IGNORED

Brushy Creek

4fun

17 hours ago, gotdurt said:

"dab stats"

Dab stats are reserved for when you are mastering a trail. Not healthy to pay any attention to until you're further along on a particular trail. Same with anything Strava. Good for seeing if you are progressing (AFTER the ride, no live segments) but horrible for paying attention to or setting goals for on the ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rugger said:

Cody's youngster hitting it should give you confidence. 

I see why you compared it to Sponge Bob.  The top 3 or so feet are very much like SB, but the runout is better at Cru Jones.

BTW, watching kids do stuff does not give me confidence.  I get more confidence watching old XC weenies like me do stuff.  Even better is just following someone I trust.  That's how finally did basket drop (rolled it though).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I see why you compared it to Sponge Bob.  The top 3 or so feet are very much like SB, but the runout is better at Cru Jones.

BTW, watching kids do stuff does not give me confidence.  I get more confidence watching old XC weenies like me do stuff.  Even better is just following someone I trust.  That's how finally did basket drop (rolled it though).

I feel you. Also, I think most people do simple roll down Basket. I don't see many people drop it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I’m an old XC weenie and I’ve done basket and Cru Jones on my old cyclocross bike, both when I was around 42. 46 now. Basket was wet when I did it, lol. 

Cru really is nothing on a full suspension rig. You got that!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Morealice said:

I’m an old XC weenie and I’ve done basket and Cru Jones on my old cyclocross bike, both when I was around 42. 46 now. Basket was wet when I did it, lol. 

Cru really is nothing on a full suspension rig. You got that!

Yep... I think you and I both fooling have dropped Cru on our wife's comfort REI bikes, LOL. I rode all of Picnic including Basket, Big Ravine, Beer, and both Upper Picnic drops on my wife's teal comfort bike with 80mm fork. Novara Flirt FTW...look at that "passive dropper post"

I did have to replace her seat and pedals.
Novara Flirt Women's Bike | REI Co-op 

Edited by rugger
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rugger said:

Yep... I think you and I both fooling have dropped Cru on our wife's comfort REI bikes, LOL. I rode all of Picnic including Basket, Big Ravine, Beer, and both Upper Picnic drops on my wife's teal comfort bike with 80mm fork. Novara Flirt FTW...look at that "passive dropper post"

I did have to replace her seat and pedals.
Novara Flirt Women's Bike | REI Co-op 

Haha that’s right! I forgot all about that. I injured my back picking up a pair of socks off the floor. *eye roll* Had to ride her Novara for two months or so. I absolutely thrashed that thing and only broke the pedals and bent the large chainring riding over The Log (when it existed) on Picnic. 

It was so comfortable it had me kinda wanting one. 

2 hours ago, rugger said:

True, they don't have far to fall, less gravitational pull and those rubbery bones help.

I once saw a kid from a ski class of 7-8yos get completely taken out by an out-of-control snowboarder, took his legs right out from him and laid him out on his back. The ski teacher rushed over, checked for broken bones while the kid was still crying, whipped out a baggie of gummy bears and gave him one. He shut up, stood up and skied away like it never happened. 

• Like 1

I think I asked EB before, but I don't remember.  I would love a map of the names of the features on DD.  Does such a thing exist?  I've cleared everything one direction or the other.  The one that gives me fits is Squeeze Play, one of those drops is a cinch...the other direction, I just can't get lined up to bunny hop it...it's driving me nuts!   Not too much trouble on the rest of it...I'm on a mission to no-dab DD.  

The video on the BCB blog with the feature names is like 6 years old and if I watch it again, I'm going to have a seizure.  Hope there's a map out there...is there one?

16 minutes ago, 2112Greg said:

I think I asked EB before, but I don't remember.  I would love a map of the names of the features on DD.  Does such a thing exist?  I've cleared everything one direction or the other.  The one that gives me fits is Squeeze Play, one of those drops is a cinch...the other direction, I just can't get lined up to bunny hop it...it's driving me nuts!   Not too much trouble on the rest of it...I'm on a mission to no-dab DD.  

The video on the BCB blog with the feature names is like 6 years old and if I watch it again, I'm going to have a seizure.  Hope there's a map out there...is there one?

