IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

I've never noticed any links being directional, so I definitely learned something new.   I had one brand new powerlink fail in lap 1 of a 12 hour race once.  I wasn't shifting when it failed, just applying power.  Now I'm wondering if having it backwards could have caused it?  The failure was the plate failed.  The thin section that retains/locks the pin in just pushed out and let the pin go out.

100% agree on regular chain replacement.  I measure mine and don't wait for .75, I changed once it goes past .5 wear.  Wear seems to accelerate as it wears.  I get 1000-1300 miles (maybe even less the more Rocky Hill Ranch I do).

• Like 1

Sunday morning between 8:30 - 10 conditions for riding were really as good as they can get for Central Texas summer. I had no problem giving it 100% given the mild morning temps and steady breezes. Saw plenty of folks on Picnic and 1/4, but it was mostly quiet on DD, Rim, and Snail. Didn't encounter a single chain link issue the entire ride! 😏  

Edited by throet
  • Haha 4

On 8/9/2021 at 9:21 AM, RedRider3141 said:

I carry these, adds 0 weight since they are also my main trailside tire levers.

https://www.amazon.com/KMC-MISSINGLINK-LEVER-Missing-Lever/dp/B07662N436/

Not to drag out the chain thing, but have you or anyone had the pure joy of using these trail side and did they perform well (enough)?

Genius if so. Will purchase if so. 

14 hours ago, Morealice said:

Not to drag out the chain thing, but have you or anyone had the pure joy of using these trail side and did they perform well (enough)?

Genius if so. Will purchase if so. 

I try to always use my trail tools bench side first. I have used these 2-3 times, my chief complaint is they only do master-link disassembly vs assembly like some dedicated bench tools. Luckily, is usually pretty easier to use the pedals/ brake to set the master-link. 

Holy crap, that sucks!  What trail is that on?  I'm not familiar with any trees that close together at Brushy, and I have pretty wide handlebars at the moment (they need to be cut down!)

Edit: I think I recognize where that is on Double Down, but I could be wrong.

3 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

Had quite the fun little accident today.  Took me several attempts to dislodge the bike.

IMG_8046-min.thumb.jpg.44b489997947495c7223a89d6d426d9d.jpgIMG_8047-min.thumb.jpg.9398b991605558f066456015e71d1f8c.jpgIMG_8049-min.thumb.jpg.a0dec576cf7730e970b696df15afd1c7.jpg

That's impressive. I've wide 800mm bars and have clipped the bars as well but never actually get stuck. I just get tossed off and hurt myself. Did you GOTB?

24 minutes ago, Albert said:

Holy crap, that sucks!  What trail is that on?  I'm not familiar with any trees that close together at Brushy, and I have pretty wide handlebars at the moment (they need to be cut down!)

Edit: I think I recognize where that is on Double Down, but I could be wrong.

Looks like section called Tree Hugger between Truth or Dare and Wall (3ft near vert feature that is easy to ride up), looks like he riding W to E, so he just came up Truth or Dare. Either that or the cheater line around EBD, in which case going OTB would have been deserved 😄

• Like 2

Couple things I was thinking on ride today..

YMCA has got to be one of the tougher greens.
And on double down, at what point is it considered a passing grade ..would getting off your bike less than 10 times over the 3mile be considered a C- ...that was my goal and I dismounted 10 times with 2 dabs so I called it 11.

I'll tuck my head and kick my bike back over to walnut creek...

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

And on double down, at what point is it considered a passing grade ..would getting off your bike less than 10 times over the 3mile be considered a C- ...that was my goal and I dismounted 10 times with 2 dabs so I called it 11.

Don't over think it. Just do what you have to do to enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it at all, then maybe spend your time at WC. If you walk 70% of it but still can't wait to get back for more, then that's all that matters. Obsessing about where you stand and "dab stats" will only zap the fun out of it.

Just don't do like some and modify the trail to meet your level...

