short downhill into a quick right hand turn. There is a leafy branch that you have to duck to clear and absolutely no visibility leading into the corner. 

Do you have any concerns if I went and trimmed it back later today?

No problem at all, really appreciate the help. All I ask is that you cut limbs/branches at their split off as opposed to leaving punji sticks. 

• Like 1

Alright. It is done. 

So I’ve always been in full concentration mode when riding but now that I walked the trail I could see that a downed tree was the source of the obfuscation. 
66586119-6205-467F-BDF0-541DBB0D7766.thumb.jpeg.73582db5aa7f4b41875aae07255c6377.jpeg

Here is the before looking down the trail. 
D783E95A-E75F-4563-8AD4-BF5CCBC3A049.thumb.jpeg.6ed097083e4687b3567b8fe5f45b5833.jpeg

And here is the after. 
61FE3E47-4FE6-49A3-9B4A-0A43A7B247B8.thumb.jpeg.47f99bbcbb4e2228a975ed5f7164087c.jpeg

Hopefully this will prevent some head on collisions. I know I’ll certainly feel better going full beans down this hill now. 

There are a few punjis that I’ll need a chainsaw to remove but they are on the inside of the curve so they shouldn’t be of any immediate danger. I’ll try and get out there on Monday to deal with them. 

Edited by WLemke
  • Thanks 5

Ended up at the rim loop this morning and said eh, why not. When I got to Dave's Ditch I was smart enough to walk the first drop because the only thing worse than stitches is stitches plus that nasty water. Man, I forgot how long that section was. I was 95% sure I was gonna see a water moccasin before I got to the paved path.

Oh, and I finally manned up and did the basket drop. But I took a couple of the easier lines. Did it 5 or 6 times so that next time I won't second guess myself.

Trails like 1/4 Notch may be good late today, otherwise I anticipate most trails will be good to go by tomorrow. Pretty wet out here now. 

The above also assumes that we get some sun and no additional rain of course. 

Is this sentiment still holding water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Went out around 7:15pm for a spin tonight. Ordinarily I don't try to go fast in this oppressive summer heat / humidity, but it was a matter of survival tonight as the horse flies were swarming. Ended up with my third fastest time on 1/4 Notch. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, throet said:

the horse flies were swarming. 

Thanks for the warning.  

I guess I'm not riding 1/4 until the fall now.  Did you really outride them?  Those suckers are the fastest flying insects.  In my experience it's impossible to outride them.  Got 20+ bites at Emma Long one time and many through my bibs!

In my experience, any measurable rain in July brings them out in droves. If rain halts, they’ll be gone in a few weeks.

There is a technique if out running them doesn’t work: (don’t wear bibs, or tight fitting jerseys) Stop. Wave your hands around to keep em off torso and keep a close eye on both legs. Wait for one to land and wait about 1 second. They can’t fly when they’re about to bite. Easy to kill them with a slap. Killed 17 of them once on GB. It’s not fun, but works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AustinBike said:

I would respectfully ask that you get to work because there are far more than that. Please report back when they are all taken care of. Chop chop!

+1

I have a tub of tanglefoot but I never deployed it at Emma Long since I wasn't sure it's OK to use.   Apparently the flies are attracted to the color blue, so people buy blue solo cups or blue solo plates, spread the tanglefoot on it, and use them as traps.  MTB riders have attached cups to helmets or plates to backpacks with some success.  I should look into trying this again...

https://www.instructables.com/Deer-Fly-Traps/

How is it that I've lived in central Texas my entire life and have never experienced being bit by a fly? Especially considering the amount of time I spend outdoors. Mosquitoes will get me occasionally but even they aren't bad around here.

I was out on Sub Ninja yesterday from 6-7pm and didn't see a single fly or mosquito. Maybe I'll hit 1/4 Notch this evening to see what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Thanks for the warning.  

I guess I'm not riding 1/4 until the fall now.  Did you really outride them?  Those suckers are the fastest flying insects.  In my experience it's impossible to outride them.  Got 20+ bites at Emma Long one time and many through my bibs!

I'm not going to say I outrode them but I definitely avoided getting bitten, possibly just lucky. I felt one bumping up against my arm a few times. Do they tend to disappear around dusk? That might have helped since it was starting to get dark around the time I finished.