This is the best I can do...I'd need to blow up Double Down to label everything in there and without pics, it'd be kind of pointless I think. 

rsGyXEiNcQFbZ0ZVJHvMjqW6ZLPFFCqonEzaRMk0k8Z3KnpQFuXz8PCHsALzdC2PLOwKSe4lRSDB3eaOA1BbX2MCs-HptYITqb-uyejAg1KOMWGuFu6E54HTY3SQq62oBKltdsmbBLGEff7wytTqQ5TcW6M9mFlKxBGwD9mpDOimVdSQ-9G1f5zVoR37Aq4qBWPcSWpa8k9bhvQTSSLUAWG8k8rhqiltRVr0rxPFaxS8dCBBzFFKB6d4CvdWWRRjRBLaeYsHNp9UAgNxLQXpJPWMAS0zdS8W_sNzex6Aa4kpbVhihBhRPpUoiiE2Y2jfklwu1yy7YSvlYT3ojjrf56--uZqmnLcWTV0DJOnHg571RMgmPJ8gcJD8lDowZ8rLI8bLUYtMxJdzp-SkA6J-S9fTjlU-zQLQeQCpJiFWURklzTVYjLbcb3ZhxTibsE4G0kyRv4P1Z82YYvHhjkpqBEOQbLI2Bpw1E-iEywzpUMXja9qE65lFuxgAXyRudew3NVG9M701QWtzxtgxS585MjZieAT9X0MwKuiyuVXYNAoi92fGoASF8GprGSB95H_CIiwgoeyezBr1HMSf2ovWYNryruWXpI7amC4fEXBgLWS76vkxAxVRA4i-5EGQ7VqsnStQkNvoRojEECSlNSeSkcQRBfxq5rVIFtLZrqHslF3ktW2heNwCAErgh5wO24_sZRmb0m5uqXau84Qxa5LUGaz7=w1271-h868-no?authuser=0

3 hours ago, rugger said:

True, they don't have far to fall, less gravitational pull and those rubbery bones help.

I often say that I must've been made of rubber as a kid. Sometimes I look back on the stupid things we did and absolutely cringe... we used to ride our freestyle bikes at SHSU, before "street riding" was a thing, launching off 10' staircases on super stiff 20" 48 spoke wheels and steel BMX frames with zero flex... a "huck to flat" that I wouldn't even consider on 8" travel DH bike now, makes my whole body hurt just thinking about it... but we didn't even think twice, it's just what we did.

Even further back, pre-teens, it was all about launching higher, HIGHER!... and we crashed a lot, but I don't remember anyone getting hurt... at least not badly. I remember one time, we were at my neighbor's house, and their (2 brothers) dad was building a detached garage, and the slab sat for some time. I remember it being about shoulder high at the back, so at 10-ish years old, probably about 4' high, with a gentle slope down a couple more feet to 2 or 3 stacked railroad ties, then a flat back yard. The driveway sloped down from the street, and we'd get as much speed as we could to try to clear the ties... after a few cases and face plants, we realized that it wasn't going to work. So, our solution, instead of going in to play Atari, was to build a ~12" ramp at the edge of the slab to boost us a few more feet high for a longer arc... We sent it over and over again, until we were bored with it, and decided that wasn't enough... we drug their rickety wood picnic table probably 20-30' past the landing (rural neighborhood, big yards), then propped up some plywood on some boards, so that we could launch them consecutively... that was a hoot, until one of the brothers cracked his '80 Diamondback Pro frame, THEN it was time for Atari... My Mongoose held up fine though 😁

And I wonder why I have so many joint problems now... 🤔

Edited by gotdurt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

If any of you are skiers or snowboarders you know that little groms hitting features doesn't count. 

My 6yo grandson just points his snowboard downhill, goes as fast as he can and tries a "jump" or a "trick" and eats it half the time. I would be a bloody, broken mass of bone chips and meat halfway down the first run of the day if I did it his way.

• Like 1

Remember when BCB was going to add a 3rd drop...much bigger next to the 2 on Upper Picnic...oh yea, you don't because the bitch ass Wilco Steward destroyed it. The t-post would have been buried, road base and then dirt to top it off was the plan. Here's the skeleton we got started. 

_w4yGRMlfBINMsNLm688R_eUyd1sCuC848OHEYxv9K2oB7tNAgtvG1VwdnXmmF2m-pbZ9keD3sbYPEvFMGpYXhYpj6sGD9rl1MmMBVxMNAEh8WCOXiCScHNhaJ7UiceJaNfAgp3iXQ7fDVGMmsAEzO1MKAuMbNDdZ2P0z-W_yAhf44jUQkaxD0IeP3YOXKU-IrZD3P4p41-WWCyN_yErTxUxOe7GHB-z9v8ZLB6MC-NQNht0eQMLIYq6UWqTAvLLmEpqRXlPSFImknUqIK01tWznHDC4XrhgtCeVqz-q6btNwg-Q4ujRk9M58G1q-AB6aiTQwrp9H8KptXGxXix6VCALRcGwQBKTZ8TXoHtkIcXvDcyPuHJ0XFWP_OSpobiySGfxieBt6mixKIK8k-Fx_MOW1OhPS1enmzsAtMIXHG3EwBDUpckf80gIWy2-E7VMLJyHOZWClip4Cu_VUZIIO2gFRDLOOuhN1echAx0XMPGW3o8rZqEBZILQZ7V1-qRZZkkQhVVWYb53A-LfbhqjDRCm0q51w9HuAomklj0YKPLImZIf1EUl2Qzraq7e6tS996fD3zQXu93ewbUx81Vln9Y7AesL3Yxu4IzLNVbf3obMeXl2H2CDZbXWYaoNJVBinaB5Gkv8k2BUJQzJV8zOZ70Hx99r8XYkHfwTh0plI_aATVwOr_vAAbYTzwdaD1xzm2xuWRXwzG3JpD-DWSnwQjPC=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

12 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Found the link.  I had it bookmarked.  Not sure it includes everything:

https://caltopo.com/m/BR36

That's just trail names...Greg is wanting map with feature names. 