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, skinned elbows said:

Is fitness a factor or technical skill...or perhaps a lot of both. I find that fitness is a huge factor in dealing with the constant battery that DD throws at you. Not to say that DD doesn't pose significant technical challenge even for the fittest, but when I am less than fit I fumble on many features that I can easily clear. When I am really fit I have no dabbed 1/4 and DD (out and back) literally on TWO occasions, that's having been involved in designing/buildings and having ridden it probably over 1000 times. 

Like Casey says, don't over think it and just ride. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, rugger said:

Is fitness a factor or technical skill...or perhaps a lot of both. I find that fitness is a huge factor in dealing with the constant battery that DD throws at you. Not to say that DD doesn't pose significant technical challenge even for the fittest, but when I am less than fit I fumble on many features that I can easily clear. When I am really fit I have no dabbed 1/4 and DD (out and back) literally on TWO occasions, that's having been involved in designing/buildings and having ridden it probably over 1000 times. 

Like Casey says, don't over think it and just ride. 

No dabbing 1/4 was my original goal and I've since made it DD.  There are a couple parts of DD that I can't seem to get close on though.  So it'll be a very long term goal!  Doing 1/4 and DD out and back w/ no dab is crazy.  Well done.

4 hours ago, Kobra Kai MTB Guy said:

No dabbing 1/4 was my original goal and I've since made it DD.  There are a couple parts of DD that I can't seem to get close on though.  So it'll be a very long term goal!  Doing 1/4 and DD out and back w/ no dab is crazy.  Well done.

The video tour with feature names I have on youtube was a legit East to West no dab, thankfully, Brett riding with me is my witness. No dabbing E to W one way use to be relatively common...but since EBD and Jammer have gotten significantly more difficult it's not at all common for me now. Forget about W to E, the Grotto and even SpongeBob give me utter fits these days. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rugger said:

Forget about W to E, the Grotto and even SpongeBob give me utter fits these days. 

That's the only place I can't ride on 1/4 either direction.  I'll get the confidence to do it E2W someday, but I need to see someone do it in person W2E (I've seen a video).

I agree with everything else you say btw.  My best rides are the ones where I make it up or down something new.  I had one epic DD ride a few years ago and got 3-4 new-to-me obstacles checked off my list, but after that it seems like my MTB riding just slowed down a lot.  It'd definitely a place where you have to use it or lose it.

SpongeBob isn't bad at all EtW--certainly not as bad as the Mulligan exit. And I'm 90% on it WtE (not counting ChamoisHagar attempts, on which I'm about 0/5)! No problem going down it on the gravel bike though. 

I've only been riding Deception for 4 years, so it's only been hard and then harder, but I've one dabbed it both directions a few times. WtE my biggest issue is both the Grotto, Dare, and a couple of the 180 degree switchbacks. EtW obviously Jammer and EBD are the real challenges. I've been clearing EBD like a champ for a while now, and I used to always clear Jammer, but lately it has been the one to get me. Only once have I managed both of them in the same ride, only then to put a foot down later on something stupid. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Barry said:

SpongeBob isn't bad at all EtW--certainly not as bad as the Mulligan exit. And I'm 90% on it WtE (not counting ChamoisHagar attempts, on which I'm about 0/5)! No problem going down it on the gravel bike though. 

I've only been riding Deception for 4 years, so it's only been hard and then harder, but I've one dabbed it both directions a few times. WtE my biggest issue is both the Grotto, Dare, and a couple of the 180 degree switchbacks. EtW obviously Jammer and EBD are the real challenges. I've been clearing EBD like a champ for a while now, and I used to always clear Jammer, but lately it has been the one to get me. Only once have I managed both of them in the same ride, only then to put a foot down later on something stupid. 

I don't bat and eye on Mulligan and even launch it as far as possible, same with SB EtW. Jammer is a goodamn mindf@ck most days. WtoE Grotto, just fugetaboutit... Going from a 29er HT to a 27.5 squish has taking my percentage on EBD waaaaay down 😞 Seems like the Cradle gets in most peoples head...it's so simple both directions if you just commit and don't pedal strike (maybe close your eyes).

Yep, I've had those rides that I clear all the tough stuff and then something stupid trips me up cause I'm slippin' or too heavy on the front.

Edited by rugger
  • Like 2