NOTE: Josh's Caltopo includes planned, but not actual trails as well as closed stuff - Picnic XX, Secret Squirrel(rogue, but actual), Meg option, and of course Up and Over (aka 5.0) is closed.

Edited by rugger
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rugger said:

Remember when BCB was going to add a 3rd drop...much bigger next to the 2 on Upper Picnic...oh yea, you don't because the bitch ass Wilco Steward destroyed it. The t-post would have been buried, road base and then dirt to top it off was the plan. Here's the skeleton we got started. 

_w4yGRMlfBINMsNLm688R_eUyd1sCuC848OHEYxv9K2oB7tNAgtvG1VwdnXmmF2m-pbZ9keD3sbYPEvFMGpYXhYpj6sGD9rl1MmMBVxMNAEh8WCOXiCScHNhaJ7UiceJaNfAgp3iXQ7fDVGMmsAEzO1MKAuMbNDdZ2P0z-W_yAhf44jUQkaxD0IeP3YOXKU-IrZD3P4p41-WWCyN_yErTxUxOe7GHB-z9v8ZLB6MC-NQNht0eQMLIYq6UWqTAvLLmEpqRXlPSFImknUqIK01tWznHDC4XrhgtCeVqz-q6btNwg-Q4ujRk9M58G1q-AB6aiTQwrp9H8KptXGxXix6VCALRcGwQBKTZ8TXoHtkIcXvDcyPuHJ0XFWP_OSpobiySGfxieBt6mixKIK8k-Fx_MOW1OhPS1enmzsAtMIXHG3EwBDUpckf80gIWy2-E7VMLJyHOZWClip4Cu_VUZIIO2gFRDLOOuhN1echAx0XMPGW3o8rZqEBZILQZ7V1-qRZZkkQhVVWYb53A-LfbhqjDRCm0q51w9HuAomklj0YKPLImZIf1EUl2Qzraq7e6tS996fD3zQXu93ewbUx81Vln9Y7AesL3Yxu4IzLNVbf3obMeXl2H2CDZbXWYaoNJVBinaB5Gkv8k2BUJQzJV8zOZ70Hx99r8XYkHfwTh0plI_aATVwOr_vAAbYTzwdaD1xzm2xuWRXwzG3JpD-DWSnwQjPC=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

Is one of those two remaining drops shown in the pic called "Basket"? I go off of both of those routinely but have never figured out if they have names (not that I really care - just curious). By the way, big thanks to whoever cleared that low hanging branch beneath the exit on that first one (easternmost). I recall they even created a bit of a log roll from the cut lumber. Just noticed that this past weekend.  

11 minutes ago, throet said:

Is one of those two remaining drops shown in the pic called "Basket"? I go off of both of those routinely but have never figured out if they have names (not that I really care - just curious). By the way, big thanks to whoever cleared that low hanging branch beneath the exit on that first one (easternmost). I recall they even created a bit of a log roll from the cut lumber. Just noticed that this past weekend.  

The 2 drops pictured to the west are still there, they have no individual names. Basket is at the very beginning of Upper Picnic (the only 2 way area of Upper Picnic). There is a carsonite post that even reads "Basket Drop". It's the perpendicular, not angled drop - most people roll it. Basket Drop is the first thing I hit in the video...and I ride it the correct way, dropping it. Excuse all the other bullshit in the video...I was in that experimental video phase. 

Basket and both Upper Picnic Drops, as well of Big Ravine...

Edited by rugger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, throet said:

Ronan, Greg and I(Bill) converted that fallen tree to a nice send/roll feature a couple weeks ago.  It’s pretty sweet.   Now working on a berm right after it to help out.  

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

See that AntonioGG, shots fired.

I've always been pretty decent about resisting peer pressure, but this is why I'm even more tentative these days.  Note that the left x-ray is the front view, not a side view:

image.png.48419ec222155af7ee23fcc7202a7d80.png

There are days when I wake up in the morning with the first few steps hurt a bit, and every time I hit one of the screws on something, it's a good reminder.

I was luckier than Berm Peak Seth in that I did not have ligament or nerve damage though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1